Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
11-07-13 07:49 PM
59 123
tools
    Well you read it right: specwise Q10 is better than the Q5 (hardware, camera, memory etc) so if you switch from a Q10 to a Q5 you downgrade. However in this case this is more like an upgrade for me. Why?

1. The screen: now the Q10 has an Amoled screen and the Q5 LCD. But in order to "conserve" battery power the Q10 screen is dimmed. With maximum brightness its not even as half bright as the Q5. So what is the point of having an Amoled display if I cant make it bright enough. Q5's screen is beautiful pristine and above all bright.

2.The looks: Many might say "oh Q5 is so plastic". But hey! Unless you are getting a 9981 all BBs are going to have plastic. Yes the Q10 has a bezel and metal frets but hey its still plastic. Q5 in red which I have is stylish and sexy and I love every bit of it. Much more attractive than Q10.

3.The battery: Yes Q5 doesnt have a removable battery BUT it has the strongest battery in any Blackberry device. It sure does much more than a Q10 or Z10 can on a single charge and that means a lot for me.

4. Weight: The lightness of the Q5 is a bliss compared to the Q10 brick

5. Price: With all of the above listed why pay so much more for less? Go for a Q5. You wont be disappointed.

P.S: for those who wonder which has the better keyboard obviously the Q10 but the Q5 keyboard has letters spaced from each other so its at least a more sure type experience. Furthermore the space between the screen and the keyboard is large enough to prevent weird gestures. Q10 had frustrated me a lot with that.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 07:51 PM
    Great post. I completely agree. The battery life on this Q5 is brilliant. 13 hours into a very busy travel day and still showing 57%. The red phone really does look terrific (using a gloss black skin right now). I get lots of compliments.

The fast BB10 instant search / command keyboard inputs make finding apps and launching texts and emails a snap.

Speaker phone is very good for impromptu conference calls.

I too did not like the Q10 OLED display for the same reasons.

The Q5 is a bargain considering the sheer productivity, speed and endurance.
    Switching from Q10 to Q5 and...-img_00000607.jpg

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 08:17 PM
    Waited patiently to pick up an unlocked Q5 for all of these reasons. A nice alternative to Z10 and Q10 with parts of both.

As my 1st BlackBerry phone, enjoying the easy navigation and added function without sacrificing on call quality or light pocket carry of a previous flip phone.
    09-19-13 01:51 AM
    Great thread! I might recommend a friend of mine the Q5 then

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 03:02 AM
    Great thread! I might recommend a friend of mine the Q5 then

Posted via CB10
    You definitely should its worth every penny.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 08:35 AM
    Well you read it right: specwise Q10 is better than the Q5 (hardware, camera, memory etc) so if you switch from a Q10 to a Q5 you downgrade. However in this case this is more like an upgrade for me. Why?

1. The screen: now the Q10 has an Amoled screen and the Q5 LCD. But in order to "conserve" battery power the Q10 screen is dimmed. With maximum brightness its not even as half bright as the Q5. So what is the point of having an Amoled display if I cant make it bright enough. Q5's screen is beautiful pristine and above all bright.

2.The looks: Many might say "oh Q5 is so plastic". But hey! Unless you are getting a 9981 all BBs are going to have plastic. Yes the Q10 has a bezel and metal frets but hey its still plastic. Q5 in red which I have is stylish and sexy and I love every bit of it. Much more attractive than Q10.

3.The battery: Yes Q5 doesnt have a removable battery BUT it has the strongest battery in any Blackberry device. It sure does much more than a Q10 or Z10 can on a single charge and that means a lot for me.

5. Price: With all of the above listed why pay so much more for less? Go for a Q5. You wont be disappointed.

P.S: for those who wonder which has the better keyboard obviously the Q10 but the Q5 keyboard has letters spaced from each other so its at least a more sure type experience. Furthermore the space between the screen and the keyboard is large enough to prevent weird gestures. Q10 had frustrated me a lot with that.

Posted via CB10
    2. Incorrect. The Q10's chassis is milled out of a solid piece of steel. No matter what you think now the Q10 has vastly superior chassis integrity and will wear a lot better than the Q5, come back in a year and lets compare then.

It's not that the Q5 is a bad phone but there are many reasons why the Q10 has a higher retail price.
    Amey88 and SK122387 like this.
    09-19-13 10:07 AM
    2. Incorrect. The Q10's chassis is milled out of a solid piece of steel. No matter what you think now the Q10 has vastly superior chassis integrity and will wear a lot better than the Q5, come back in a year and lets compare then.

It's not that the Q5 is a bad phone but there are many reasons why the Q10 has a higher retail price.

I never claimed Q5 is a better quality device but there is still a lot of plastic in a Q10

Posted via CB10
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    09-19-13 01:12 PM
    Can only say I went to buy a q5 and decided to pay the extra and got a q10. However since the price reductions applied to the q5. Q5 now looks to be the most obvious BlackBerry choice.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 04:51 AM
    Great to see more Q5 fans. I was starting to think I was one of few.

After having owned my Q5 for several weeks I went back to take a second look at the Q10 (since most ppl here on CB seem to own a Q10 or a Z10). But I have to say I preffer the Q5's keyboard. I don't feel a lot of difference in the clicks but the keys are better spaced out on the Q5 which makes for a big improvement for me.

And I also agree about the plasticy-feel. To me the Q10 doesn't feel all that more solid to me. I do like the higher weight though and the Q10 seems to fit my hands better.

But all-in-all I won't be "upgrading" to the "superior" Q10!
    09-20-13 05:15 AM
    Everyone who sees my Q5 say two things: 1. What a nice color (red). 2. Wow that screen is bright. Although the Q5 has a LCD screen is brighter than the Q10 screen. Folks at BlackBerry probably figured out conserving battery power by dimming the screen of the Q10. Bad,bad idea!

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 07:53 PM
    The first thing I noticed on the Q10 after I used the Q5 for a month is that the edges of the Q10 are not so sensitive as on the Q5, especially when it comes to click a button in the top right corner. I also minimized apps while scrolling. All that never happened on the Q5.

And although the screen resolution is the same on both devices, on the Q10 it seems as if you can see the pixels which can't be, but there is this AMOLED specific raster.

What I like the most on the Q5 is the SD Card and SIM card slot on the side. At last! Nevermore removing the battery or door to get to the SIM or the SD.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 09:34 PM
    Hey OP, your red Q5 in the black case looks so cool. I have a Q10 and Z10, and the Q10's brightness has never been an issue for me, but I am glad you are enjoying your Q5. No one offers them in the U.S., which is a shame.. they look like they're great for the money...and just great anyways.
    09-27-13 01:47 AM
    Hey OP, your red Q5 in the black case looks so cool. I have a Q10 and Z10, and the Q10's brightness has never been an issue for me, but I am glad you are enjoying your Q5. No one offers them in the U.S., which is a shame.. they look like they're great for the money...and just great anyways.
    Its not my photo but I do have a black case too. Yes its a shame this device is not offered in the US. I guess the UK is the place where all new BB10 devices are rolled out.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 07:30 AM
    Great to see more Q5 fans. I was starting to think I was one of few.

After having owned my Q5 for several weeks I went back to take a second look at the Q10 (since most ppl here on CB seem to own a Q10 or a Z10). But I have to say I preffer the Q5's keyboard. I don't feel a lot of difference in the clicks but the keys are better spaced out on the Q5 which makes for a big improvement for me.

And I also agree about the plasticy-feel. To me the Q10 doesn't feel all that more solid to me. I do like the higher weight though and the Q10 seems to fit my hands better.

But all-in-all I won't be "upgrading" to the "superior" Q10!
    Better for people with bigger fingers, perhaps.
    09-28-13 01:47 PM
    Better for people with bigger fingers, perhaps.
    You may be right as I had problems typing with the 9981 keyboard but as for Q10 I didnt have problems. Q5 just feels better.

Posted via CB10
    critanime likes this.
    09-28-13 03:58 PM
    Hi just joined this site as I have bought my first Blackberry phone the Q5 a red one, so one more owner, i went for Q5 because I like the keyboard and it's smaller than Q10, so far a brilliant phone
    Last edited by winston101; 09-29-13 at 02:44 PM.
    MadMarti likes this.
    09-29-13 02:26 PM
    You may be right as I had problems typing with the 9981 keyboard but as for Q10 I didnt have problems. Q5 just feels better.

Posted via CB10
    I have chunky thumbs and I find the spacing far better than the Q10. I have heard some crazy arguments against the keyboard on the 5. However I just don't see the issues.

Posted with a red Q5!
    09-30-13 03:27 AM
    Tbh it all depends on what you value. If you can get by with a clicky keyboard the Q5 is for you I mean it isn't meant to be high end and have a decent quality feel. But for a phone made out of plastic it doesn't feel too bad. At all in the past I've ignored curves because well they was cheap I've always been high end sort of person bolds and stuff. But I decided the Q5 as I couldn't wait to try bb10. And it was cheap so overal I'm happy with this phone but I'm now in the position to buy a Z10 and I wanna see how the virtual qwerty compares to the torch

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 03:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    For the same reasons I didn't buy Q10, all of above and specially the last point written in P.S

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 05:13 AM

Yaah that one point I found bit harsh or overstated, Q10 looks very very upmarket because of its built quality! I agree O buttons are more soft, durable, closely packed, which does not allow dust to see what's inside keypad and the best is its back cover <3. But Q5 owners are kinda more satisfied . At almost half the price it feels most of the features are complementary like pixel density, battery, processor, noise reduction in audio. It give you that smile which is worth every penny

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 06:04 AM
    I used a Vertu Constellation Touch, a Tag Heuer Link and both the silver and black 9981s. I am aware of the fact that the Q5 is plastic and may appear to be cheap for some. But if you want to get a quality phone with expensive materials you go for the luxury smartphones. Q10 is not a luxury smartphone, even its Special Edition version isnt luxury. It just has more steel pieces compared to a Q5. Many people prefer iPhones over Samsung devices because Samsung uses all plastic designs. But with keyboarded phones even with the Q10 you get a plastic keyboard. You only have the 9981 with a steel keyboard but who wants old technology anyways!

As for me the Q5 is a favorite because of one major factor: screen brightness! Q10 sucks on screen brightness its so dark you cant appreciate the AMOLED screen. Q5 is LCD but satisfies me much more than a Q10.

Posted via CB10
    junior2you likes this.
    09-30-13 09:57 PM
    Great post. I completely agree. The battery life on this Q5 is brilliant. 13 hours into a very busy travel day and still showing 57%. The red phone really does look terrific (using a gloss black skin right now). I get lots of compliments.

The fast BB10 instant search / command keyboard inputs make finding apps and launching texts and emails a snap.

Speaker phone is very good for impromptu conference calls.

I too did not like the Q10 OLED display for the same reasons.

The Q5 is a bargain considering the sheer productivity, speed and endurance.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000607.jpg 
Views:	2884 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	202902

Posted via CB10
    Hello. A Q10 owner here. I must say, if I had to buy the Q5, I'd get the red one in a snap. It's extremely gorgeous. Awesome picture, awesome device!
    09-30-13 10:12 PM
    09-30-13 10:33 PM
    If the Q5's red body is matte like the Lumia 520, I would get the Q5 in a heartbeat.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 06:28 AM
    If the Q5's red body is matte like the Lumia 520, I would get the Q5 in a heartbeat.

Posted via CB10
    It's glossy. But looks nice.
    Switching from Q10 to Q5 and...-img_00000473_edit.jpg

Posted with a red Q5!
    Efosa Omokaro and anon8091350 like this.
    10-05-13 03:37 AM
59 123