Just wondering if this is possible? Having the AD display name appear in the From Field on messages viewed on the BB? I know BB devices do not use the display name, only first and last name, anyone know of any work arounds, or 3rd party software?

Thanks

Chubbs
    05-16-07 08:49 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.com

I've never known of a way around this, but someone else might have a solution.

But, I have to ask, why would you want that? I know Active Directory sorts by Last Name, First Name. Maybe they could just change the option on the BlackBerry to sort First Name, Last Name, no?
    05-16-07 08:55 PM
    LOL I knew that would be asked. . its not that I want to do this, I believe it will be a requirement from my job. They add a tag after the display name, which officers would like to have appear on the BB. In AD it would appear . .

First Name: Chubby
    Last Name: Nubby
    Display Name Nubby, Chubby [Ruler of the Free World]

They would like to see the message on the BB appear from:
    Nubby, Chubby [Ruler of the Free World]

Compared to just: Nubby, Chubby
    05-16-07 08:59 PM
    Go into Active Directory, and in the 'initial' section of a users account (I hope you have a test account), in brackets, add the 'tag' and then see how it shows on the BlackBerry...

Example:

First Name: Navilyn
    Middle Initial: (MOD)
    Last Name: Esq.

So, it would show like this: Esq, (MOD) Navilyn - or something like that...

OR, better still in AD, after the First Name, enter the 'tag'! Ha, that should do it...
    05-16-07 09:06 PM
    Not a bad idea, I updated my test account, and sent a message, it did not appear, I will wait for the replication and see if it helps, I will update this thread with the results. Thanks man

Man I wish I could add that tag after the First Name .. but I know that would not fly . .lol

Chubbs
    Last edited by chubby_nubby; 05-16-07 at 09:14 PM.
    05-16-07 09:11 PM
    Didn't work . .
    05-17-07 06:53 AM
    Neither option worked?

In Outlook, try the same thing in the respective contact. Then send an email, and see what happens...
    05-17-07 06:59 AM
    Nope neither worked, Outlook checks the display name, so messages in Outlook appear fine, but on the BB it just shows First Name, and Last Name. I may call RIM, but I know they will tell me the BB can only show First Name, Last Name
    05-17-07 07:21 AM
    But, I could have sworn the BlackBerry showed the middle initial, too! So, that being said, I can't see why it wouldn't show a 'tag' if it was placed in that same field in Active Directory...

As a test, add something into a test accounts initial field in Active Directory. Don't add brackets - () - or anything like that...

Let me know what happens...
    05-17-07 07:37 AM
    Same results, nothing appeared on the BB, or in Outlook
    05-17-07 08:01 AM
    Dang it! Now am getting bloody mad! - LOL

Well, let me know what RIM says...
    05-17-07 08:03 AM
    Ok after 3 hours on the phone with RIM, they tell me that it is not possible in this version 4.1.2, or 4.1.3, he said on his BB it shows the display name, in the from field, and when doing a lookup from the GAL, not sure which version he is using, he wouldnt tell me. Maybe I need to look for a 3rd party vendor now.
    05-18-07 11:14 AM
    Thanks for the update...
    05-18-07 11:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD