Anyone know if there is a list somewhere of all the apps that can be provisioned on the work space? I'm aware of IT Manager, Work Drives, and Remote Desktop (by Grayson) but what else is there that I could utilize? Thanks so much.

Gary
    07-26-13 12:15 PM
    Anyone know if there is a list somewhere of all the apps that can be provisioned on the work space? I'm aware of IT Manager, Work Drives, and Remote Desktop (by Grayson) but what else is there that I could utilize? Thanks so much.

Gary
    This is entirely up to your company, but any QNX app (not Android) will be able to be made available to the work space. Your IT Administrator can set this in the BES.
    07-26-13 12:28 PM

Gary
    Most native apps can be provisioned to be used in your "work space" - but each app has to be "approved" by your BES administrator. In-house apps, company self made apps, can be hosted on the BES, or apps directly from BBWorld can be provisioned. All you need to do, is to send your BES administrator the link to where the app is on BBWorld and let him/her approve it, and have it registered into the system.There can be many reasons Admin wont/cant approve - but give it a try..
    07-26-13 02:40 PM
    That isn't the case though. Yes, any non native app can be provisioned but not every app can actually communicate with the internal network that BES resides on. The app has to make an initial HTTP connection to the MDS service. So I'm trying to track down apps/tools that are designed for this and allow me to access the systems on my network from my device.
    07-26-13 03:02 PM
    That isn't the case though. Yes, any non native app can be provisioned but not every app can actually communicate with the internal network that BES resides on. The app has to make an initial HTTP connection to the MDS service. So I'm trying to track down apps/tools that are designed for this and allow me to access the systems on my network from my device.
    Sorry only native apps can be provisioned through BES 10, non apps aren't permitted as they are not native to OS10, and there is a reason for this as it's very easy to inject trojans in Android applications which pose a security risk.
    07-26-13 03:38 PM
    That isn't the case though.
    Yes it is

But I didnt get the part where you needed the apps to be communicating with your company filesystem... sorry
    07-26-13 03:56 PM
    Those are the only three I'm aware of also. A great topic for investigation!
    07-26-13 04:46 PM
    Yes it is

But I didnt get the part where you needed the apps to be communicating with your company filesystem... sorry
    How about this as an example. PlayCloud 10 has some burgeoning support for printing over IPP.

If it could connect through the Work Space to printers on my corporate network then I could print to them from my Z10 wherever I am.

I think it's a good idea to start a list of apps that have been designed to connect to work resources through the Work Space. Todd Grayson's Remote Desktop for BlackBerry is the only one I know of.

Working in IT infrastructure I'd like to use a file browser to browse our network of Windows servers and their shared folders. I know I could map drives to file shares with the Work Drives app but to do that you have to know what the shares are called and where they are before hand, you can't just browse around looking for them from your phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 05:27 PM
    Just because the app is native doesn't mean it's designed to work through BES 10 for the reason I've already stated. Harmon.ie has an app that allows you to connect to an internal SharePoint server. It is designed a certain way (not just that it's native). Grayson's RDP app is the same way because at first it didn't work and then he worked eith BlackBerry to get it working with MDS. This is why I enjoy finding apps that can connect to internal systems. It keeps me away from Citrix Receiver type solutions and as an admin I can get things done quickly.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 08:33 PM
    I'd like it if Work Drives had a backend control mechanism based on policies. I have Good Share in place and that solution works based on policies. It's clunky since it's ios but it does work.

Posted via CB10
    johnnyuk likes this.
    07-27-13 08:35 PM
    Just because the app is native doesn't mean it's designed to work through BES 10 for the reason I've already stated. Harmon.ie has an app that allows you to connect to an internal SharePoint server. It is designed a certain way (not just that it's native). Grayson's RDP app is the same way because at first it didn't work and then he worked eith BlackBerry to get it working with MDS. This is why I enjoy finding apps that can connect to internal systems. It keeps me away from Citrix Receiver type solutions and as an admin I can get things done quickly.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like you need an iPhone for work, our guys at work (I work for an MSP) have iPhones that do everything without any issues.

I don't think developers for BlackBerry products thought that far ahead when they wrote the app to include complete functionality when installed on the work side of the device. You can't blame BRRY, you should really go to the developer and biotch at them.
    07-28-13 06:22 AM
    You can also connect to your work via VPN, or corporate WiFi, this should put you on the same network without the need for MDS to be used. While it is a workaround (kind of), it should allow most apps to communicate over your network through the work side.
    07-29-13 06:26 AM
    I'd like it if Work Drives had a backend control mechanism based on policies. I have Good Share in place and that solution works based on policies. It's clunky since it's ios but it does work.

Posted via CB10
    This definately needs to happen. Work Drives should be fully configurable through BDS. It's a headache we don't need having to get hold of the user's phone to configure the drive mappings, and it's a nightmare if later on the share has to move to another server.

We should be able to make Work Drive changes in BDS for the user that are then pushed out to the phone so the user is not required to lift a finger.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 07:01 AM
    You can also connect to your work via VPN, or corporate WiFi, this should put you on the same network without the need for MDS to be used. While it is a workaround (kind of), it should allow most apps to communicate over your network through the work side.
    One app that can't be used through a VPN rather than the Work space is Work Drives. It can only be loaded from the Work space.

I haven't tried other apps that way but I'm willing to out of interest if they are free apps. Anyone know of a file manager that supports SMB shares (Windows shares) and is free?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 07-29-13 at 01:15 PM.
    07-29-13 07:05 AM
    One app that can't be used through a VPN rather than the Work space is Work Drives. It can only be loaded from the Work space.

I haven't tried other apps that way but I'm willing to out if interest if they are free apps. Anyone know of a file manager that supports SMB shares (Windows shares) and is free?

Posted via CB10
    Note:

When you add a VPN profile to a user account, based on IT policy rules and device settings, both personal and work
    apps on a device may be able to use the VPN profile to access your organization’s network. For more information, see the

BlackBerry Device Service Solution Security Technical Overview
    Note:
    If you allow devices to connect to your organization’s network using a VPN, you must make sure that your VPN

network is set up to have access to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 to ensure that devices can communicate with
    BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 while they are connected to your VPN Network.
    For more information about profile settings and IT policy rules, see the
    BlackBerry Device Service Policy and Profile
    Reference Guide
    and the
    BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 Configuration Guide

From the Administration guide.

A VPN profile would put you on the network, work drives should work fine at that point since it can still be in the Work side of balance.

07-29-13 08:33 AM

From the Administration guide.

A VPN profile would put you on the network, work drives should work fine at that point since it can still be in the Work side of balance.[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/FONT]
    The point of view I was coming from was that you mentioned apps not needing a Work space / MDS connection to connect to work resources if the phone had a VPN connection. If your phone wasn't on BES10 a VPN connection wouldn't be any help for Work Drives as it can't run in the Personal Space. If the phone was on BES10 then you wouldn't need a VPN for Work Drives anyway.

I think what the docs are saying is that if your phone is on BES10 and you have a VPN connection active then the MDS tunnel can work through the VPN tunnel, like a tunnel within a tunnel, rather than the VPN tunnel replacing the MDS tunnel. Could be wrong, feel free to educate me!

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 01:27 PM