I have only had Z10/Z30, no experience with PKB models.

I gave a Q5 to a friend like a 1+ years ago and there has always been some random pocket dialing, but lately it might be worse (at least I've gotten more).

She doesn't have a password lock on the phone, but my expectation was that you still needed to swipe UP to unlock the phone if the phone was turned off with a quick press of the power button (IIRC, that's what I was doing when I initially set it up for her). In her case, there are about half a dozen keys that will bypass the lock screen. So when the phone is in her purse or pocket, some keys are pressed, the phone gets unlocked, and then whatever txt/phone was last up on the screen is trivial to cause a redial.

Is this expected because she doesn't have password protected lock screen and this is a "feature" so that you can begin typing on keyboard without having to swipe up? I always knew you could start typing on the keyboard to have it do twitter and stuff, but I always assumed the phone was unlocked first and you were sitting on the Home screen. My impression is that the phone is defective due to multiple specific buttons being able to unlock the phone without swipe or power button press. I don't have the phone in front of me and only had a few minutes to look at the issue, so I don't know if there is a setting somewhere that enabled unlocking without swipe up.

Is this a feature or a bug?

Thanks in advance.
    04-20-15 08:03 PM
    My Q5 awakes when I press a number. But I still have to swipe up to get out of the lock screen.

I'm guessing you have the "swipe to wake" option off.

Posted from CB10 on my awesome Q5
    BCITMike likes this.
    04-20-15 09:41 PM
    Mine does not unlock by pressing a key. Not sure if unlock could be set for one of the shortcut keys or not. Might be worth a check. Settings > shortcuts and speed dial, then just scroll through to see

Posted via CB10
    BCITMike likes this.
    04-20-15 09:44 PM
    I suggest you check the Display options under Settings. If a pass code is not being used, setting the Swipe to Wake option to OFF will require pressing the Power/Lock Key to wake up the phone and prevent pocket dialling once the Display has timed out. Setting the Screen Timeout to one minute will also help.
    BCITMike likes this.
    04-21-15 05:54 PM
    I suggest you check the Display options under Settings. If a pass code is not being used, setting the Swipe to Wake option to OFF will require pressing the Power/Lock Key to wake up the phone and prevent pocket dialling once the Display has timed out. Setting the Screen Timeout to one minute will also help.
    I had to do this because of the number of pocketdial 911 calls it was making, so highly recommended!
    04-24-15 04:34 PM
    Well - as my powerbutton broke long time ago,
    I found out, pressing "u" unlocks the screen - and if no unlock-password/pin is set, you're going to homescreen.

Give that a try.

Keep in mind, lock and displayoff are two things on BlackBerry phones.

First one awakes from pretty much as you described.

To prevent accidential calling,
    Set a Device password and lock time/lock on screen off. And Disable swipe to wake!

Through your poket your skin can still make inputs. (That's Why u should place screen facing away from body)
    05-07-15 01:10 AM
    She is back at my place today and I just disabled "Swipe to Wake" and that looks like it will resolve the issue!

Thanks!
    anon(5597702) and awindsr like this.
    05-28-15 08:48 PM
    She is back at my place today and I just disabled "Swipe to Wake" and that looks like it will resolve the issue!

Thanks!
    Awesome to hear

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 07:31 PM
    There is a new solution to the pocket calling problem. An app called PocketSafe is now available in BlackBerry World. PocketSafe is the only solution and it works perfectly on my Passport. It not only prevents pocket calling but also protects you from muting or dialing when you press the phone to your face during a call.

It will even prevent pocket dialing if you forget to lock the screen before putting the phone in your pocket.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 11:09 PM
    When using PocketSafe, to prevent getting the pop up every time your hand passes close to the sensor you can use battery saving mode. Swipe down from top of screen and you will see the Settings button. Turn on battery saving mode. With this option turned on the app will only function if it detects a close object within 10 seconds after the screen turns on. That will solve your problem. However, with battery saving on, your screen must be turned off before putting the phone in your pocket. Otherwise you will not be protected from pocket dialing until your screen turns off automatically, which may never happen if it begins pocket dialing right after it goes in your pocket.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 10:06 PM
    On a Classic, Q10 or Passport you can press U to wake the phone. I don't know if it's the same on the Q5.
    08-15-15 08:20 AM