Hi,

I've spent the last 3 years on an Android 2.2 (Samsung Galaxy Pop with a 3" screen). These days I've got a loaner Micromax Canvas A105 with a giant 5" screen. And I absolutely hate Android. I hate the fact that stuff stops working randomly. I hate the fact that the phone starts lagging with just 2-3 apps running (with Whatsapp being one of them). I'm not a big fan of how emailing & calendaring work in Android. I don't like Chrome or the stock Android browser (but Opera Mini has always been my workhorse). And I also hate the fact that no Android phone is available with a QWERTY keypad.

What initially attracted me to BB was that it was the only smartphone on the market with a QWERTY keypad. However, in the BB shop I played around with the Z3, and didn't mind the on-screen keyboard on it (with well spaced out keys and the flick-to-complete gesture).

I've been researching on the Q5 and the Z3 for the past 3 weeks, but haven't been able to make-up my mind yet. What's basically bothering me are the following questions:

• Is the Q5 screen too small for comfortable reading / replying of emails? Too small for reading web pages?
    • Is the Q5 build quality going to last at least 2-3 years? I don't believe in changing phones every other year and I'd like to stick with a phone till it completely dies (my Samsung Galaxy Pop has literally fallen apart!)
    • Is the Z3 too big to fit in my jeans pocket? Too big for single hand usage?
    • Is the typing experience on Z3 going to be good?

Can some avid BB-users throw-in their opinions as well? Here's what I want from the phone:

• I'm an avid user of email, texting & WhatsApp (I compose fairly long emails on the phone), therefore the typing experience needs to be top-notch.
    • I browse & read a lot on the web, therefore the browsing experience and the screen real-estate needs to be adequate
    • Good battery life -- I've heard a lot of complaints (on this forum) about problems with the Q5 battery
    • I don't care two hoots about random apps, but the core stuff should work flawlessly, and not lag or crash, i.e. web browsing (either native browser or Opera), emails, calendaring (and calendar syncing), texting, calling, contact lists (and contact syncing), maps, alarm clock, and WhatsApp.
    08-15-14 03:14 PM
    Good battery life -- I've heard a lot of complaints (on this forum) about problems with the Q5 battery
    I have a Q5 and battery life is excellent.
    08-15-14 03:21 PM
    Is the Z3 too big to fit in my jeans pocket?
    I have the Z30 and the Z3 is just a tiny bit bigger. The Z30 fits in my front jeans pocket, but not comfortably. I love my Z30 but to me it's just a little too big. You will have to try and balance your needs and wants to figure out the best phone for you. I have a Z10 and Q10 also. The Z10 is a great size but the battery life is poor. The Q10 is also a great size and has great battery life. But I'm more of an all touch guy. The physical keys are not bad though. So for me, I use each phone for specific uses.
    I hear the Z3 has a pretty big battery so that would be great for long battery life, but the Q5 battery I hear is good too.
    I'm not sure where you live, but the Q5 is LTE capable, the Z3 right now is not. You may want to consider that also.
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    08-15-14 03:32 PM
    I'm not sure where you live, but the Q5 is LTE capable, the Z3 right now is not. You may want to consider that also.
    Based out of India. Most places here don't have proper 3G connectivity, so 4G as a decision factor is out of question :-)
    08-15-14 03:36 PM
    My q5 has a great battery life and they keyboard is really useful for writing emails and message a lot. The q5 fits perfectly in every pockets ( jeans, shorts, suits pockets, etc) and the device is pretty solid. I would recommend you that device.

Posted via CB10
    lift and alan510 like this.
    08-15-14 04:55 PM
    Based out of India. Most places here don't have proper 3G connectivity, so 4G as a decision factor is out of question :-)
    Thanks. That does make a difference. Well, if you really like a physical keyboard and a small screen is OK, the Q5 is great. If you need a larger screen and you like flicking words with the on screen keyboard, then Z3 is the way to go. I know, it's a tough decision. If you get either one and don't like it that much, can you exchange it for the other?
    08-15-14 05:38 PM
    I don't understand this "entry level" device mumbo jumbo. It's all the same. I would go with the Q10. I started on the 8330 curve, but that was because 8830 world edition didn't have a camera. Buy whatever you feel most comfortable with. To me it's Q10, I have gone back and forth with full touch devices. I always come back to the full qwerty devices that blackberry offers.

Posted via Q10RR
    08-15-14 07:41 PM
    Go with the Q5 if you're a physical keyboard type of user but only if you care about saving the money you spend on the Q10. Z3 if you don't want to spend too much on a Z30.

Posted via Q10RR
    08-15-14 07:45 PM
    It depends what you prefer. If you like the physical keyboard then the Q5 is your obvious choice. However, if you like a big screen and virtual keyboard then the Z3 is your device. Now, both of these are low-end devices. If you have the available funds then I suggest getting the Z30. It's amazing and offers a lot more than either of the options you're considering.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30
    08-15-14 08:25 PM
    If the Z3 is too big for you get a Z10.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    08-15-14 08:29 PM
    If the Z3 is too big for you get a Z10.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    OP mentioned good battery life so I wouldn't recommend the Z10.
    lift likes this.
    08-15-14 09:50 PM
    You can purchase a used Z30 for around 18 in India. I got one last month. Best option. In warranty and all. I think you would enjoy the z3 better than the Q5. But if qwerty is priority. Try a mint condition q10. Worth it and keyboard is way way better than q5

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 10:24 PM
    Absolutely depends on your preference. If a bigger screen is your preference than Q5 won't suffice you. The Z3 will fit in your pocket. No worries about that. But just keep in mind: the Q5 has more RAM than the Z3, cheaper than the Z3 and has a better screen resolution. But apps can be a problem on the Q5 if you depend very heavily on apps. Q5 battery life is good. No worries about that
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    08-15-14 10:36 PM
    Physical keyboard or non? That is the question! Q10 will last 2-3 yrs quality wise. Dont think the lower end models will make it though but have been surprised by older BlackBerry's. My 9780, 9900 and 8330 are still alive but the 8330 is beat up but ticking.

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    08-15-14 10:43 PM
    Physical keyboard or non? That is the question! Q10 will last 2-3 yrs quality wise. Dont think the lower end models will make it though but have been surprised by older BlackBerry's. My 9780, 9900 and 8330 are still alive but the 8330 is beat up but ticking.

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    You must have a knockoff 8330. Those things are unbreakable. They will always work. Forever!

Posted via Q10RR
    08-16-14 11:35 AM
    My needs r exactly like u. I've been using q5 for past 6months. It never lagged and never showed any problem. I think q5 lasts longer than z3 in terms of battery. I never felt sad about the smaller screen size. Only thing I felt bad is about drop in price
    I think q5 is better option for u. Right now u can get q5 for 13k

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 12:01 PM
    My needs r exactly like u. I've been using q5 for past 6months. It never lagged and never showed any problem. I think q5 lasts longer than z3 in terms of battery. I never felt sad about the smaller screen size. Only thing I felt bad is about drop in price
    I think q5 is better option for u. Right now u can get q5 for 13k

Posted via CB10
    You think?

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-16-14 12:24 PM
    Hi, I've used a Z10 since Feb 2013, I changed to a Q5 a week ago because it was the cheapest BlackBerry to buy outright at $150 due to the fact I drove over my Z10 and even BlackBerry's can't handle that. Before the Z10 I used a Torch 9800 for 2 years, so I know my BlackBerry, also I keep up with the latest and greatest on anything to do with BlackBerry. Anyway, you want a awesome quality workhorse? I'd get the Q10 or Z10, they're awesome, not too big and very efficient. Get the Q10 if you want better battery life. They're well build and last you a long time. Although if size isn't too big of a deal... I'd wait for the passport. though not sure how long it will be before it gets to India. Right now I'm just waiting for the passport, cant wait. Like I said I'm using a Q5 right now, it isn't a bad phone at all but I rather have the Z10 or Q10. Anyway, Good luck. Whatever you'll get, you will love because it a BlackBerry AKA awesomeness!

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 11:16 PM
    Get a Q5 instead of a Z3; You'll have:

- a more powerful phone
    - a phone that fits everywhere
    - an HD screen
    - a Keyboard
    - more RAM and sensors

Get a Z3 instead of a Q5; You'll have:

- a BIG screen
    - more apps (from BBWorld)
    - more apps (android ones) will work (even if also on Q devices they resize quite well)

Both have a great battery life and despite the Z3 is (a bit) less powerful the OS is excellent and the experience is smooth on both.
    08-17-14 03:52 PM
    I would go for the Z3. I have a Q5 and love it but if I had the choice of a Z3 and mine, the Z3 would give me better browsing experience which I use alot.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 06:45 PM
    I have Q5 and love it. Great for typing emails and stuff. Little less for browsing and playing games (although some games are just fine)

BB Q5 black
    08-17-14 06:58 PM
    To all those who have a Q5, is the screen size adequate for the core stuff, i.e. phone, call log, texting, emailing, WhatsApp, and reading text articles on the web?

I saw a couple of Q5 videos and wasn't a big fan of the big action bar that comes at the bottom of every screen (with the back button and a couple of menu items). It looks like it gets in your way and reduces the available screen size even further.
    08-17-14 10:56 PM
    I'm an avid user of email, texting & WhatsApp (I compose fairly long emails on the phone), therefore the typing experience needs to be top-notch.
    I browse & read a lot on the web, therefore the browsing experience and the screen real-estate needs to be adequate
    Good battery life -- I've heard a lot of complaints (on this forum) about problems with the Q5 battery
    I don't care two hoots about random apps, but the core stuff should work flawlessly, and not lag or crash, i.e. web browsing (either native browser or Opera), emails, calendaring (and calendar syncing), texting, calling, contact lists (and contact syncing), maps, alarm clock, and WhatsApp.
    Wow, you have the perfect requirement for Passport.

That apart, your points 3 & 4 are more or less same for Q5 and Z3. A little here or there.

But points 1 & 2 are exactly opposite. And so your worries and your past experience.

According to your own words, absolutely you will love BB10 over Android, but whether you will love BB10 device is a question though.

You have a mix of requirement

Fast typing of mails and IM - Q5 (Z3 if you become comfortable with flicking)
    Best browsing experience - Z3
    Familiarity with Canvas - Z3
    Best app experience (even with your surprisingly minimal app requirement) - Z3
    Device life - Z3 (since it is a year younger than Q5)

But Q5 has lot of surprises, if you dig through its specification.

So better luck. Definitely it will be a tough decision and bitter one as your requirements are best of both world.

(On a personal note, I will wait for Passport especially due to migration from Micromax Canvas)
    08-18-14 01:20 AM
    (On a personal note, I will wait for Passport especially due to migration from Micromax Canvas)
    When is Passport is released in India? Also, are they going to come up with crazy initial pricing like they did with Q5?

Which device do you own right now?

But points 1 & 2 are exactly opposite. And so your worries and your past experience.
    True -- I have two conflicting requirements which are causing this entire confusion. I text/email a lot, which is best on a physical QWERTY phone. And I surf the net a lot (which is best on a large screen device). I wonder why BB doesn't come up with a large screen device with a slide-out physical keyboard!
    MTL likes this.
    08-18-14 01:43 AM
    When is Passport is released in India? Also, are they going to come up with crazy initial pricing like they did with Q5?

Which device do you own right now?

True -- I have two conflicting requirements which are causing this entire confusion. I text/email a lot, which is best on a physical QWERTY phone. And I surf the net a lot (which is best on a large screen device). I wonder why BB doesn't come up with a large screen device with a slide-out physical keyboard!
    I surf the net without any issues on my Q ;-) Consider that even if you pick up a Z3 the width of the device is the same: almost all the sites on the internet have got a mobile site that adapts on screen. I think you will see no difference, unless you rotate the Z3 ;-) But: is that convenient?
    08-18-14 03:18 AM
63 123