I'm thinking about maybe getting a Q5. It's cheap n should work for me. I just wanna know, does it have text-to-speech (TTS)? What are the best features about the BlackBerry Q5?
    05-15-14 12:01 AM
    I got mine a few days ago. So far I like it. I haven't learned everything yet but I believe it has some voice assistant. The keyboard is great and the os is nice. I also am ordering a Q10. I had a bold 9900. If you want a qwerty phone that will not break the bank then you should be fine. Let's see what others say since I am new to this phone. Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    anon8091350 and red5gary like this.
    05-15-14 01:51 AM
    I had used a Q5 for one week before switching to a Q10. Hardware wise, they are very similar except Q10 has better build quality and LED screen. Q5 has a larger battery and no double typing issue on its keyboard. Moreover, Q5 is cheaper. One major weakness on Q5 is its camera. If you don?t take photos on your phone, then Q5 is your better choice.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10
    red5gary likes this.
    05-15-14 02:04 AM
    I have a Q5 as my daily device and use my Z10 as a media/game player. I love the keyboard on both devices, but nothing beats a physical keyboard and will eventually upgrade my Z10 to a Z30.

Posted via CB10
    red5gary likes this.
    05-15-14 02:41 AM
    I had a 5 for a week and the battery life was about 1/2 a day for me compared to my Q10 which lasted all day. Couldn't install another battery as it is not removable on the 5. Also found the 10 faster. HDMI was important to me and no where to be found on the 5. Just a few pointers from my experience

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    red5gary and Alvin Loh like this.
    05-15-14 03:37 AM
    Hi!
    Just switched from Q10 to Q5 because of the double typing error on the Q10. I find the Q5's keyboard better for my huge hands. The OS runs just as smooth as the Q10's. I wonder where the observed speed difference occurs. Loading 1000s of pics from my SD card is the only point that I could really see. Camera is worse on the Q5, lack of hdmi can be tackled by a miracast-to hdmi dongle, an elegant solution actually. Since the battery in my Q5 lasts longer than in my Q10, I don't miss swappable battery.
    Voice control is not yet a strength of BB10, on either Q10 or 5, but I must confess I speak with an intense accent.
    -pac

Posted via CB10
    mas_quemex and red5gary like this.
    05-15-14 05:35 AM
    I'd love a Q5 if I could get one for 150 usd

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.2234 / T-Mobile USA
    05-15-14 06:42 AM
    Make sure you did a LONG initial charge on that battery to fully activate. If you didn't do 24 hours before setting up, it's not too late. :-)
    red5gary likes this.
    05-15-14 06:55 AM
    I just picked up a used like new Q5 for $60!

My plan is to have it as a back up phone in case my Note were to break. Not going to lie though, I am kind of having fun messing around with it right now. The build quality on it wasn't near as "cheap" as I though. It seems like a pretty solid phone.
    I used to have a Q10 and can honestly say that the OS runs the exact same on the Q5 as it did on the Q10. The only difference is hardware.

Posted via CB10
    red5gary likes this.
    05-16-14 08:23 AM
    I had used a Q5 for one week before switching to a Q10. Hardware wise, they are very similar except Q10 has better build quality and LED screen. Q5 has a larger battery and no double typing issue on its keyboard. Moreover, Q5 is cheaper. One major weakness on Q5 is its camera. If you don?t take photos on your phone, then Q5 is your better choice.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10
    Q10 has AMOLED.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 09:50 AM
    I just picked up a used like new Q5 for $60!

Posted via CB10
    I'm jealous! Q5 looks cool and modern and the keyboard feels great. Hopefully one day I'll be able to get one for a reasonable price.

05-16-14 05:29 PM
    My wife has the 5. I picked it out for her and she is very happy with it. Yes the screen is a bit smaller, but she much prefers it over her work torch.

Posted via CB10
    red5gary likes this.
    05-16-14 05:44 PM
    i have a z10 and my buddy has a q5, whenever i look at his q5 i feel like i want to steal it from him.
    05-16-14 05:55 PM
    I'm jealous! Q5 looks cool and modern and the keyboard feels great. Hopefully one day I'll be able to get one for a reasonable price.

Haha I know what you mean. Originally the lady was asking $100, but she settled on 60 right away. I never thought I would like the chiclet style keyboard after having a 9900 and a Q10, but I find that my fat thumbs glide over the buttons better!

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 08:22 PM
    Hi!
    Just switched from Q10 to Q5 because of the double typing error on the Q10. I find the Q5's keyboard better for my huge hands. The OS runs just as smooth as the Q10's. I wonder where the observed speed difference occurs. Loading 1000s of pics from my SD card is the only point that I could really see. Camera is worse on the Q5, lack of hdmi can be tackled by a miracast-to hdmi dongle, an elegant solution actually. Since the battery in my Q5 lasts longer than in my Q10, I don't miss swappable battery.
    Voice control is not yet a strength of BB10, on either Q10 or 5, but I must confess I speak with an intense accent.
    -pac

Posted via CB10
    How does this miracast-to HDMI dingle work? I was thinking of getting a Q5 for my daughter but since it does not have the HDMI, I have been holding off. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 09:51 AM
    I got my Q5 about 3 weeks and no complain (until today). Battery is great (more than 12 hours) with all apps running (Facebook, iGrann, Path, Twitter & some news apps). Camera is so-so but its OK to take picts for IG or Path. The most important is I LIKE IT CLICKY KEYBOARD SOUND..!!
    red5gary likes this.
    05-17-14 09:32 PM
    How does this miracast-to HDMI dingle work? I was thinking of getting a Q5 for my daughter but since it does not have the HDMI, I have been holding off. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    It's just a little adapter that plugs into your hdtv and converts it to miracast.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 09:51 AM
    I just picked up the Q5 today. Using it right now and it is great! I also use a Z10 as my daily phone but am liking the Q5.

Posted via CB10
    red5gary likes this.
    05-18-14 06:24 PM
    I love Q5 I switch from Q10. Reason is : Q5 more modern (battery place, sim card place,memory place) and I think IPS is Better. And other important for me is colors. Q5 Red in great...

Posted Via My Lovely Red Q5
    red5gary likes this.
    05-18-14 08:44 PM
    Alright, to be fair, I have replaced the body and keyboard of my black Q5 with a red one, and I likely need some new adhesive. On top of that, the lower left screw is stripped and can't screw in all the way.

That aside, the phone really does feel cheap compared to the Q10 that I had for a while: The dust under the screen thing is a valid complaint. I've seen some in there, and I've been able to tap my phone on a desk to get it out. Added to that, I can feel the screen seems to be popping out of the casing on one side, just enough to make a bit of a click whenever I tap there.

The SD/SIM card door is loose, and has been since I got the phone, with the original housing and the red. There's just no way to keep it securely in place.

The entire back of the phone feels like it's creaking sometimes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

That said, I still really like the phone. I prefer the tic-tac keyboard to the Q10's solid keyboard, and there are fewer parts so it(the keyboard) doesn't break as easily. It sounds a bit clickier, but I'm alright with that. (the difference being that on the Q10 the keyboard is glued to the little pressure domes that are the keys, where the pressure domes are built into the Q5s mainboard, and the keyboard just sits on top. Q10 double-typing can be caused by dust getting between the keyboard and the pressure dome, and getting stuck there due to the adhesive. Q5 doesn't have that problem)

And I honestly think that if you get one of the coloured ones, the Q5 looks nicer than the Q10. Rubberized back, and slightly sturdier construction and this thing would be boss.

OS-wise, apart from not having dark theme everywhere (which I don't mind, 'cause 10.3 I think looks better in light theme) I haven't noticed any real difference performance-wise between the Q5 and the Q10, though I don't do gaming on my phone, and close my active frames when I'm not using them.

I really miss the Q10s AMOLED screen though... =(
    red5gary likes this.
    05-19-14 06:50 AM
    I switched from q10 to q5, had loose battery door and double typing issue. I don't agree with others and I feel the q5 feels the same in hand quality wise. The benefit of the oled screen for reeding in sunlight wasn't there for me either, I can read the q5 screen just as well and I feel the q5 has better colour too. Typing is more solid and I'm faster already on the q5. I'm getting longer battery life on it as well. Q5 doesn't seem to have 5gh wifi but to be honest I couldn't care less and actually like it. 2.4 is less battery drain and i've never transferred files from phone that were large enough for me to be wishing for a faster transfer rate.

I wouldn't hesitate. grab one, they rock!
    red5gary and so crow like this.
    05-19-14 01:25 PM
    To bad the three small guys don't have the Q5 in white...that would be sweet. I guess red or black will do then. The more I look at the phone, the more I like it.
    05-19-14 05:54 PM
    Well I have had the Q5 for a few weeks now. Originally it was only going to be a back up phone in case my Note 3 went down. As of right now, I find myself picking it up quite often to play around on.
    Now this evening I have figured out how to use Snap....holy moly! Where was snap a year and a half ago!!! This is awesome. I have all the apps that I actually frequently used on my Note 3, now on my Q5.
    I very well may switch to the Q5 now. I am liking the keyboard again!

Sent from my Q5 using Tapatalk
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    06-05-14 10:28 PM
    The Q5 is nice simple device for the $150.00 I paid for it from Koodo, without a case kinda looks like cheap plastic and very easy to drop,way too smooth no grip what so ever, if you do plan to get one get a gel case for sure,i have mine in a leather style wallet it's good for me so far, overall it's okay you can't compare it to the more expensive devices though, it is what it is for the price this device reminds me of the Curve 9360 which was a nice device too! I switch from time to time Z10 to Z30 and now Q5. All great Blackberry devices. No matter what you can't go wrong!

Via my BBQ5 running 10.3.0.442
    06-06-14 06:04 AM
    Your running 10.r on q5? My phone doesn't get this update? Am in the UK though

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 01:36 PM
71 123