I just returned to blackberry world by getting Q5 after being an andorider and iPhone used to almost 4 years. and I am actually very DISAPPOINTED!

I could not find Instagram or Tango apps in the app world which shocked. I've been searching online all day and I just could not figure out how to sideload or debug or whether I actually need to do that since I am using OS 10.2.1.2102 where some users said I could download apk app directly and it will work which did not in my case

Could someone help with the easiest and most recent way to get those apps on my Q5?

Thanks in advance
    05-02-14 04:06 PM
    Tango is out for BB10, however I just checked and they've only made it available for Z10, Z30, and Z3 unfortunately. (Exact same as Viber which came out only last week.)

Instagram has not released a BB10. There are however a couple 3rd party Instagram BB10 clients. iGrann seems to be the most popular and another I know of is BlackGram.

You do NOT need to sideload, use a debug token, or any other such method to use Android apps on your Q5. You can directly load Android by installing their apk file on your BB10 device running 10.2.1.

Before I can steer you in the right direction, could you please elaborate as to how exactly you tried to do this and in what way it didn't work?
    mosr3_bshwaish and greenpoise like this.
    05-02-14 05:51 PM
    Download the android app store from amazon (Google "download amazon app store"). Install it and they you can fill in any holes in thee apps u use.

Also: igrann is a decent native instagram client

All the best

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 and mosr3_bshwaish like this.
    05-02-14 05:52 PM
    Get iGrann for instagram. It's native and free and IMO as good if not better than instagram. Sorry, have not heard of the other app.

Posted via CB10
    mosr3_bshwaish likes this.
    05-03-14 04:08 AM
    Tango is out for BB10, however I just checked and they've only made it available for Z10, Z30, and Z3 unfortunately. (Exact same as Viber which came out only last week.)

Instagram has not released a BB10. There are however a couple 3rd party Instagram BB10 clients. iGrann seems to be the most popular and another I know of is BlackGram.

You do NOT need to sideload, use a debug token, or any other such method to use Android apps on your Q5. You can directly load Android by installing their apk file on your BB10 device running 10.2.1.

Before I can steer you in the right direction, could you please elaborate as to how exactly you tried to do this and in what way it didn't work?
    I've been actually installing BAR files instead of APK, which might have explained what was happening. Could you please explain what debug token is and what would it do? Thanks!
    05-03-14 02:17 PM

Sorry for the ignorant question but why would they provide an app for some models and not for others? Aren't they all on BB10?

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 04:26 PM
    Sorry for the ignorant question but why would they provide an app for some models and not for others? Aren't they all on BB10?
    The 720x720 screen resolution off Q10 & Q5 is both an unusual screen size and an unusual aspect ration (1:1) altogether.

Some devs porting their Android apps might literally be too lazy to even figure out if it would work or not on a Q device.
    (We see this all the time when a ported Android app is in BB World only for Z devices, but numerous Q device users have directly installed the Android apk file and the app or game works great.)

How they built their app/game would matter too. If they specifically made each screen using the common 16:9 or 15:9 aspect ratios, then it very well might not work. If they designed it to scale itself dynamically it would. This all info that likely only the dev knows, so you can try to contact them and ask.

Hope that made sense...
    greenpoise likes this.
    05-03-14 05:26 PM
    I've been actually installing BAR files instead of APK, which might have explained what was happening. Could you please explain what debug token is and what would it do? Thanks!
    Maybe my original post was written poorly... Sorry, I meant you do NOT need to use a debug token, so don't worry about that!
    As long as you're on OS 10.2.1 you can install apk files directly without converting to bar files.

Check out the Sticky Threads at the top of our Android Apps (apk files) Forum:
    Android Apps (APK Files) - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

It's worth sideloading Snap which is a Google Play native BB10 client. With Snap you can check for updates. There are other stores available to download directly as apk files onto your device, or you can download directly from Google Play using your BB10 Browser via the Evozi apk downloader site.
    05-03-14 05:34 PM

It's stupid not to have those apps for the Qs, it doesn't make any sense. Also, that one major reason why BlackBerry should make sure every phone from now on is 16:9.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 07:57 PM
    I don't even know what tango is or what it does and could care less for instagram. I think I bought this phone because it brings all I need already installed...but I find it interesting that the screen is the reason the apps aren't in these phones. All good though...BB10 all the way, tango or no tango.

Posted via CB10
    Uzi likes this.
    05-03-14 09:48 PM