Hello all,

I've just got myself an unlocked Q5 to play around with. I've been an iPhone user for a few years, and I've authored a few iPhone apps, but I have been curious to try the new Blackberry gear since it was originally announced back in 2011.

I've figured out my way around most of the stuff on the phone; got the screens set up the way I like, downloaded some apps from App World, that sort of thing. I have no interest in the side-loading / android stuff. My understanding is if I stick to apps with the "Made for Blackberry" logo, those are all native right?

The Q5 I got was used, and it appears to be on the latest OS but I suspect it's running the leak rather than the real thing? In Settings -> About -> OS it says the OS Version is 10.2.1.1925 and the Radio Version is 10.2.1.1926. I'm reading about "537" in the forums but I don't see that in here anywhere, and the software updates screen says I am on the latest. Do I need to worry about running on a 'leak' or can I just leave it as it is?

The last question is, does Blackberry have a Cloud service in place for backups and data sharing? Coming from the iPhone, you can back up your phone to iCloud. Does Blackberry have something along those lines, or must I connect to a computer to do a backup? Oh or could I backup the phone to a Micro SD card?

Thanks!
    02-07-14 09:30 AM
    Hi and welcome to the CrackBerry forums. Glad you're enjoying your new Q5.

The question about your OS. You may well be on a leak but to be honest the leak and the official version are the same OS - 10.2.1.1925. The .537 people are mentioning is the same OS, but that number is the software version. If you take a look in Settings>About>OS, you'll also see your software version is 10.2.1.537.

BlackBerry does not currently have a cloud backup solution. Only one via a computer using BlackBerry Link. I also recommend you turn on BlackBerry Protect (found in the settings), this is much like the Find my iPhone app on iOS.
    02-07-14 10:14 AM
    Unfortunatly there is no all-in back-up solution for BB10 devices yet. The best method would be the BlackBerry Link software on your computer to backup your device. Besides that you can always use common services like Google or outlook.com for cloud based PIM backups. There's also an application called fire chest backup, which can also perform backups to cloudservices like Dropbox.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    02-07-14 10:52 AM
    Thank you both for the quick replies!

I'll set up the Link software so I can do backups now and then. Hopefully a built-in backup method gets included in 10.3!

Re. the version, under "Software Release" it says "No information available." but under "OS Version" it says 10.2.1.1925.

Cheers!
    02-07-14 03:54 PM
    Fire Chest Backup is not working at the moment as Dropbox has changed their API (!?!). This doesn't affect installs prior to about the 5th Feb, so if you have the app don't delete it. Because if you download and install it at the moment, you will have problems with the log-in.

Will have an update out early next week to fix this.
    02-07-14 04:33 PM
    I have photos automatically go to Dropbox. And Outlook backs up all my contacts and notes , emails etc. BlackBerry World knows which apps one has paid for. So no need for pc backup IMHO.
    As for android apps I just use 3: Netflix, iliga(soccer scores) and songza. Note that with 10.2.1 one can download directly from the various android app stores so really no "side loading " necessary anymore.

Enjoy.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 01:26 PM
    Link can sync to your phone over a wireless connection aswell, coming from using ios a lot I had to get this working.

I set my BlackBerry Link to sync with iTunes, iphoto, contacts, and a videos folder(box). Those are the same applications that sync with my iPad from my mac.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    02-13-14 01:18 AM
    New version of Fire Chest Backup available. Updated Dropbox integration.
    02-14-14 08:46 AM