Joined the BlackBerry World a couple months ago with the Z10. I have a second line that I have not been using and was thinking of picking up a q5 on Amazon to use as a work phone. Would be just for emails, text, phone calls etc. What are the thoughts on the Q5 for those that have them. Not sure if going to a Q10 is worth the extra $200. I'll be using it on att if it matters. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 03:50 PM
    Any BlackBerry 10 device is good in my books. Just my opinion though. And given what you said, I think the Q5 will do more than just fine
    09-27-13 03:55 PM
    I have also considered the 9790 as well, thinking the q5 may be more than needed.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 04:09 PM
    I'm also considering the q5 if and when the price drops a bit. Same reason as you for work. At the moment I'm still using my 9800 for work but switching between the two for calendar syncing is a bit of a ball ache albeit doable. Having a q5 with active sync would make my life much easier.

My z10 is very breakable to be taking on construction sites and a bit too new for my liking.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 06:30 PM
    Coming from z10 and now using a q5 as my work phone. I would say the physical keypad work much better with the purpose of owning a blackberry device. Also much better battery life if compare to a z10.

Just my 2 cent. I like the q5 more

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 03:33 AM
    I have a Q10 on a second line. I want the Q5 as the 'house phone'.

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10
    09-28-13 03:34 AM
    Its pretty nice smartphone. If you're prefering it as your Secondary device, then it is best.
    09-28-13 03:39 AM
    I'm using a Q10 ever since release back in May. However if my Q10 would be stolen or get broken today, I'd buy a Q5 tomorrow. Here is why:
    The Q5 limits are basicly not noticeable on daily use of BB10. The CPU is clocked 20% slower, yet you don't notice this downclock in actual use. They kept the 2 gigs of RAM, which is much more important. Of course the device memory is only half the size of the Q10s memory, having just 8 gigs. That means you are a bit more limited with app installation. However, unless you want to install a larger number of games, this shouldn't be a problem either. All other files can still go to that 32 or 64 gig SD card.

The Q5 has just a plastic housing, yet since more and more people are using cases anyways, I am not sure if that is much of a problem. Also the plastic is decent quality, not el-cheapo one like you'll find on some Samsung devices.
    The display might "just" be LCD, but I've never been a fan of BlackBerry's SuperAMOLED displays anyways. I loved, absolutely loved Nokias AMOLED screens, but that BBRY one is a different matter: Rather dim, no "true" blacks, poorer sunlight visibility. In this case, I'd even rather take that good LCD screen.
    Battery of course is not removeable, but it performs virtually as good as the Q10. Which means in most cases there is no need to carry a 2nd battery around.

Last but not least the keyboard: The keys on the Q5 are slightly smaller and, most noteworthy, definatly louder and more clicky. Howerver! During the many times I've tried the Q5 in a store, I could always type slightly faster and especially more accurate with the Q5. Even though I should be used to the Q10 by now and am not experienced with the keyboard of the little brother. The keyboard alone would be quite a reason to really consider the Q5.

In the end I'd say the Q5 is the most underrated device in recent BBRY history, not only BB10 history. The downsides compared to the expensive Q5 are marginal, depending on your usage they're even irrelevant. You even get some pros (different screen and keyboard) and you actually save quite some money too.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    09-28-13 05:00 AM
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I do believe this will be the one I pick up. Plan on using the z10 as my off work phone. Used my wife's iPhone a bit yesterday and found bit to be very cumbersome to use after getting used to all the gestures. BlackBerry makes a great phone for sure. Too bad they haven't caught on better than they did.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 09:47 AM
    Let me know how to get on when you get it.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 11:19 AM
    Koodo Mobile in Canada now has Q5 for $300 outright. My daughter paid about that with a coupon she got at school.

Personally I think the performance of the Q10 is really good. The case is a bit cheapish but it's nothing a good case can't solve.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 12:20 PM
    Koodo Mobile in Canada now has Q5 for $300 outright. My daughter paid about that with a coupon she got at school.

Personally I think the performance of the Q10 is really good. The case is a bit cheapish but it's nothing a good case can't solve.

Posted via CB10
    300 bucks seems like a pretty decent price. Around here, the Q5's price dropped from 400 to ~340 EUR rather quickly, however it's stuck between 330 and 340 EUR now since about six weeks.
    09-28-13 01:00 PM
    Hi new to Blackberry, wanted a keyboard phone the Q10 or Q5 ? tried both and found Q5 with space below screen easier to swipe than Q10, and price difference was 270/ $435, so went for Q5 and it meets my needs, call quality is very good and Wi-Fi connects quickly, as Q5 has 4G its a bonus it's arriving soon on my carrier,browser is fast the best I have used and battery life is outstanding lasts me over two days of medium use so having non removable battery is not a problem, the Hub is a brilliant idea everything in one place, I found the BB10 system easy to use as a first time user apart from keyboard but am learning fast, which colour? a red one as only that and pink available,is it good value for the price? as it was reduced by 40% from launch day it's a bargain, Blackberry BB10 is growing on me the more I use it, so might buy a Z10 or Z30 which one?, as for all the doom and gloom it did not prevent me from going with Blackberry, I look forward to learning from other members experiences.
    09-29-13 06:16 AM
    Joined the BlackBerry World a couple months ago with the Z10. I have a second line that I have not been using and was thinking of picking up a q5 on Amazon to use as a work phone. Would be just for emails, text, phone calls etc. What are the thoughts on the Q5 for those that have them. Not sure if going to a Q10 is worth the extra $200. I'll be using it on att if it matters. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Posted via CB10
    The BlackBerry Q5 will be more than adequate for your stated use case. The better screen and keyboard should enhance your experience.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    09-30-13 05:35 PM
    Lots of people to offer there opinions on it. I'll just say I am loving my Q5

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 11:17 PM
    Hello all
    I own a 9780 and I am very happy with it, lots of texting, lots of emails, FB, nothing fancy.
    I was just wondering how it would compare to the Q5 if I was thinking one day about changing it.
    Any thoughts about that?
    Thanx for your replies
    10-03-13 05:49 AM
    Personally I think this is the best midrange Qwerty keyboard phone with BB10. Battery is good, with a decent processor and good RAM, and LTE, and not to mention a great tactile keyboard to rival that of any keyboard since. It is a great choice to buy unlocked in my opinion, easily.
    10-03-13 12:05 PM