Hello all!

I�ve got my black Q5 from ebay last Friday.

It�s unlocked and although I bought it used, the phone is in mint condition. I pay around 165� for the phone which I think was a good deal, even though I primarily wanted a Z10 but for testing the OS a Q5 also fits the purpose.

I�ve never had a Blackberry before and my last phone was a Nokia C3-00 so the difference between both is tremendous.

The OS is running smoothly and so far I am happy with my purchase and that I�ve given Blackberry a chance over iOS and Android (I have an iPod Touch and I�ve had a couple Android phones...never had a WP experience though).

After this trial and if I continue to enjoy the BlackBerry OS, in April I might have the opportunity to buy a Z10 (brand new). I really like the physical keyboard of the Q5 but Z10 has a much better design than the Q5 retro-style and I�ve read wonders about the touch keyboard of the Z10. Also the Z10 camera has better specs than the Q5 however the battery life seems to be better on the Q5.

I am not really into playing games on the phone, so I�d say that 90% of my phone usage would be for texting, calling and some web browsing.

Has anyone here has switched from a Z10 to a Q5 or the other way around? Can you share you experiences?

Thanks!
    02-17-14 09:32 AM
    Which version of Z10 is available at your country? as long as its not the STL100-1 i think Z10 is better in my opinion. the Q5 however had built in radio which can be useful if you listen to any radios. You will love Z10 keyboard thats why i switched to the Z10, its because of the keyboard. On Q5/Q10, you won't get the same experience. And for me the BB10 OS is built for full touch no for physical keyboard... i will surely get the Z10
    02-17-14 10:01 AM
    I have a Z10 and have used a Q5 a few times. I think the Z10 is a superior device and unless you need a physical keyboard the Z10 is the phone you should purchase. Then again having one of each could be a lot of fun

Posted via CB10
    pentagon565 likes this.
    02-17-14 10:32 AM
    @rickz97
    I’m not sure about the version for sale here however I’ll check that out if I decide to go with the Z10, thanks for the info.

@smitty1077
    It would be nice to have both...nice and expensive

Will a Z10 battery charge last the full day under normal usage (some sms, some email and a bit of web surfing)?
    02-17-14 11:05 AM
    Yes, it does for me. However, phones with physical keyboards do tend to have better battery life.
    02-17-14 01:28 PM
    I have a Q5 and a Z10. Although at one time I preferred a real keyboard, I must say that now that am used to the virtual keyboard and the LARGER screen, my vote goes for the Z10. Generally speaking it is a better phone, but if I someone was on a tight budget I would recommend the Q5.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 02:43 PM
    I already have a Z10 and got myself a Q5 the other day on special offer at Carphone Warehouse. I didn't notice too much difference in functionality or speed in normal use. As a daily driver for calling and texting and occasional browsing I would actually choose the Q5 for its simplicity and ease of use with its physical keyboard. It has an FM radio and the battery is better too. However as a mobile Internet device or multimedia device the Z10 wins. I can hook it up to a TV via HDMI and the extra screen real estate is a plus when browsing or watching videos. The additional 8GB internal flash memory on the Z10 will be useful if you use a lot of apps.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bbtino; 02-17-14 at 03:31 PM.
    raj281977 likes this.
    02-17-14 03:20 PM
    Multimedia or gaming -> Z10 even if worst battery.

Anything else -> Q5. And you can still play a lot of games on it! On my Q10 I also watch some youtube videos. Definetly not movies or long videos.

For me Q5 hands down.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 05:57 PM
    I was using a z10 since they came out last year and bought a q5 on a whim off ebay for 190$. I have to say I am liking the q5 but they bith have strengths. : the Q is definitely more 'poketable' being lighter and slimmer. I am able to run all the apps I used on the z. (podcast, news, banking, bbm, jogging, music(songza-8track). I use my BlackBerry for jogging so find it easier to run with.
    The battery life is about the same. I wouldn't say q's the keyboard is better than the virtual but just different-- I am. Faster on the Z but waay more accurate on the Q.
    The main thing,however, is that the Q feels and looks more like a BlackBerry! Just the way one holds it compared to an all-screen phone. I sometimes have some muscle-memory and start reaching for a non-existant track pad.
    I do use the hdmi out on the Z occasionally; so miss that on the Q. The z's camera is better too
    If you have a tablet handy you might not miss the bigger screen but that is for each to decide. So not an easy decision but either way you get bb10 which is awesome.

Posted via CB10
    pentagon565 likes this.
    02-18-14 12:02 AM
    ... but either way you get bb10 which is awesome.
    I�ve to agree with you...so far I�m really enjoying my BB10 experience.

Thank you all for your replies, they�ve given me useful information for the near future decision
    02-18-14 04:47 AM
    The Q5 is a more superior device, Z10 has issues.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 02:05 AM
    Which version of Z10 is available at your country? as long as its not the STL100-1 i think Z10 is better in my opinion. the Q5 however had built in radio which can be useful if you listen to any radios. You will love Z10 keyboard thats why i switched to the Z10, its because of the keyboard. On Q5/Q10, you won't get the same experience. And for me the BB10 OS is built for full touch no for physical keyboard... i will surely get the Z10

I own and use the BlackBerry Z10 and the Q5. Both smartphones have their advantages and disadvantages depending on the particular use-case. If reading epubs and PDFs is going to be a frequent activity, the BlackBerry Z10 with its larger screen makes this activity more enjoyable. On the other hand if you primary use is communication, be it email, text messages, or social networks then the BlackBerry Q5 with the physical keyboard is better especially if you compose long messages or send a lot of messages. If you use FaceBook and play Candy Crush, the BlackBerry Z10 is the way to go. As I said I have both of these smartphones.
    02-20-14 09:00 AM
    My rule is if you're gonna get a touchscreen phone it's not allowed keypad. My mate has a q5 and it's just not the same with the tiny screen

Posted using my z10 on Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141
    02-20-14 09:09 AM
    To pretty much reitrate what everyone else is saying, here's how you would make your decision: -

BlackBerry Z10

Great for Gaming and consuming Video content
    Great for Reading
    On screen keyboard really is excellent
    Micro HDMI out
    The elusive HDMI Multimedia Dock can be had

BlackBerry Q5

Great keyboard (you'll type slower but more accurately)
    FM Radio capability
    No Micro HDMI however it does have WiFi Direct and Miracast (therefore doesn't need it as the Z10 doesn't have WiFi Direct or Miracast)

I don't take photos much however the Z10 may produce better photos due to it having an 8 megapixel camera to the Q5's 5 megapixel camera

Another question I'd be asking would be how good are you finding the battery life on your Q5? The one massive factor the Z10 has is changeable batteries compared to the Q5ks built in battery and that is a big deal - I require a certain amount of faith with my Q5's battery life whereas the Z10 wasn't an issue because you could swap it out

Posted via CB10
    pentagon565 likes this.
    02-21-14 03:22 AM
    I'm getting a q5 after using a z10 for half a year! I'm gonna be suiting around these two devices. As for the keyboard, I thought I would die at first without something physical to bang out emails on but my god, the touchscreen keyboard on the z10 is easy to use and it really is one helluva intelligent keyboard. But i do want a q5 as I do not need to summon the damn keyboard each time I wanna type out a quick email or an urgent memo

Posted via Crack-friggin-berry Z10
    02-21-14 03:30 AM
    As above I have q5 and z10 and the battery is not noticeably different. Note that,of course, the BlackBerry remote charger kit works fine with q5...

It's really two experiences: a good slider that is not too thick and heavy like the Torch ( although I have fond memories) would solve the conundrum.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 12:01 AM
    I have a z10 and would recommend it to anyone. I did get to use a co-workers Q5 the other day though. I was expecting a cheap feeling keyboard / slow screen response etc..... None of that what so ever. Really shocked how smooth it was. I tried out the browser for a speed test and it was just as fast as my Z. A few bells and whistles missing for sure, but over all, the Q5 would surprise many.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 01:07 AM
    It’s been 10 days since I got my Q5…

Got to say that it’s probably the best phone I’ve owned...

Great OS, no lag, no frozen apps, good battery life for a smartphone…Perfect!

On the otherside, it takes ages for the phone to reboot/restart...Is this normal?

Overall I’m pretty satisfied with my Q5 experience and I’ll probably stick with it and won’t get the Z10...
    smart548, xBURK and pentagon565 like this.
    02-25-14 04:30 AM
    It�s been 10 days since I got my Q5�

Got to say that it�s probably the best phone I�ve owned...

Great OS, no lag, no frozen apps, good battery life for a smartphone�Perfect!

On the otherside, it takes ages for the phone to reboot/restart...Is this normal?

Overall I�m pretty satisfied with my Q5 experience and I�ll probably stick with it and won�t get the Z10...
    Usually you don't need to restart your phone often. Anyway it takes me 2-3 minutes to reboot completly.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 05:58 AM
    Yes, I don't restart it often...I just did that once actually but it took more than 3 minutes to reboot, that's why I wondered if it was normal...

Other than that, great device
    02-25-14 06:09 AM
    I have a z10 which I love. My work phone is a curve. Though I have never tried the Q5 I really want one for work, (or A z30 but that won't happen! ) unfortunately we are getting Nokia lumia next so will road test a windows phone???
    Still might buy a second hand q5 for the hell of it.

Posted via my splendid Z10
    02-27-14 03:41 PM
    I have a z10 which I love. My work phone is a curve. Though I have never tried the Q5 I really want one for work, (or A z30 but that won't happen! ) unfortunately we are getting Nokia lumia next so will road test a windows phone???
    Still might buy a second hand q5 for the hell of it.

Posted via my splendid Z10
    I tried a Windows 8 phone and after initial novelty switched back to BlackBerry 10. I found it a very 'flat' experience: go into an app or function and then back to the up and down windows... and the email and keyboard are terrible. Just my 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 11:50 PM
    I rock both the Q5 and Z10. Both great phones! Have to say though if you are a mega-texter or emailed, the Q5 is my choice. The Z10 is almost like having a mini PlayBook but much faster. Love 'em both and will be happy with them for the time being, though I will be looking at the Q20 and perhaps the rumored Z60....ah, to dream.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 05:19 PM