Hi

So i got me a New black q5 . I am a newbie and having a bit of tough time with the OS . Here are some questions ( i need help , these may be real basic , so please do not laugh at me )

1) what the different blinking lights . I know red is for a new notification . What is green/yellow light ? and how do i turn off the red light and even the green/yellow light from blinking ?

2) i was doing some R n D and created a folder on homescreen and put contacts and blackberry in a folder which i created . how do i put those icons back in main window and delete the folder

3) my battery life was 10 percent ( it indicated low battery ) . in 4-5 mins , the phone switched off . does it mean from 10 percent to 0 percent it got used in 4-5 mins ?????

4) please suggest how to preserve battery ? i have 3g . wifi is off . screen brightness is least . do i need to do anything else ?

5) please suggest sum apps for camera and great video player ( free) from blackberry world .

6) does q10 shortcuts and q5 shortcuts the same ?

7) how to check/kill background running apps ?

8) any other tips or suggestions for a newbie that will basically help me ease out the use of this phone ?
    02-21-14 03:29 AM
    bump !
    any assistance ?
    02-22-14 06:26 AM
    I turn of nfc to save battery. I also turn off 'active swipe' (settings-display swipe to wake) to save battery.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 09:41 AM
    And settings-app manager - device monitor to manage running apps

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 09:43 AM
    1. For me yellow starts to blink when battery is <=20%, whereas red when it is <=10% in addition to notifying me of something new happening (call, text, reminder, etc). Green lights up when the phone is fully charged. I do not now what is the scope of what is being turned off, but there is a function within Settings -> Notifications, which allows you to switch the LED off. Give it a try and write back what is the extent of changes.

2. Go to the created folder. Press and hold icon you want to move out of the folder until it becomes "movable". Pull it to the bottom of the screen and voila, you can place it anywhere you want again on the home screen. Moving last item out of the folder will make the folder automatically disappear, no need to delete it separately.

3. With a new phone let the software calibrate for a couple of charging and discharging cycles. As soon as it "knows" the limits of the battery and how much energy different tasks require you will not run into similar issues.

4. I usually simply close all of the apps when I do not need them, unless they are headless of course. Other than that you pretty much named it.

5. No hints from me here, may be someone else responses.

6. Do not think there is a difference. Both phones use the same OS and have the same keyboard layout.

7. Either you are running some apps and you see them minimized between hub and home screen or they are headless. Latter ones can be deleted in order to reduce the effect on peformance, whereas the first ones can be simply closed by tapping on an 'x' while they are minimized.
    Last edited by Mihal Shopofolives; 02-22-14 at 10:14 AM.
    02-22-14 09:51 AM
    I turn of nfc to save battery. I also turn off 'active swipe' (settings-display swipe to wake) to save battery.

Posted via CB10
    hw to turn off nfc?
    I guess the indian version might not even have the nfc,though am not sure
    02-22-14 10:15 PM
    The Indian version (The SQR100-3) does not have NFC support. I should know since I have that model.
    02-23-14 05:07 AM
    Hi

Q5 Help thread to a newbie - Basic questions-56199-doctor-who-9-hello-gif-ydyk.gif

So i got me a New black q5 . I am a newbie and having a bit of tough time with the OS . Here are some questions ( i need help , these may be real basic , so please do not laugh at me )

We'll try.

1) what the different blinking lights . I know red is for a new notification . What is green/yellow light ? and how do i turn off the red light and even the green/yellow light from blinking ?

Green USED (I say used because I have never seen it on my Z10) to be fully charged while orange/yellow is charging. Settings > Notifications to turn it off, but you can't do anything about charging indicators.

2) i was doing some R n D and created a folder on homescreen and put contacts and blackberry in a folder which i created . how do i put those icons back in main window and delete the folder

Tap and hold on any icon till they pulse. You'll see a trash can icon on the corner for all of them, then drag the app you want out of the folder to the bottom bar where the folder name is.

3) my battery life was 10 percent ( it indicated low battery ) . in 4-5 mins , the phone switched off . does it mean from 10 percent to 0 percent it got used in 4-5 mins ?????

No. BlackBerry's QNX powered device will shutitself off to prevent system damage due to lack of power. If you force it it should turn on again, but I would rather you let it rest till you can charge it some.

4) please suggest how to preserve battery ? i have 3g . wifi is off . screen brightness is least . do i need to do anything else ?

Ten tips and tricks to extend your BlackBerry Z10 battery life | CrackBerry.com

5) please suggest sum apps for camera and great video player ( free) from blackberry world .

Not my thing, maybe some other users can help.

6) does q10 shortcuts and q5 shortcuts the same ?

Yep.

7) how to check/kill background running apps ?

Settings > Application Manager

8) any other tips or suggestions for a newbie that will basically help me ease out the use of this phone ?
    Just keep using it and don't be shy to ask if you have issues!
    Mihal Shopofolives likes this.
    02-25-14 02:21 PM
    Just keep using it and don't be shy to ask if you have issues!
    I'd like to add: and do not forget to back up! Even though the probability of breaking something down is relatively low, you just insure yourself against it for 100%!

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    02-25-14 05:30 PM