I'm on a no contract T-Mobile plan, and while I would like a BB10 device with a keyboard, I'm not going to be dropping $500+ on a Q10. I would snap up a Q5 if the price is right, but it looks like my future is still only Android and Windows Phone.
    The -1 variant of the BlackBerry Q5 smartphone should have LTE support for both T-Mobile USA and AT&T Wireless. This combined with a hot-swappable SIM card slot (first time feature for a BlackBerry smartphone) gives you the ultimate flexibility for a mid-range device.

However, you may need to purchase from a different vendor than T-Mobile.
    05-24-13 06:42 PM
    I'm sorry you want the Q5. I wish I could tell you how to get a compatible Canadian one for your carrier here but I don't think Canada will be getting it either, so buying one regardless of which version you get will lead to a very disappointing experience due to frequency band incompatibilities.

As for the poster above recommending one that shares one commonality to a US/Canada band, again, not recommended. You will get **** poor coverage.

~STV
    05-24-13 07:26 PM
    This year I think it is all about capacity to manufacture. BB can maximize margins of all their phones if they direct the Q5 to markets that are less receptive to the Q10 because of price. In the USA and Canada, a Q5 sold probably means one less Q10 sold. As they ramp up Q5 production, I expect BB to sell the Q5 in all markets.
    05-24-13 09:50 PM
    They don't want to release Q5 in US because it will just be insulted by Droid spec elitists. They already laugh at the 10s.

Delusional. No reason for four cores in a bloody phone....not even with the hoggish OS Android has become with manufacturer crap.

~STV
    05-24-13 10:00 PM
    With the rise in prepaid offerings in the US I think they would be foolish not to offer it... this will bring more brand recognition with the new os... it's time all the 7.1 devices offered on prepaid get retired

Posted via CB10
    mzceetee likes this.
    05-25-13 02:07 AM
    With the rise in prepaid offerings in the US I think they would be foolish not to offer it... this will bring more brand recognition with the new os... it's time all the 7.1 devices offered on prepaid get retired
    If the big carriers are not interested in the device then it probably isn't worth bringing it to the states for the smaller ones since that would potentially be an entirely new variant just for them, particularly with Canadian carriers seemingly happy with just the two models for now.
    05-25-13 02:36 AM
    I'd like to consider a Q5, looks like a solid device. Looking forward to seeing the pricing elsewhere. I use wifi so much that I'm willing to sacrifice carrier coverage if I have a good wi-fi hopping app. Of course someone is working on that at Blackberry, or Blackberry world right?
    05-25-13 08:25 PM
    I think I know what' BB's plan is here...

Look at how many curves sold in North America. Now look at how many of those people compared those low-end cheap phones to iPhones and S3's and moaned that all Blackberry made was terrible phones. None of these people ever tried a high-end BB product because they assumed they were all crap, which is a bit like saying since a 1972 BMW that you bought for $400 by the side of the road is terrible, all BMW's must be terrible, without ever trying it. By keeping BB an upmarket product in North America, BBis hoping that they'll be able to appear as a high end product. I'm sure there are lots of people who buy cheap Android phones too and then decide that "android sucks" because their $50 phone is a clunker.

In the emerging markets though, there isn't enough of a demand for high end products, so a low end phone for those markets makes more sense than a Q10 would.
    This. I have always thought of BB as a high end brand, and in North America its all about status. Releasing these mid-range devices could hurt that image. It has worked for Android, but Apple doesn't do things like that. They will keep selling their older models and they become the low end models. Maybe thats what BB can do, sell the Bold and Torch at a reduced price, or when the Z20 comes out, keep the Z10 on the market, and supported, but at half the price. It could work for them too, it just takes time.
    05-28-13 10:58 PM
    It will be available, but, most likely on straight talk, boost mobile, virgin mobile, tracfone, cricket, as well as the prepaid accounts on VZW, T-Mobile, and AT&T. Prepaid is a pretty big deal and this phone will do great!

Posted via CB10
    Hope the Q5 will come to Boost mobile for my teenage daughter can experience Blackberry 10,she has 9310 curve time for a upgrade lol. Great ideal to bring Q5s to prepaid market-get Blackberry 10 everywhere is a plus...
    russworman likes this.
    05-31-13 12:39 PM
    Hope the Q5 will come to Boost mobile for my teenage daughter can experience Blackberry 10,she has 9310 curve time for a upgrade lol. Great ideal to bring Q5s to prepaid market-get Blackberry 10 everywhere is a plus...
    This would help me convert other family members

Posted via CB10
    mzceetee likes this.
    05-31-13 01:30 PM
    This would help me convert other family members

Posted via CB10
    Exactly same thoughts

Posted from my lovely BlackBerry Z10
    05-31-13 01:37 PM
    I would not expect to see them get the q5, the cdma market is simply not worth the effort of producing an entirely separate device unless it is one that Verizon is taking these days.
    06-02-13 03:56 AM
    I would not expect to see them get the q5, the cdma market is simply not worth the effort of producing an entirely separate device unless it is one that Verizon is taking these days.
    Considering Sprint also owns boost and virgin mobile, they'd actually be a pretty good group to offer one on, to get the most bang for your CDMA buck. They usually grab retired older phones though. The Z10 might end up on them eventually.
    mzceetee likes this.
    06-05-13 01:53 PM
    The Q5 is the perfect phone to replaces those crap Curve Pay as you go phones! Maybe carriers and blackberry will come to the senses.
    mzceetee likes this.
    06-05-13 05:27 PM
    The Q5 is the perfect phone to replaces those crap Curve Pay as you go phones! Maybe carriers and blackberry will come to the senses.
    That I can agree on, time replacement with the Q5 on the prepaid market an and move the old curves off.

06-05-13 05:50 PM
    I just held and played with the Q5. I am very impressed. It is a nice look and feel and will do very well. It will find its way into North America, just maybe not at first. Also remember Blackberry has other product launching late summer / early spring at a lower price point, soooooo hang tight, there are going to be options.
    06-06-13 09:21 AM
    That I can agree on, time replacement with the Q5 on the prepaid market an and move the old curves off.

You know, you don't have to wait eons for Blackberry to bring it to Boost Mobile (doubt they ever will). Just buy an unlocked GSM Q5 from eBay (whenever it's released) and slap in a sim card from Pure Talk USA (they're an AT&T mvno). Their best plan is $43 for unlimited talk/text +1gb data. I think that should suffice the needs of your daughter.
    06-06-13 08:32 PM
42 12