I'm installing BES 12.2 onto SBS 2011 and one of the problems I ran into was SQL. Initially the only way I could get it to install was to let it install SQLExpress. SBS 2011 installs its own SQL and runs several instances SBSMONITORING, SHAREPOINT etc. I didn't think it was a good idea to have the SBS SQL and SQLExpress running on the same machine so I'm testing installing the "bes" database into the SHAREPOINT instance. One think I had to do was to configure that instance to accept tcpip connections.

Is this a bad idea?

My choices:

1. Install into SHAREPOINT instance
    2. Install another instance and have its down bes database
    3. Let the BES installer install SQL Express and its down instance/database.

What do you think is the best option?

I'm going to test install into SHAREPOINT and see if I have any problems and I know that installing SQLExpress does work but I've only got 16GB of memory on this server so I don't want to waste it if I don't have to. Not many users and will only have 2 BES users.

Roveer
    10-24-15 04:54 PM
    It's just a database, you can put it on any instance you want. It's really not needed to create a new instance just for BES.
    10-26-15 07:47 AM
    It's not a bad idea. Blackberry dont recommend it because of the risk that SharePoint could crash the DB instance by putting too much load on it. But if you area a small operation then the risk is low.

From your specs and use case, it would be fine.
    11-01-15 06:02 PM