I had to update about 20 apps before it would let me delete them to make space for 10.31

Then it still never upgraded from 10.2

I've spent an evening being an unpaid assistant for a company finding it difficult to make acceptable phones.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 09:03 PM
    I had to update about 20 apps before it would let me delete them to make space for 10.31

I've spent an evening being an unpaid assistant for a company finding it difficult to make acceptable phones.
    Can you clarify this? Are you saying that the OS install process wouldn't let you install /until/ you upgraded all the apps first? Or did you notice that there were 20 apps that needed upgraded and you upgraded, then noticed that there was an OS update, but since you didn't have enough memory, you needed to delete them first?

It seems like the case would be the latter because both app updates and OS installs can be deferred.

If you're short on memory, I've read that using Link requires less memory for an OS upgrade, however it will take longer, as it first downloads the update to your computer, then it transfers over to the phone. Depending on the size of the update (1 GB, for example), you might be looking at 2.5 hours. The slow part is the USB 2.0 connection between your computer and your phone.

For OTA updates, you need 2.5X the size of the update file. A 1 GB update will require 2.5 GB.
    03-17-15 09:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    That is simply not true that you had to update apps before you could delete them. I have no clue what you were doing. I had the same problem updating a Z3 and no app had to be updated first to be deleted.

Another idea you can use to make space is look at your cache's and delete them. For example in Soundcloud I freed up almost a gig by just deleting the image and stream cache. Also transfer everything like photos documents and music on the phone to a SD card. You can also do a full backup, then wipe the phone, do the upgrade and then restore.
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    03-18-15 01:35 AM
    I normally leave updates for wifi on good connections (which I don't have presently being in the middle of nowhere). So about 20 were due plus another since lastnight.

Wifi access where I am is slow, limp along & frequent connection losses.

Deletes are actually uninstalls as they are more recoverable.

No access to a computer just now but the phone was saying...

"Updating your BlackBerry� 10 OS to version 10.3.1 is easy"

I fell for it!

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 07:13 AM