Sooo basically the title says it all. Anybody face this issue? I have no idea how to get out. I don't even know how it got in there in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 11:02 PM
    How old is your phone, was it there in the first place? Stuff like this shouldn't happen anymore with the modern screens. Dust between surface and display itself has been a problem in the early (smart)phone days, where there was quite a gap inbetween. I'd actually take it back to the store or your carrier and explain the problem. IMO there is something wrong with your phone. If that dust/dirt entered your screen after a while and wasn't there while unboxing it, there is a real threat more of this stuff might get into your screen.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    10-19-13 03:02 AM
    Yes, I've got the same issue. RMA'd it, they sent me a replacement after 3 weeks now. Is cheaper than to repair it, it seems.

The dust settled in after about a month of normal daily usage (carry it without a case in my trousers). I noticed it the first time when the sun shined into my display from the side.

I hope it is not a general problem. I will report back in a month.. then we will see how my new red Q5 replacement fared..

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 04:54 PM
    Just sent my Q5 in a couple of weeks ago, for a large, black chunk of dirt or dust under the flash lens. It is fixed and on it's way back. Not sure how it got there, but fixed for free nonetheless...

Posted via CB10
    dabbguy likes this.
    10-20-13 05:50 PM
    Get a can of compressed air and try to blast it out

Posted from my Z10
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    10-21-13 10:31 AM
    This should never happen.
    It's likely due to a quality control error. In an extreme case, it may be an overall design flaw.
    Return it for a new one.
    10-21-13 10:50 AM
    Same issue here... unbelievable that this can happen these times... and the Q5 is sealed, you cannot clean them!
    02-02-14 07:06 AM
    Yes, I've got the same issue. RMA'd it, they sent me a replacement after 3 weeks now. Is cheaper than to repair it, it seems.

The dust settled in after about a month of normal daily usage (carry it without a case in my trousers). I noticed it the first time when the sun shined into my display from the side.

I hope it is not a general problem. I will report back in a month.. then we will see how my new red Q5 replacement fared..

Posted via CB10
    Carrying your smartphone in our British trousers can cause all manner of problems, some medical and some usability. If you insist on stuffing your smartphone into your pants buy a holster or a case for your device. Practise safe smartphone use, carry your smartphone in a shirt pocket or jacket pocket. If you sit down on a BlackBerry 10 smartphone rumour has it the material wrapping the battery will pop-out and severe your genitals.

Disclaimer: Any sarcasm or unrecognised humour is the fault of the reader. BlackBerry Limited, CrackBerry.com, Mobile Nations LLC, and the writer accept no liability for an absence of a sense of humour on the part of the reader. Terms and conditions are described in excruciating legalese on the next 1024 pages of volatile memory. Please read quickly. Ignorance of these terms and conditions is not a defence in the Courts of Law of the British Empire, or its former colonies, on the Third Rock from the Sun in the Milky Way Galaxy despite the musical performance of "Major Tom" by Commander Chris Hadfield, Canada, while aboard the International Space Station (ISS) orbiting around the Earth until it falls from the sky at a undetermined future date for any specified or unspecified reason or cause not limited to mechanical failure, intergalactic collision, or poor driving skills of the crew. In case of emergency press the Red Button on the BlackBerry Q5.
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    02-03-14 06:53 PM

Posted via CB10

How is it with you new red device?
    02-04-14 12:21 AM
    It may be a refurbished device, hence the spec of dust under the screen.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 05:11 AM
    @qwertyforever: actually I have a special pocket at the side of the upper leg of my trousers. It's very convenient to put the smartphone there. Should be enough distance between my genitals and it.

To answer the last question: I got a brand new Q5 RMA'd. And everything seems to be good until now. Let's hope it stays that way.

Posted via CB10
    tx ram likes this.
    02-11-14 06:22 AM
    Never faced that issue.

- Red BlackBerry Q5
    02-13-14 10:40 AM
    I'm facing that issue too,
    got my q5 sent in for warranty repair, two weeks with my Dell venue pro, came back "problem solved under warranty" -
    nothing changed, looks exactly like before. Now they ask me to send it in one more time.
    BTW it is o2 germany, where i bought it.

Why can't BB have some authorised repaircenters like lenovo with servion (germany)?
    03-11-14 10:37 AM
    Are they blind at O2? What a waste of time..

I got a new replacement which starts to let the dust settle in slowly now after a few month.. It's not so much that I bother and mainly noticeable in direct sunlight. It was more severe on my first unit.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 10:09 AM
    Yes dust can somehow accumulate underneath the screen. We got our phone without any particle and now after few months of use there are few that are beneath the plastic protector.
    03-13-14 09:31 AM
    Hey guys. Got the same prob here! But I sent it to bb for warranty repair via O2. Got new screen and after a month -> same prob again

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Jonah Cerrotta; 03-17-14 at 04:20 AM.
    03-17-14 03:15 AM
    no need to speculate what the problem is- I noticed this within the first 5 mins of playing with my q5

If you open up the sim card/ micro sd flap/cover, with your screen on, you will see directly into the screen area. you'll clearly see the white backlit screen/light. The opening is actually quite big (in comparison to the size of dust)

there is no "seal" in there , especially around the sim port. There *should* have been a foam insulator or some sort of barrier in there.

I'm really surprised blackberry would not engineer something so simple into the design.
    03-17-14 09:40 AM
    I had a new phone for this issue after using it for 3 month's. My wife is using the new phone since a year now and no dust is seen under the screen.

BlackBerry Q10
    09-19-14 01:28 PM
    Will admit that I do have this issue, though not major. Dust seems to be coming through the USB port. Not enough to completely annoy me yet though.

Posted via CB10 on Blackberry Q5
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    09-19-14 04:47 PM
    I had a 9360 that had dust under the screen and it drove me batty till I got rid of it. Here are my suggestions to avoid having it happen.
    1: avoid keeping it in you front pant pocket if you must, place it in a sandwich type baggy to protect it from the lint that will get into keyboarded phones.
    2 never blow air to try and get it out you'll probably just get more in. Vacuuming around the phone with a soft hose is a better option, this should clear up loose dust that can eventually get under the screen.

Pocket lint and excessive movement that happens in your pant pockets are a bad combo best to avoid. Keep it in a front shirt pocket or holster.
    09-19-14 06:17 PM
    Will admit that I do have this issue, though not major. Dust seems to be coming through the USB port. Not enough to completely annoy me yet though.

Posted via CB10 on Blackberry Q5
    Yes, it seems that it starts in the top left corner and then gets deeper and deeper all under the protector. So it must be a leak behind the usb connector and not the sim and sd slot. I'm on my second Q5 now and it's the same like on the first one. If I find some time I will try to modify my vacuum cleaner and stick a drinking-straw on the hose. We will see how resistent the dust is..

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 04:57 PM