I am having Z10, and you know what, I bought it after almost 6 months of research of Z10, Q10 and Q5. I should say the flicking is awesome and I'm using it to write blog and such stuff.
    I'm also having Bold 9700 for the past 4 years which I am comfortable with. So about build quality, I should say BlackBerry has the best.

But after a year or Z, I am vying actually Classic as I don't use my Z for video much.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 09:31 AM
    I was going through the Z3 & Q5 forums on Crackberry as well as Blackberry official forums and people are having a lot of random problems with Q5:
    • Battery life (draining due to BBM)
    • Camera not working
    • Device not turning on
    • Keyboard stops working
    • Touchscreen not working (partially or completely)

A lot of these problems are reported immediately after upgrading to 10.2.1

I don't see people complaining about these issues on Z3. Is it because Z3 is a newer device and people haven't yet discovered these issues OR is it because Z3 comes with 10.2.1 and these issues are primarily caused by botched upgrades?
    08-18-14 10:51 AM
    Is it possible to get a Q5 with 10.2.1 factory-installed?
    08-18-14 10:53 AM
    I did buy my Q5 from someone else and it did not had the 10.2.1 update. After I updated it myself (OTA) the phone still works normally. I have no problems at all. With every type of phone you can see that there are always some phones that have issues, I think those people just have bad luck.
    lift likes this.
    08-18-14 11:01 AM
    On a funny note, people will instantly recognize Q5 as BB and mock you. On the other hand, with Z3, they will think that you bought a cheap Chinese device and instead advice you to get a Xiaomi. Either way you are in trouble.
    08-18-14 11:39 AM
    On a funny note, people will instantly recognize Q5 as BB and mock you. On the other hand, with Z3, they will think that you bought a cheap Chinese device and instead advice you to get a Xiaomi. Either way you are in trouble.
    Yeah because you should buy a phone depending on what other people think of it and not what you like for yourself ;-) :-p
    anon(5597702), MTL, lift and 1 others like this.
    08-18-14 11:53 AM
    I own a q5 and a z10. The q5 is definitely a no go if you browse a lot. Passport sounds perfect for your needs but it's very unlikely it will be in the same price range as low end devices like the q5/z3

By the way those two android devices you have used are really really crappy devices. I wouldn't judge android by your experience with those devices.

For the price of the q5 you can get a xiaomi Redmi note, which has a great keyboard (SwiftKey, which is licenced by blackberry to power the bb10 kb), is super smooth, and large screen. Downside it's a little heavy but it's dual sim.
    08-18-14 12:56 PM
    You are reading about people complaining on Q5 more than on Z3 simply because -compared to the Q5's owners- there are quite a few on CB with a Z3.. The Z10 is probably the most widespread BB10 device (between CB users). Go and check 'how many' seems to have trouble with their Z10s ;-) Let's say 2% of the Z10 production has got 'problems'/issues and let's say they sold 3 millions Z10 up to date. That means 60000 'broken units'.
    Keeping the same percentage for the Z3. If they sold ~ 300000 Z3 we'll have 6000 'broken units'. Consider also that the vast majority of people who bought the Z3 are from countries where CB is not so widespread. And voil�: a lot of people complaining on the Z10 and a little on the Z3.
    Anyway, choose whatever device you think will suit better your needs of course Check on youtube for reviews and hands on so that you can see on video how the browsing experience is, as the typing etc..
    anon5817504 likes this.
    08-18-14 01:29 PM
    To all those who have a Q5, is the screen size adequate for the core stuff, i.e. phone, call log, texting, emailing, WhatsApp, and reading text articles on the web?

I saw a couple of Q5 videos and wasn't a big fan of the big action bar that comes at the bottom of every screen (with the back button and a couple of menu items). It looks like it gets in your way and reduces the available screen size even further.
    All of the BlackBerry devices have what you call the "action bar" when you scroll down through the page it slides away from view unless you start scrolling up again. As for videos, tap the screen and it will go away, or just wait and it'll disappear from view

Posted via Q10RR
    lift likes this.
    08-18-14 03:58 PM
    I have Z10, Z30 and Z3. I have also used qwerty phone BlackBerry 9700. My suggestion would be to go for an Z3 because :
    1) bigger screen
    2) battery easily last for 1.5 days
    3) Swipe Typing
    4) good built quality

With 10.3 update it will be even better than now.

Cons:
    1) Z3 camera is not good for night mode

BlackBerry Z30 Rocks
    lift and bungaboy like this.
    08-19-14 05:32 AM

I've been researching on the Q5 and the Z3 for the past 3 weeks, but haven't been able to make-up my mind yet. What's basically bothering me are the following questions:

• Is the Q5 screen too small for comfortable reading / replying of emails? Too small for reading web pages?
    • Is the Q5 build quality going to last at least 2-3 years? I don't believe in changing phones every other year and I'd like to stick with a phone till it completely dies (my Samsung Galaxy Pop has literally fallen apart!)
    • Is the Z3 too big to fit in my jeans pocket? Too big for single hand usage?
    • Is the typing experience on Z3 going to be good?

Can some avid BB-users throw-in their opinions as well? Here's what I want from the phone:

• I'm an avid user of email, texting & WhatsApp (I compose fairly long emails on the phone), therefore the typing experience needs to be top-notch.
    • I browse & read a lot on the web, therefore the browsing experience and the screen real-estate needs to be adequate
    • Good battery life -- I've heard a lot of complaints (on this forum) about problems with the Q5 battery
    • I don't care two hoots about random apps, but the core stuff should work flawlessly, and not lag or crash, i.e. web browsing (either native browser or Opera), emails, calendaring (and calendar syncing), texting, calling, contact lists (and contact syncing), maps, alarm clock, and WhatsApp.
    I've had my Q5 for about 6 months now I changed over from a Android device and have no regrets.

I can't comment on apps or games because I only use the Twitter app and don't play any games on it. My primary usage is email, web browsing and texting/calls. For these things the Q5 is excellent.

Web browsing is important to me because I design websites and like to test the responsiveness of them on my Q5. I haven't had any issues with the native browser it works great. Obviously a device with a physical keyboard is going to have a smaller screen for browsing but that's to be expected.

Portability is important and the Q5 fits in my pockets. It's just personal preference but I don't like larger devices with some of them it feels like you're holding a plate up against your head and they don't fit well into pockets.

I've had no problem with the battery life and the Q5 is sturdy enough (I've dropped it a couple of times - thankfully no damage done).
    lift and bungaboy like this.
    08-19-14 02:49 PM
    Stick to the topic, please. And remember, the OP did ask as a first-time BB user, and this is a BB forum ...

Q5 or Z3: What to buy as a first time BB user?-stay_on_topic.png
    anon(5597702) and lift like this.
    08-20-14 04:47 PM
    Just ordered the Z3. Fingers crossed. First BB of my life :-)
    anon5817504, lift and KingOfQwerty like this.
    08-21-14 06:10 AM
    Good choice. The screen on the q5 is just too limited if you do a lot of browsing. You'll find the virtual keyboard good as well.
    08-21-14 06:46 AM
    Let us know if you'll like it
    08-21-14 07:40 AM
    My Q5 sucks for battery life. If I use the phone I won't get a day out of it...if. it's on standby I will get a day and a half

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 07:56 AM
    Nice! Hope you enjoy it! :-)

Posted via CB10 app on BB Q5
    08-21-14 10:03 AM
    My Q5 sucks for battery life. If I use the phone I won't get a day out of it...if. it's on standby I will get a day and a half

Posted via CB10
    That definitely dosent sound right. I get 6-8 hours continuous usage on max brightness surfing on H+
    08-21-14 03:47 PM
    I have the brightness on the lowest setting, email interval set at every couple hours, wifi, bluetooth and location services off.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 05:17 PM
    I get 8 - 10 hours out of my q5. WiFi on, some whatsapp messages, browsing through the cb10 app, occasionally playing a game. Reading some news and check facebook posts.

Posted via CB10 app on Q5
    08-21-14 05:20 PM
    Hmmmm...maybe I got a dud??

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 05:51 PM
    Hmmmm...maybe I got a dud??

Posted via CB10
    Sometimes that happens with mass produced products. Just bad luck I guess. You can always try to wipe your device and reinstall everything (after making a backup ofcourse ). I read somewhere that that helps sometimes.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q5
    08-21-14 06:13 PM
    Thanks! Will do!

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 06:15 PM
    Thanks! Will do!

Posted via CB10
    Let us know! ;-)

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q5
    08-21-14 06:17 PM
    The thing with handsets with physical keyboard is that screen size takes a hit. I use a Q10 and I've accepted that having the superior experience of a PB means living with a small screen, which I don't mind since I really got the Q10 for a secondary sim for all my messaging needs. It's battery lasts me up to two days on moderate to heavy use. I still have my primary Note 3 for browsing and videos. I dread typing on the Note 3. I use it as a hotspot for the Q10 when doing email and social chat. That's because my primary sim is the one on unlimited LTE plan on the Note 3.

If you're thinking of the Q5, definitely take a look at the Q10 because it's price is less than half what it used to be brand new. The replaceable and long lasting battery life are worth the extra price above the Q5.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 03:51 AM
63 123