I Have Blackberry Q5 But Stuck On 98% Security Wipe And Erasing Memory! Help Me Please
    01-27-18 10:11 AM
    I Have Blackberry Q5 But Stuck On 98% Security Wipe And Erasing Memory! Help Me Please
    If you had a SD card in phone did you remove it?
    01-27-18 10:16 AM
    No I Didn't Have Sd Card
    01-27-18 10:24 AM
    If you had a SD card in phone did you remove it?
    No I Didn't Have Sd Card In My Mobile
    01-27-18 10:25 AM
    No I Didn't Have Sd Card In My Mobile
    Ok try a hard restart and see what it does, my Passport once in a while would hang as well
    01-27-18 10:28 AM
    Ok try a hard restart and see what it does, my Passport once in a while would hang as well
    How Can I Make Hard Restart Please ?
    01-27-18 10:33 AM
    How Can I Make Hard Restart Please ?
    Press and hold both volume buttons for 20 sec then release
    01-27-18 10:37 AM
    Press and hold both volume buttons for 20 sec then release
    Didn't Work !
    Heeelp
    01-27-18 10:39 AM
    Didn't Work !
    Heeelp
    Be patient, or use an autoloader.

Some people have waited several days for it to finish.
    01-27-18 11:40 AM
    The Security Wipe is well known to be the crappiest program that BB has ever produced. If you do a search here on CB you will find dozens of threads about waiting for hours or days for this thing to finish. I personally, will NEVER use it. You may have to use an autoloader to re-install your OS. Either that or wait until it finishes.
    01-27-18 11:44 AM
    The Security Wipe is well known to be the crappiest program that BB has ever produced. If you do a search here on CB you will find dozens of threads about waiting for hours or days for this thing to finish. I personally, will NEVER use it. You may have to use an autoloader to re-install your OS. Either that or wait until it finishes.
    I know there have been complaints, but I've always wondered if the frustration is based on having the wrong expectations.

Does anyone know how thorough the security wipe is? What does it actually do? It may be that it's more thorough and effective than what people are expecting.

Or it could just be inefficient.

Or it could be both.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    brookie229 likes this.
    01-27-18 01:11 PM
    I know there have been complaints, but I've always wondered if the frustration is based on having the wrong expectations.

Does anyone know how thorough the security wipe is? What does it actually do? It may be that it's more thorough and effective than what people are expecting.

Or it could just be inefficient.

Or it could be both.

It just writes random 1s and 0s to unallocated space.

Unfortunately, it often gets stuck into some iterative loop.
    01-27-18 01:33 PM
    It just writes random 1s and 0s to unallocated space.

Thanks. It always seemed odd to me that such a simple process could get stuck in a loop, unless it is making multiple passes checking for some expected "secure" state that doesn't occur.

I don't get why something so essential wouldn't have been properly tested prior to initial release, or fixed by 10.1.

01-27-18 01:38 PM
    If it never stops, it's probably iterative. If it's totally unpredictable but sometimes resolves on its own after a long run time, it could be a poorly designed recursive loop. Recursion can become exponentially inefficient pretty quickly if designed with the wrong assumptions.

01-27-18 02:09 PM
    If it never stops, it's probably iterative. If it's totally unpredictable but sometimes resolves on its own after a long run time, it could be a poorly designed recursive loop. Recursion can become exponentially inefficient pretty quickly if designed with the wrong assumptions.

Agreed.
    01-27-18 02:25 PM
    Be patient, or use an autoloader.

Some people have waited several days for it to finish.
    Realy. When I Wake Up Today I See It And Changed To 99% 😂
    01-28-18 04:25 AM
    That is progress 1% to go.

Clicked via my Q5SQR100-1/10.3.2.2639

Posted via CB10
    01-28-18 11:21 PM
    I dont think its fair to say that, the mess that is made from android updates, folders, files and personal data can be too much. Uninstalling, deleting and signing out before a security wipe can save it from some long trips.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-18 02:24 PM
    Uninstalling, deleting and signing out before a security wipe can save it from some long trips.

Sure, but by the time it takes you to do all that, I could use an autoloader (15 minutes), reinstall my apps and have my info back up and running. If I forget one thing in your procedure, I'm waiting for 18 hours for the thing to finish. That's your choice but I won't go through that chance if I ever have to re-load. I guess it all depends on how much stuff you want/need to keep also but most people have a habit of keeping to much crap imho.
    06-17-18 04:31 PM
    Sure, but by the time it takes you to do all that, I could use an autoloader (15 minutes), reinstall my apps and have my info back up and running. If I forget one thing in your procedure, I'm waiting for 18 hours for the thing to finish. That's your choice but I won't go through that chance if I ever have to re-load. I guess it all depends on how much stuff you want/need to keep also but most people have a habit of keeping to much crap imho.
    Hey if you don't have a resource or a PC. A half hour sweeping up might save 6. I would choose the autoloader though.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-18 07:33 PM