Hey everyone!

I just ordered the Q5 online, got it for 20000 bucks on a special offer. Oh yeah, this is Indian currency in case you were confused.

Anyway, I have this feeling that people don't care about the Q5. It has fewer apps available than the Q10, and 10.2 OS already has features that aren't available for Q5, Q10 or the Z10(USB Host). Does anyone else feel BlackBerry is just going to keep rolling out updates, and then one day stop updates for the Q5? I don't know why, I just have this feeling.
    10-17-13 03:20 PM
    The Q5 runs the same operating system as the Q10... there is no reason for one to be updated and not there other.. as far as as apps.. that's up to developers.
    loyalIND likes this.
    10-17-13 03:32 PM
    Like any other phone, the Q5 will eventually stop receiving updates, but I doubt it'll be any earlier than the rest of the current BB10 devices - the hardware is very much capable, even more so than the Z10 in some ways. The Z10 can't do Miracast, WiFi Direct, or FM Radio, while the Q5 will have all of these features in future updates. It doesn't have USB Host, but only the Z30 has the hardware for that.

As for apps, BlackBerry did what they could regarding apps for the Q5 - Q10 apps were automatically marked as available for the Q5 when the phone came out, unless the developer opted out. With any apps that have come since then, it's up to the developer to mark it as available for the Q5. If there are any apps available on the Q10 you'd like on your Q5, your best bet is to contact the developer and ask them to make it available.
    loyalIND likes this.
    10-17-13 03:33 PM
    Hey everyone!

I just ordered the Q5 online, got it for 20000 bucks on a special offer. Oh yeah, this is Indian currency in case you were confused.

Anyway, I have this feeling that people don't care about the Q5. It has fewer apps available than the Q10, and 10.2 OS already has features that aren't available for Q5, Q10 or the Z10(USB Host). Does anyone else feel BlackBerry is just going to keep rolling out updates, and then one day stop updates for the Q5? I don't know why, I just have this feeling.
    Doesn't India use rupees, not dollars? I'm confused...

...I just made the connection that the Legend of Zelda games use rupees just like some countries in real life.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 03:44 PM
    Doesn't India use rupees, not dollars? I'm confused...

Posted via CB10
    We do use rupees, sometime people(me) end up saying 'bucks' as well. Please don't think I'm not patriotic. GO INDIA.
    Last edited by loyalIND; 10-17-13 at 04:33 PM. Reason: I CAN'T BELIEVE I WROTE THAT.
    10-17-13 04:13 PM
    Like any other phone, the Q5 will eventually stop receiving updates, but I doubt it'll be any earlier than the rest of the current BB10 devices
    Agree. On a separate note, when do you expect that to happen?
    10-17-13 04:16 PM
    Hey everyone!

I wonder how Q5 sales are doing.
    I downgraded from Q10 to Q5 2 weeks ago for a couple of good reasons and couldn't be happier. I'm not missing any feature nor app and think the Q5 is a phantastic phone. I hope that BBRY (or whoever) continues to support it for a long long time, and that the Q series gets extended and developed in the months and years to come.
    loyalIND likes this.
    10-17-13 04:24 PM
    Agree. On a separate note, when do you expect that to happen?
    Very tough to call, but I would guess that roughly a year from now is a reasonable timeframe - longer if we get lucky, shorter if things with the company go more sour than I'm anticipating.
    loyalIND likes this.
    10-17-13 04:37 PM
    I think it will be supported as long as the Q10. Any features it does not get are due to the hardware being trimmed down a little. I intend to use mine until a new Q comes out and either my contract expires or my Q5 breaks, whichever comes first.
    10-19-13 12:52 AM
    That USB-host stuff everybody is raging about is not a pure software feature. Thinking back to Symbian^3, it also had USB-host enabled for the OS. However not every Symbian device supported this function, in fact only the more expensive flagship or business models came with it.
    So you can't simply update the existing phones (Z10/Q10/Q5) without upgrading the USB hardware first. The other basic features, which are independent on hardware, are all the same across the devices.

Regarding to apps this is more a problem of developers not enabling support for the Q5. If you get information about a certain app which is not available on the Q5 but it is one the Q10, I highly recommend to contact the developer. There is virtually no reason why any app runs on a Q10 but doesn't on a Q5.

Last but not least every phone gets outdated sooner or later. Considering BlackBerry can keep moving like they want to, I am pretty sure we'll see at least one other major update for the current device range, but there will be a time when BB10 development will be so advanced, the initial 2013 year's phones will cease to get new, major updates. I doubt BlackBerry will drop (software) support for the Q5 any time soon, at least not if they can keep operating.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    loyalIND likes this.
    10-19-13 02:57 AM