We have a Q5 that was never connected to data or wifi, the other night we connected it to wifi to update, update did not complete because there wasn't enough space. We turned wifi off, decided to forget about it and now the phone has a very bad battery drain. The phone was only ever used for texting and phone calls, battery life was usually about a week. Now it won't last 4 hours. There are no apps such as Facebook or Twitter, they were deleted when we got the phone 6 years ago. There are no games, no internet had been used at all until that update attempt. I have been reading that this battery drain is common, especially after an update but as I said, the update did not complete. This is my husband's phone, he is not tech savvy at all, I am an android girl so this blackberry is completely foreign to me. I tried to call the blackberry hotline, because it was not purchased through blackberry they want to charge for tech support, I did call our provider and they couldn't help. I need someone to walk me through on how to fix this and whoever it is needs to keep in mind I am blackberry stupid and my husband is technically challenged. Please someone help, my husband is losing his mind and making my life difficult, you will be saving his life and our marriage
    01-11-20 10:49 AM
    Can you open the device monitor to see if anything is draining the battery. Under cpu usage too, System should be at 5-10% when the phone's idling.

Try a hard reboot: hold vol up and down keys until the phone goes into its boot cycle. You'll see a screenshot captured but you can ignore that.

Are there email accounts in the hub? Might be worth deleting and redoing them.

Just a few things to rule out. Ota/Link upgrades can go wrong even though this one didn't complete. An autoloader fresh install of the latest os might be the best fix if the other items above don't improve the battery life. Good luck and we'll try to help you through this!

Posted via CB10
    01-11-20 01:19 PM
    We have a Q5 that was never connected to data or wifi, the other night we connected it to wifi to update, update did not complete because there wasn't enough space. We turned wifi off, decided to forget about it and now the phone has a very bad battery drain. The phone was only ever used for texting and phone calls, battery life was usually about a week. Now it won't last 4 hours. There are no apps such as Facebook or Twitter, they were deleted when we got the phone 6 years ago. There are no games, no internet had been used at all until that update attempt. I have been reading that this battery drain is common, especially after an update but as I said, the update did not complete. This is my husband's phone, he is not tech savvy at all, I am an android girl so this blackberry is completely foreign to me. I tried to call the blackberry hotline, because it was not purchased through blackberry they want to charge for tech support, I did call our provider and they couldn't help. I need someone to walk me through on how to fix this and whoever it is needs to keep in mind I am blackberry stupid and my husband is technically challenged. Please someone help, my husband is losing his mind and making my life difficult, you will be saving his life and our marriage
    Just do a clean install of the newest OS with an autoloader.

Download to PC, unzip it, plug in your device, and run it. The device will be wiped.

https://mega.nz/#!RJJWTTzT!USoRTNKQv...Bcej8X1VLRT6NU
    01-11-20 01:28 PM
    If I do a wipe will he lose all his texts? He is a self contractor and there are texts that he needs for income tax purposes so losing them is not an option. Can we download his texts to a computer?
    01-11-20 02:02 PM
    I'm sorry, autoloader means what? No email accounts, just texts and pictures that he cannot lose. The texts especially as he needs some for income tax purposes. We did do the hard reboot, it didn't help. Where do I find device monitor?
    01-11-20 02:07 PM
    If I do a wipe will he lose all his texts? He is a self contractor and there are texts that he needs for income tax purposes so losing them is not an option. Can we download his texts to a computer?
    BlackBerry World has some free SMS backup apps.
    01-11-20 02:09 PM
    I'm sorry, autoloader means what? No email accounts, just texts and pictures that he cannot lose. The texts especially as he needs some for income tax purposes. We did do the hard reboot, it didn't help. Where do I find device monitor?
    An autoloader is a file that you download and use to install an OS version on a bb10 device. It's a good way to ensure a fresh install but it will wipe the device as mentioned. Let us know if you need any help with the sms backup process. As conite mentioned, there are some options to work with.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-20 08:39 AM
    Device Monitor is under Settings and then App Manager. It will show the battery usage of the phone.

If it is only a few texts, you can maybe take screen shots and save them to an SD card. Otherwise back them up as Conite suggested. Photos can saved to an SD card or send to a computer via USB cable.

The Q 5 has always posed some difficulty with operating system updates due to it's limited storage space.

If you can get your data off the phone, the autoloader worked great for one of my Q 5s. The other one I use remains on an older version of the operating system (10.3.2) because I don't want to wipe the device.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-20 07:45 PM
    Any luck, op?
    01-19-20 03:24 PM
    Just do a clean install of the newest OS with an autoloader.

Download to PC, unzip it, plug in your device, and run it. The device will be wiped.

https://mega.nz/#!RJJWTTzT!USoRTNKQv...Bcej8X1VLRT6NU
    Hi Conite

My wife's Q5 has the same issue in that the battery life plummets once it is unplugged. I tried a hard reset and then downloaded your Autoloader and reloaded the operating system. Battery still draining. Should I see if we can replace the battery? She really loves the phone and would rather not replace it.

Thanks for your help!!
    03-06-20 09:09 PM
    Hi Conite

My wife's Q5 has the same issue in that the battery life plummets once it is unplugged. I tried a hard reset and then downloaded your Autoloader and reloaded the operating system. Battery still draining. Should I see if we can replace the battery? She really loves the phone and would rather not replace it.

Thanks for your help!!
    It would seem to be the battery. I'd get a replacement.
    03-06-20 09:36 PM
    I second that, Def sounds like the battery. Batteries can be had for under 30$ on ebay or amazon. Replacement is quite simple as well, and tons of guides online on how to.

Since you have the phone apart as well, if it's a bit dinged up its a great opportunity to give it a new housing! They can also be had for very cheaply on ebay. The phone will be practically brand new!

Posted via CB10
    03-10-20 01:19 PM
    the last time I had a Q5 battery drain, whatsapp android crossover seemed to be causing it. uninstalled and then took almost 10 full recharge cycles to get it back to normal
    04-02-20 07:14 AM
    write here for not open another topic, just changed my q5 battery with a new replacement but it hasn't the adhesive-glue.... big problem? I put some adhesive tape, everything looks ok...

And another question, does the battery need some loading/unloading cycle? Compared to before the situation has improved but I thought better, 88% this morning and now 60% in stand-by without cellular network...
    04-13-22 02:22 PM