I have installed the bes10 trial in a test lab setup and I'm happy i've got the basics working side by side with a besx I run for my old bold 9900. I have activated my playbook on this, but I currently do not have my q10 to try a full bb10 device until next week at the earliest. I am receiving email off the exchange server just fine, and have connection back to my 'intranet' while I'm out and about - but it is limited - more in a minute.

I was wondering if I could pick your brains on here with a few questions if I may please?

1) the playbook has no ability to access networked drive shares on my lan that I can see - I thought this functionality provided by the work drive app in BB10? As such does this mean this is not possible on the playbook, because this app does not seem to be available on the playbook?

2) I can access some intranet sites on my 'work browser', but not others. THere is a mixture of ports involved - some are on 80 and work fine, others are on a multitude of ports ( a minecraft server's dynamic map instance on port 8123 works fine for example, but a static page on the same server's default port of 80 will not work, returning 400 browser errors. A plex web interface on port 32400 is inaccessible, and just times out every time. All of these pages work fine on local wifi in the stock browser). Is there anywhere I should look to be configuring this, or is this as unexpected as it seems?

3) performance hit is much heavier than besx . Is 6gb of ram on a vm instance that I'm running both on adequate for decent performance? User base is test only i.e. 2 or 3 devices only.

any opinions I could really benefit from, as I'm learning a lot but still have scratched only the surface!

thanks in advance
    08-18-13 02:05 PM
    I have installed the bes10 trial in a test lab setup and I'm happy i've got the basics working side by side with a besx I run for my old bold 9900. I have activated my playbook on this, but I currently do not have my q10 to try a full bb10 device until next week at the earliest. I am receiving email off the exchange server just fine, and have connection back to my 'intranet' while I'm out and about - but it is limited - more in a minute.

I was wondering if I could pick your brains on here with a few questions if I may please?

1) the playbook has no ability to access networked drive shares on my lan that I can see - I thought this functionality provided by the work drive app in BB10? As such does this mean this is not possible on the playbook, because this app does not seem to be available on the playbook?

2) I can access some intranet sites on my 'work browser', but not others. THere is a mixture of ports involved - some are on 80 and work fine, others are on a multitude of ports ( a minecraft server's dynamic map instance on port 8123 works fine for example, but a static page on the same server's default port of 80 will not work, returning 400 browser errors. A plex web interface on port 32400 is inaccessible, and just times out every time. All of these pages work fine on local wifi in the stock browser). Is there anywhere I should look to be configuring this, or is this as unexpected as it seems?

3) performance hit is much heavier than besx . Is 6gb of ram on a vm instance that I'm running both on adequate for decent performance? User base is test only i.e. 2 or 3 devices only.

any opinions I could really benefit from, as I'm learning a lot but still have scratched only the surface!

thanks in advance
    You can access port 89 because no intranet sites should be on port 80. If your PlayBook is not on your BES then you should not be able to access intranet, depending on the configuration and the restriction levels.
    Check.with your BES admin and your intranet folks. But you should not be on port 80 on intranet.
    I
    08-18-13 03:19 PM
    thanks for taking the time to the reply but I am sorry, I'm afraid I don't follow what you are saying at all.

I should first of all point out I don't have a besadmin as I am doing this at home as a home IT project. Intranet I wrote as 'intranet' because what I'm really talking about is home pc applications with web admin settings on them. Its very home brew and not at all corporate, I'm just using the terminology that fits best

I think I have not made myself clear - a common fault for me. If my playbook is connected to my home wifi, the stock browser allows access to any site, any port. If out and about on someone else's wifi, its a good test as it definitely can only route via the bes10. I test via the work browser though, as that routes via bes10.

My connections work as follows:

server 1 - port 80 works fine, port 32400 does NOT work
    server 2 - port 8123 works fine, port 80 does NOT work.

I haven't got anything on port 89 - I presume you mention it as an example only of a non standard (80) port, which is what you would expect an intranet app to work on. You are saying that no app should be on port 80 on an intranet, and that may be true, but as my setup is not a true intranet it doesn't hold for me. Also it does not explain why I can't access an app on port 32400, or why a port 80 site works fine on another server. So it leaves me with this - where is the configuration in the bes that might affect this? If there is anything I can do to tweak this i want to. I would highlight at this point on besx, I experience no such problems with the handheld browser on a blackberry bold, it is only bes10 that is enforcing that, hence it comes as something of an unwelcome suprise. Again, I point out that I can't ask admins, I don't have any, its just me myself and I
    08-18-13 03:44 PM
    thanks for taking the time to the reply but I am sorry, I'm afraid I don't follow what you are saying at all.

I should first of all point out I don't have a besadmin as I am doing this at home as a home IT project. Intranet I wrote as 'intranet' because what I'm really talking about is home pc applications with web admin settings on them. Its very home brew and not at all corporate, I'm just using the terminology that fits best

I think I have not made myself clear - a common fault for me. If my playbook is connected to my home wifi, the stock browser allows access to any site, any port. If out and about on someone else's wifi, its a good test as it definitely can only route via the bes10. I test via the work browser though, as that routes via bes10.

My connections work as follows:

server 1 - port 80 works fine, port 32400 does NOT work
    server 2 - port 8123 works fine, port 80 does NOT work.

I haven't got anything on port 89 - I presume you mention it as an example only of a non standard (80) port, which is what you would expect an intranet app to work on. You are saying that no app should be on port 80 on an intranet, and that may be true, but as my setup is not a true intranet it doesn't hold for me. Also it does not explain why I can't access an app on port 32400, or why a port 80 site works fine on another server. So it leaves me with this - where is the configuration in the bes that might affect this? If there is anything I can do to tweak this i want to. I would highlight at this point on besx, I experience no such problems with the handheld browser on a blackberry bold, it is only bes10 that is enforcing that, hence it comes as something of an unwelcome suprise. Again, I point out that I can't ask admins, I don't have any, its just me myself and I
    I'm sorry!!! typo!!! Mean to say port 80. typing in the yard with no glasses is a nono for me and I always do it.

Port 80 is nearly universally used as a public, external access, so that's why it's OK. Most intranets are set up on port 443, for example.

Now, you're your own small business configuring yourself, can you make the switch? Server 2, if you're setting it up as an intranet, won't work because it looks for something not port 80.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/..._344267_11.jsp
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 08-18-13 at 04:03 PM.
    08-18-13 03:53 PM
    No problem. really I appreciate the fact that you have replied at all.

Moving the other server off port 80 is not the biggest problem, and I probably could, but it still doesn't explain why I can't access the service running on port 32400 on the other server, and why port 80 works fine on one server but not another. Just so you know, the port 32400 service is a 3rd party app called Plex, a media server with a webfront end. This I can't move unfortunately.
    08-18-13 04:15 PM
    These are all web pages, and not applications running? ie, not the actual game interface and things like this, correct? If that is the case, which are the specific errors you are receiving? Also, how are these sites running, are you using IIS, Apache, etc? Do you have firewalls running on the servers? By default, Windows does have a firewall setting for INTERNAL access, perhaps this is blocking your attempts?
    08-18-13 05:11 PM
    These are all web pages, and not applications running? ie, not the actual game interface and things like this, correct? If that is the case, which are the specific errors you are receiving? Also, how are these sites running, are you using IIS, Apache, etc? Do you have firewalls running on the servers? By default, Windows does have a firewall setting for INTERNAL access, perhaps this is blocking your attempts?
    Yes it's all web pages, no game interfaces or anything clever:

server 1 - port 80 based hiawatha static web page, its part of the MINEOS minecraft server - error is http 400 access forbidden ( no detail given by playbook browser). On same server, there is a dynamic mapping application which just serves a java script based google maps like html page. This runs on port 8123, and can be accessed fine - this is why I don't understand what is going on with the hiawatha stuff on port 80.

server 2 - IIS webserver on port 80 works fine. What doesn't work is the html web interface for an application called plex - this runs on port 32400, and is just html, nothing too clever. I don't know the web server technology used for plex I'm afraid. None of this is a problem with firewalls I'm sure of that, because I can access all of these pages on a laptop in my network connected by wifi. For that matter i can connect to it all fine on the playbook in the standard browser. This however gives no error - it just times out.
    08-18-13 05:28 PM
    Can you access these sites from the BES host itself. Remember, all work side traffic goes through the BES and onto the network.
    08-18-13 05:33 PM
    yes the bes host is a windows 2008 r2 server. logged on as the user the bes runs, using IE on the console it all works fine. Like I say, it even works fine on the playbook stock browser, its just the BES connected 'work browser' that won't work.
    08-18-13 05:38 PM
    Can you access these sites from the BES host itself. Remember, all work side traffic goes through the BES and onto the network.
    Thanks, Sith. I thought it was a ports firewall issue.

Sent from my beautiful, perfect, white iPhone 5 via Tapatalk 2...
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    08-18-13 06:06 PM
    yeah, it works fine from the bes host. Its not firewall I'm certain. If the browser on the bes host can see it, I still can't work out why the playbook browser can't.
    08-18-13 06:09 PM
    yeah, it works fine from the bes host. Its not firewall I'm certain. If the browser on the bes host can see it, I still can't work out why the playbook browser can't.
    Well I grabbed Sith for ya.....he's the resident BES configuration guru. :-D

08-18-13 06:34 PM
    lol . cheers for that, and if he seems fairly stumped so far, then at least it seems there is no shame in my failures to date

I have to wonder how my q10 will fare when I get it back. I will be interested to see if this happens on that device too, as i have read all sorts of things over the internet over the last day or so, one of which indicates the playbook doesn't play ball as well as a bb10 device.
    08-18-13 07:00 PM
    This also may be a limitation in the browser of the PlayBook which would make it not a BES issue. See if you can get your hands on a BB10 device and test it out.

If you can't find one let me know and I can help you out.

Also, Do these sites require authentication of any type?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 05:20 AM
    Also, check the BES logs for the MDS traffic and see if it throws any errors that are visible.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 05:21 AM
    hiya, got my q10 back from the shop today so I will see what happens when I use that. I too have my suspiscions about the playbook browser. I will report back on how I get on. Cheers for the offer!
    08-19-13 09:07 AM
    I wanted to do that, but I'm such an ***** with bes10 I don't know where to look Can you point me in the right direction without groaning too much please
    08-19-13 09:08 AM
    Change the logging level for BlackBerry MDS Connection Service log files
    You can change the logging level for the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service log file and event log.
    1. In the BlackBerry Administration Service, on the Servers and components menu, expand BlackBerry Solution
    topology > BlackBerry Domain > Component view > MDS Connection Service.
    2. Click an instance of the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service.
    3. Click Edit instance.
    4. On the Logging tab, in the File logging destination or EventLog logging destination sections, select one of the
    following logging levels from the Log level drop-down list:
    • To write events to the log files, click Event.
    • To write error messages to the log files, click Error.
    • To write warning messages to the log files, click Warning.
    • To write daily activities to the log files, click Informational.
    • To write additional information to the log files that can help you troubleshoot issues with the BlackBerry MDS
    Connection Service, click Debug.
    5. Click Save all.
    Change the interval that the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service writes
    information to a log file
    The interval that the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service writes information to a log file applies to all BlackBerry MDS
    Connection Service log files, including the event log.
    1. In the BlackBerry Administration Service, on the Servers and components menu, expand BlackBerry Solution
    2. Click an instance of the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service.
    3. Click Edit instance.
    4. On the Logging tab, in the File logging destination section, in the Log timer interval field, type the interval in
    milliseconds.
    The default value is 30000.
    5. Click Save all.
    Change the activities that the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service writes
    to a log file
    The settings for the activities that the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service writes to a log file apply to all log files, including
    the event log.
    2. Click a BlackBerry MDS Connection Service instance.
    3. Click Edit instance.
    4. On the Logging tab, in the Logging section, perform any of the following tasks:
    Task Steps
    Do not trace how data packets travel inside the SRP
    network layer from the BlackBerry MDS Connection
    Service to the BlackBerry Dispatcher.
    In the SRP logging turned on drop-down list, click No.
    Trace how data packets travel inside the gateway
    message envelope network layer from the BlackBerry
    MDS Connection Service to the BlackBerry Dispatcher.
    In the GME logging turned on drop-down list, click Yes.
    Do not trace how data packets travel inside the IPPP
    network layer from the BlackBerry MDS Connection
    Service to the BlackBerry Dispatcher.
    In the IPPP logging turned on drop-down list, click No.
    Monitor HTTP headers for request and response
    messages that the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service
    sends or receives when push initiators send push
    messages to BlackBerry devices.
    In the Push logging turned on drop-down list, click Yes.
    Monitor HTTP headers and the additional details of
    request and response messages that the BlackBerry
    MDS Connection Service sends or receives when push
    initiators send push messages to BlackBerry devices.
    In the Verbose push logging turned on drop-down list,
    click Yes.
    5. Click Save all.
    Using the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service log files to view
    information for connections to BlackBerry devices
    The BlackBerry Device Service writes data for each BlackBerry device connection that the BlackBerry MDS Connection
    Service processes in the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service log files.
    You can find the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service log files on the computer that hosts the BlackBerry Device Service.
    You can identify BlackBerry MDS Connection Service log files by the component identifier MDAT in the log file name.
    Administration Guide Maintaining and monitoring
    Log file example: BlackBerry device user initiates the proxied connection
    <LAYER = IPPP, DEVICEPIN = u29, DOMAINNAME = test.rim.net,
    CONNECTION_TYPE = DEVICE_CONN, CONNECTIONID = 852164874, DURATION(ms)
    = 3500, MFH_KBytes = 0.908, MTH_KBytes = 38.218, MFH_PACKET_COUNT = 1,
    MTH_PACKET_COUNT = 2>
    Log file example: BlackBerry Device Service initiates the connection (push)
    <LAYER = IPPP, DEVICEPIN = <devicepin>, DOMAINNAME = kmtestd,
    CONNECTION_TYPE = PUSH_CONN, CONNECTIONID = -432667474, DURATION(ms) =
    600090, MFH_KBytes = 0, MTH_KBytes = 10.477, MFH_PACKET_COUNT = 0,
    MTH_PACKET_COUNT = 4>
    Information in BlackBerry MDS Connection Service log files for connections to
    BlackBerry devices
    Attribute Description
    LAYER Protocol layer that the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service uses to proxy BlackBerry
    device connections
    DEVICEPIN PIN or BlackBerry Device Service user ID of the BlackBerry device that connects
    using a proxy server
    DOMAINNAME Domain that requests the BlackBerry device connection
    CONNECTION_TYPE Initiator of the proxied connection, which can be either the BlackBerry device user
    (DEVICE_CONN) or BlackBerry Device Service (PUSH_CONN )
    CONNECTIONID Unique identifier for an IPPP connection, where - (minus sign) indicates a push
    connection
    DURATION(ms) Duration of the proxied BlackBerry device connection, in milliseconds
    MFH_KBytes Size of messages that the BlackBerry device sends, in KB
    MTH_KBytes Size of messages that the BlackBerry device receives, in KB
    MFH_PACKET_COUNT Number of packets that the BlackBerry device sends
    MTH_PACKET_COUNT Number of packets that the BlackBerry device receives
    08-19-13 09:37 AM
    actually forget that. project cancelled. Thanks for the info and the help, but bes10 has now decided to just stop working on my server, and I can't access any of the admin pages at all. My first besx instance just did this and I never got that working again, it required a reinstall, and I can't be bothered. Reboots don't help, and nothing has changed. I give up. Thank you for the help, but I'm done with this now.
    08-19-13 11:28 AM
    actually forget that. project cancelled. Thanks for the info and the help, but bes10 has now decided to just stop working on my server, and I can't access any of the admin pages at all. My first besx instance just did this and I never got that working again, it required a reinstall, and I can't be bothered. Reboots don't help, and nothing has changed. I give up. Thank you for the help, but I'm done with this now.
    Aaawwww no....are you sure?!?? If you're frustrated walk away for a while or a few days. There is probably a simple explanation.

08-19-13 11:36 AM
    Check the services, see if they are running. Specifically look for BAS-AS and BAS-NCC. BAS-AC will use (sometimes significantly more) than 400MB of system resources in task manager. If it is less than that, it isnt working.
    offyoutoddle likes this.
    08-19-13 11:54 AM
    In both cases I have 2 processes for each, presumably one relates to the besx, the other to the bes10.

I can distinguish from the file locations so I will just give you the bes10 process details

BAS-AS - 624,316k and climbing as of time of writing
    BAS-NCC - one of 403,596k. - fairly stable.
    08-19-13 12:31 PM
    Check the services, see if they are running. Specifically look for BAS-AS and BAS-NCC. BAS-AC will use (sometimes significantly more) than 400MB of system resources in task manager. If it is less than that, it isnt working.
    You're so good.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    08-19-13 12:50 PM
    ok, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat....

it has chosen to work now. I have no explanation. It just did. I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

The admin console works, and the q10 is now added and activated first time without problems. First off, it seems the network access to webspaces is right - Sith Apprentice, your suspicion about the playbook browser appears confirmed - all sites behave normally in the q10 browser. They also still misbehave on the playbook. My original problem is now resolved it appears, and was simply a product of the way playbooks behave with bes10.

Thank you so much to both of you for your help in resolving this, it was driving me nuts! Its nice when people are so helpful when you have a problem like this!

Now I have to have a litttle play and see how I get on with it and decide if I want to fork out for a license - I know they have an offer on at the moment, I can possibly bag myself a q10 license and get 2 free extra ones as I've activated before the end of the month. What I don't know is I just register the q10 under trial, if I have to buy at least one license or if I can continue to use the 2 free I'm granted after. I don't suppose I could push my luck here and ask if anyone knows that? :P
    08-19-13 01:08 PM
    ok, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat....

it has chosen to work now. I have no explanation. It just did. I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

The admin console works, and the q10 is now added and activated first time without problems. First off, it seems the network access to webspaces is right - Sith Apprentice, your suspicion about the playbook browser appears confirmed - all sites behave normally in the q10 browser. They also still misbehave on the playbook. My original problem is now resolved it appears, and was simply a product of the way playbooks behave with bes10.

Thank you so much to both of you for your help in resolving this, it was driving me nuts! Its nice when people are so helpful when you have a problem like this!

Now I have to have a litttle play and see how I get on with it and decide if I want to fork out for a license - I know they have an offer on at the moment, I can possibly bag myself a q10 license and get 2 free extra ones as I've activated before the end of the month. What I don't know is I just register the q10 under trial, if I have to buy at least one license or if I can continue to use the 2 free I'm granted after. I don't suppose I could push my luck here and ask if anyone knows that? :P

Admin console can be flaky, especially with Java, make sure to NOT update java automatically. There is a KB on how to update if you want to go through that process.

I am very glad the browser seems to work, and the PB browser hasnt really been updated in over a year. The Q is SIGNIFICANTLY better

You are most welcome for the help, it is what we are here for!

Best way to get the license is to go through the offer page, you will likely have to purchase now and receive the 2 additional CALs. These are also (IIRC) perpetual CALs so its a one time fee (should be). Best of luck and dont hesitate to ask any more quesitons!
    offyoutoddle likes this.
    08-21-13 07:39 AM
38 12