Engadget reports the Q5 has stopped by the FCC with AT&T 3G bands.

BlackBerry Q5 stops by the FCC with AT&T-friendly 3G
    06-07-13 11:40 AM
    I really want one on TMobile for my wife.

Looks like I might have to wait for a used q10

Posted via CB10
    06-07-13 08:38 PM
    I could not wait for a used Q10 so I paid full retail. I am so impatient, I even have a Z10 in my hands and still couldn't wait.
    06-07-13 10:29 PM
    Engadget reports the Q5 has stopped by the FCC with AT&T 3G bands.

BlackBerry Q5 stops by the FCC with AT&T-friendly 3G
    I don't think this device is intended for NA markets, why would they choose to skip LTE on any model these days, especially when regions where it is less important will be getting it on their q5, it is more likely due to roaming considerations as that article suggests.
    06-08-13 04:13 AM
    06-08-13 12:14 PM
    I believe the U.S. and Canada are NOT in the list of countries that will get the Q5.

BlackBerry's Press release:
    Pricing and Availability

The new BlackBerry Q5 smartphone will be available in selected markets in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia (including the Asia Pacific region), and Latin America, with expected availability beginning in July.
    06-09-13 12:08 AM
    I believe the U.S. and Canada are NOT in the list of countries that will get the Q5.

Why would it need to go through the FCC then? Countries outside the USA don't require that.
    SK122387 likes this.
    06-09-13 01:41 AM

Two versions do carry the bands used in Canada and USA.

The possibility is still there.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 04:28 AM
    Why would it need to go through the FCC then? Countries outside the USA don't require that.
    Carriers in some countries may ask for it so they are covered as far as roaming scenarios.
    06-09-13 04:57 AM
    Two versions do carry the bands used in Canada and USA.

The possibility is still there.
    The omission of Canada from those countries getting the q5 is an unusual one anyway, in the past haven't they always been one of those like the UK that has taken every new device? Perhaps they don't see the need of a cheaper model just yet, something to add later on maybe.
    06-09-13 05:05 AM
    I just can't believe that it will not come to the US/Canada. My wife wants a Q5, not a Z10, not a Q10. And it better be pink! I currently might have to get it from a UK seller, but if it's "good enough" for the UK, why not here? I got to think we'll see it after all the countries planned initially get it. I played with the Q5 at BlackBerry Live. It is plenty snappy. I wouldn't mind carrying one at all!

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 09:44 AM
    I just can't believe that it will not come to the US/Canada. My wife wants a Q5, not a Z10, not a Q10. And it better be pink! I currently might have to get it from a UK seller, but if it's "good enough" for the UK, why not here? I got to think we'll see it after all the countries planned initially get it. I played with the Q5 at BlackBerry Live. It is plenty snappy. I wouldn't mind carrying one at all!
    It mostly comes down to the carriers, the american ones also tended to skip most of the lower end models with bb7 too. It is not about whether or not the device is good enough for a particular country or not so much as it is whether or not the carriers in that country have a range of tariffs that would allow them to support a fuller range of bb10 handsets and think that the market for this device is big enough that it would be a net benefit compared with just stocking the q10.
    06-10-13 04:23 AM
    I don't think this device is intended for NA markets, why would they choose to skip LTE on any model these days, especially when regions where it is less important will be getting it on their q5, it is more likely due to roaming considerations as that article suggests.
    To save manufacturing costs and the fact that most of NA doesn't have LTE coverage? Actually most of the world doesn't have LTE.
    06-11-13 12:58 PM
    Even if it doesn't, it won't be that hard to get one from EU that supports AT&T bands, just a matter of how long you want to wait for price drops.
    06-11-13 07:20 PM
    To save manufacturing costs and the fact that most of NA doesn't have LTE coverage? Actually most of the world doesn't have LTE.
    The costs saved would be minimal and the coverage situation is not the deciding factor for NA, it is the carriers that would expect a device they were offering to include LTE support.
    06-12-13 04:47 AM
    They should bring it to the US and put it on prepaid carriers like Boost, Virgin Mobile, Cricket, etc. They need to get these phones in as many hands as possible especially with an entry level price. That's why curves sell so well.

Posted via CB10
    russworman likes this.
    06-13-13 01:33 PM
    They should bring it to the US and put it on prepaid carriers like Boost, Virgin Mobile, Cricket, etc. They need to get these phones in as many hands as possible especially with an entry level price. That's why curves sell so well.
    Zero chance of any of those carriers getting the device without Verizon or Sprint taking the phone, CDMA is just too unimportant globally for them to produce a device without a sizable order from the big two.
    06-15-13 06:29 AM
    Some would choose to skip LTE because it still doesn't make economic sense to idle the phone with it switched on. 4G idles as well as 3G does, but not LTE since it dries out your battery much quicker.

Sent from my iPhone4S after my Z10 took a trip in the bowl
    06-21-13 12:59 AM
    Carriers in some countries may ask for it so they are covered as far as roaming scenarios.
    Most carriers in the Americas require FCC approval as table stakes to get in the door. They will not take non FCC approved product, so you have to do it if you want to sell in this region.

Also the vision has been that LTE is not necessary outside of the US, however that reality is changing in the next year as more countries light up LTE.
    06-21-13 11:13 AM
    Maybe as a preorder demand and supply phone.I dont think it will be pushed heavy.
    06-21-13 11:31 AM
    I can say this, my wife would have one of it is on TMobile

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 01:43 PM
    I can say this, my wife would have one of it is on TMobile
    There is a variant that has the major North American bands (AT&T LTE 700, TMO LTE 1700, HSPA+ 850, 1700, 1900.) So basically if any GSM carrier in NA besides Rogers sells the Q5, it's guaranteed to work on TMO upon unlocking.
    Last edited by raino; 06-21-13 at 09:32 PM.
    06-21-13 09:18 PM