So I just got my new Q5 yesterday. Despite already owning a Q10 and a Z30 I had to satisfy my addiction with this latest acquisition!

In this post I will describe my first impressions of the device and also update from time to time as I become more accustomed to it - I will list the updates at the bottom with dates (I plan to go into a fair bit of detail). Hopefully this will help any others considering adding the Q5 to their collection!

BUILD QUALITY / FORM FACTOR:

My first impression of the Q5's build quality was better than I expected. The device feels more solid than I thought it would be and there is no creaking in the housing when handled. The device also does not seem as 'tall' as photos online seem to show (strangely) and so the length to width proportions feel more compact than I expected, giving the device a very oldskool blackberry charm. The aesthetics are also more sleek and appealing when physically in my hands then the impression I had from photos/videos online. Also, at only 120g I expected the lack of weight to perhaps bother me (I like a bit of weight in terms of ergonomics) but it is actually a nice weight, feeling heavier than I expected and more solid. I can't stand devices that are so light that you barely feel like you are holding anything.

*One thing I have found to be a slight annoyance is that the lock/sleep button does not stick out very far meaning that locking the device can be a bit clumsy at times as it requires a fair bit of accuracy and force for it to register, although this is made worse for me as I use the official soft shell case which adds it's own rubberised button layer on top of the lock button itself. But this is only a minor gripe.

KEYBOARD:

The keyboard is one of the primary reasons I bought this device after reading many good comments about it here on the forums and elsewhere, and also after suffering from the dreaded Q10 double typing issue. I can say with complete conviction that the keyboard on this device is a joy to use. It may not have the premium feel or be made of the same premium materials as that of the Q10, but it allows for some very rapid, smooth and effortless typing, and in the end of the day it's the practical use that matters more than anything else right? I would describe the tactile feedback of the keys as feeling somewhere between the softness of the Bolds and the punchy/firm/clickyness of the curves, so rather unique, but very satisfying.

SCREEN / DISPLAY:

The display seems to be set in deeper behind the glass than that of other BB10 devices I have used - this is just a minor observation and does not have any practical bearing on anything. The display is nice and clear, with text, icons, and graphics looking sharp and well defined. The difference of the colour/brightness is immediately noticeable for me on the Q5's LCD display, after being used to my Q10/Z30 AMOLED displays. There is more brightness available on the display settings slider which is nice to have, but the colours generally look quite washed out and lack the richness found on the Q10/Z30. Also as a minor note, the LCD on the Q5 can be set to much less bright than it's AMOLED counterparts (when on minimum) and much much brighter when on maximum so it appeals to both ends of the spectrum.

*After more time with the Q5 I am finding that I cannot use the device on minimum brightness in order to save battery power like I can on Q10 or Z30. Minimum brightness on the Q5's LCD is simply too dull and I have to have it set to at least 25% for a comfortable viewing experience. This is a shame as it means I have to sacrifice some battery runtime in order to enjoy the device in everyday use.

BATTERY:

It's a little early for me to make any kind of reliable assessment of the battery performance of the Q5 but what I can say at this point is that it has seen me through the best part of 2 days mixed use so far which is pleasing. As an estimate from my impressions of how the device consumes battery I would have to say that it seems to be on par with the Q10 at least (and may possibly prove better after the battery beds in after a week or so) and perhaps falls a little short of what I can squeeze out of my Z30. But as I have already said, it's still early days and apparently the battery performance on these devices improves after the first few initial charging cycles (if what others claim is to be believed) so I will have to update here with further impressions after some time has passed. For now i'll provide a device monitor snapshot of my first couple of days use below. As I type this I have only just fallen below 20% after the first full charge on Saturday night (now being Monday night) which leaves me a couple hours shy of 2 days with further juice to spare so first impressions are definitely good.

*After now using the device for a few weeks I can confirm the kind of battery life I am getting with more confidence. I typically get the best part of 2 days, but bear in mind that this includes powering off the device over night (I use another one of my berries as an alarm!). What I have found is that 10.3.1.1154 is extremely battery efficient when the device is in standby and holds charge very well (same as I have found on Q10 and Z30) but due to the LCD screen, the Q5 can lose good chunks of charge after extended periods of constant use. But with my typical usage patterns I can definitely squeeze out 1.5 days at the very least and 2 days if I happen to use it a bit less. I feel that my Q10 can probably out last it due to the AMOLED display, but for no other reason.

Attachment 326906

Attachment 326907

CONNECTIONS:

I have found network signal reception to be brilliant on the Q5 with nice clear call quality. My only gripe is that my WIFI signal seems to drop out or get quite low sometimes at a distance where my Q10 or Z30 (running same OS version) wouldn't - and I'm talking only a few meters from my home wireless router.

OS / SOFTWARE:

I'm running 10.3.1.1154 on my Q5 and it runs nice and smooth for the most part but there is some noticeable lag (all be it small) compared to its higher powered siblings. Apps and menus will generally take a bit longer to fire up but it's not to the point where it's an annoyance. Just a minor observation.

11/01/2015:
    First entry (more sections to be added soon)

12/01/2015:
    Battery section added

25/01/2015:
    Build quality / Form factor section updated*
    Screen / Display section updated*
    Battery section updated*
    Connections section added
    OS / Software section added
    Last edited by InfinityBob; 01-25-15 at 05:22 PM.
    01-11-15 06:22 PM
    Congratulations InfinityBob! Would you like to reserve the second post for updates?

Oh wait...
    *snickers*
    01-12-15 12:28 AM
    Congratulations InfinityBob! Would you like to reserve the second post for updates?

Oh wait...
    *snickers*
    Looks like I'll have to manage without!!

Just added new battery section

Z30 / Q5 / Q10 / 10.3.1.1154
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    01-12-15 03:47 PM
    Subscribed
    01-12-15 07:43 PM
    Yes it's an excellent device. Similar but different to the Q10. I also bought one as I suffered double typing on the Q10 too. The keyboard is not "mushy" like the Q10 and I believe would never (hopefully) develop the same double typing problems. I also love the feel and weight of the Q5. Just an overall practical and robust phone.

Posted via CB10
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    01-12-15 07:57 PM
    Have owned a Q5 since september 2013, it has been very reliable, the keyboard has no double typing issues and no wear on keys, the battery lasts about two days of light use, and it is in as new condition mainly due to having a genuine Blackberry hard shell case which allows instant access to keyboard, an underrated phone and at present prices a bargain.
    SpartanSK117, Sal1982 and mh1983 like this.
    01-13-15 03:54 AM
    Just received my red one three days ago ;-) Immediatly load up the latest leak and..man..what a device!! Right now I'm loving it much more than the Q10. The only downside (at least for me) is the clicky keyboard..I'm preferring the Q5 keyboard (more spacing between buttons) over the Q10 one but it's a bit noisy.
    Excellent device. The screen is great, the os runs smoothly, the camera is more than ok, the sound is clear when you are calling someone and (to me) it seems the GPU to be a bit faster than the Q10 GPU as some games load faster and behave better

Posted via CB10
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    01-17-15 05:17 AM
    InfinityBob, have you abandoned the cause?
    01-17-15 08:02 AM
    InfinityBob, have you abandoned the cause?
    I will be back to update this for sure! Just wasn't a lot more I could say so soon after starting off with the Q5 so I'm just giving it a little time and then I will be expanding my main post. Once I do I will bump the thread I won't be too long as I've now been using the device a week so I'm starting to find things I can add now that I've been using it a bit longer.

Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    01-17-15 08:13 AM
    Just received my red one three days ago ;-) Immediatly load up the latest leak and..man..what a device!! Right now I'm loving it much more than the Q10. The only downside (at least for me) is the clicky keyboard..I'm preferring the Q5 keyboard (more spacing between buttons) over the Q10 one but it's a bit noisy.
    Excellent device. The screen is great, the os runs smoothly, the camera is more than ok, the sound is clear when you are calling someone and (to me) it seems the GPU to be a bit faster than the Q10 GPU as some games load faster and behave better

Posted via CB10
    Do you mind giving me a link about the leaked os for the q5? I want to install 10.3.1 but i dont know how

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 08:49 AM
    Do you mind giving me a link about the leaked os for the q5? I want to install 10.3.1 but i dont know how

Posted via CB10
    https://mega.co.nz/#!99Y3wTQa!eM26-4...g7mzoiSFEww6m4

1. Download this file (it is a .zip)
    2. Backup your device using BBLink
    3. Backup contacts and other important/essential things using other method (via an app on BBWorld)
    4. Connect your Q5 to your pc. If BB Link opens,close it.
    5. Power off your device.
    6. Open the .zip you downloaded and then double click on the .exe that you'll find inside.
    7. When you read on the command something like 'connecting to bootrom' power on your device.
    8. The led will become green.
    9. After 10-15-20 minutes your device will restart and you'll have the latest 10.3.1
    10. Remember that this method is destructive, so you'll loose all your data.
    11. I suggest restoring only the important things (like contacts) and NOT restoring through BB link.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 04:13 PM
    Anyway, that's the official thread for 10.3.1.2072:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=990410

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 04:14 PM
    Just recently saw a post about fixing the double type issue on the Q10.
    The member adjusted something under the keyboard and put it back together. He discovered a misalignment under the suspect key.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 05:00 PM
    I have a Q5. It was my first BB10 device, then i went to the Z10, Q10 back to the Z10, broke the Z10 back on the Q5 till i can get my Z30 lol. I like the Q5 i think it is a reliable device, definitely a great second device to have also.
    sedat, awindsr and SpartanSK117 like this.
    01-20-15 06:20 PM
    https://mega.co.nz/#!99Y3wTQa!eM26-4...g7mzoiSFEww6m4

1. Download this file (it is a .zip)
    2. Backup your device using BBLink
    3. Backup contacts and other important/essential things using other method (via an app on BBWorld)
    4. Connect your Q5 to your pc. If BB Link opens,close it.
    5. Power off your device.
    6. Open the .zip you downloaded and then double click on the .exe that you'll find inside.
    7. When you read on the command something like 'connecting to bootrom' power on your device.
    8. The led will become green.
    9. After 10-15-20 minutes your device will restart and you'll have the latest 10.3.1
    10. Remember that this method is destructive, so you'll loose all your data.
    11. I suggest restoring only the important things (like contacts) and NOT restoring through BB link.

Posted via CB10
    Can I ask why not through BlackBerry Link? I've used it several times when installing leaks. Only drawback would be the 'you need to update your account' error which I can't seem to get rid of.

'Clickity-Clack' goes my keypad! - White BlackBerry Q5
    sedat likes this.
    01-22-15 08:14 PM
    Can I ask why not through BlackBerry Link? I've used it several times when installing leaks. Only drawback would be the 'you need to update your account' error which I can't seem to get rid of.

Sometimes it clashes with the settings. It got stuck in boot loop for me a few times.
    01-22-15 09:10 PM

Fist time i installed a leak on my Q5 BB Link was open. It got stuck in a boot loop and was a nightmare to fix (reloading OS on BB10 is a little different then BBOS). Once it was restored i went into link uncheked the "start when Blackberry Device is connected" setting. Tried it again and it worked like a charm, always make sure link is closed for good measure when doing a leak install.
    01-23-15 11:39 AM
    Can anyone with 10.3.1 installed on the Q5 post screenshot of their homescreen and hub? I'd like to see if it looks the same as that of the passport and classic considering the Q5 has a smaller screen..
    01-24-15 11:22 PM
    01-24-15 11:47 PM
    [QUOTE=umaima.b.zia;11291428]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150125_094426.png 
Views:	358 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	329560

omg plug it in already!!!
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    01-24-15 11:50 PM

omg plug it in already!!!
    Hahahaha
    01-24-15 11:55 PM
    Guys. Just made a large update to all sections except keyboard section.

Also, two new sections added.

Hope this helps. I will still add more details at some point!

Loving the Q5!

nglfmark likes this.
    01-25-15 05:15 PM