Trying to update my Q5 from 10.3.1 to 10.3.2 today but it seems impossible?

When I try, it tells me that the update is 1.6GB and I need to 'free up' 1.6GB of space.

In Settings / Storage / Details it says:
    System: 2.04GB
    Files: 125MB
    Apps: 890MB
    Free: 2.87GB

So either it's ignoring the 2.87GB that's already free, or it's saying that it needs a total of 4.47GB to run the update? I don't think this phone had 4.47GB free fresh 'out of the box. I don't have 1.6GB worth of stuff to delete anyways, just barely 1 GB worth of files & apps.

I've searched on the forum here and it seems that the only other options I've seen so far require a computer.

If I put a SD memory card in the phone, can it use that as free space for the update?
    05-31-16 08:59 AM
    It's almost impossible to update a Q5 without a computer. You need more temporary space on the device than the Q5 can offer.
    05-31-16 09:04 AM
    Thanks conite for the quick answer!

Disappointing news though.

I wonder if I can get Link to run on a windows XP netbook...
    05-31-16 09:09 AM
    Thanks conite for the quick answer!

Disappointing news though.

I wonder if I can get Link to run on a windows XP netbook...
    It is still officially supported I believe.
    05-31-16 09:40 AM
    Its been awhile since I did it, I've done all my updates OTA except one fix with help from BlackBerry to update a Bold 9790 (after atnt transferred me to them).

I deleted all my apps that could be redownloaded, AND any apps I was allowed to delete that I knew I wouldn't ever use. I restarted the phone and had enough room, then when you're done and the phone settles you can get back your missing apps. Use sd card for everything you can like pics and docs and music, as Q5 storage limits you a lot, it is what it is.
    05-31-16 01:02 PM
    What an ordeal. I know at least part of the problem is that I don't have access to a modern windows computer...

It took all day to get Link running 'sort of' on my little XP netbook. I was at least, eventually, able to get a backup of my Q5. Then I tried using Link to update the OS and it just failed over and over. It would fail while downloading the update. Get to 8% or 10% then just fail and I've have to start again. And every time, it would start again at 0% ?!?

It got as high as 15% but never got past that, I tried about a dozen times before giving up last night.

I figured the only hope to update the OS at this point was to try an autoloader. And I figured, in for a penny, in for a pound so I went with the beta 10.3.3 one. Because ****-it, I don't care any more if it bricks, dies, or just doesn't work. It's not my main phone.

First time using an autoloader, and it worked!

Finally on the bleeding-edge with my Q5. Can't set the wallpaper, can't set the picture-password, none of the apps I want to use exist any more, but at least the OS is updated!

LOL
    06-01-16 11:03 AM
    What an ordeal. I know at least part of the problem is that I don't have access to a modern windows computer...

It took all day to get Link running 'sort of' on my little XP netbook. I was at least, eventually, able to get a backup of my Q5. Then I tried using Link to update the OS and it just failed over and over. It would fail while downloading the update. Get to 8% or 10% then just fail and I've have to start again. And every time, it would start again at 0% ?!?

It got as high as 15% but never got past that, I tried about a dozen times before giving up last night.

I figured the only hope to update the OS at this point was to try an autoloader. And I figured, in for a penny, in for a pound so I went with the beta 10.3.3 one. Because ****-it, I don't care any more if it bricks, dies, or just doesn't work. It's not my main phone.

First time using an autoloader, and it worked!

Finally on the bleeding-edge with my Q5. Can't set the wallpaper, can't set the picture-password, none of the apps I want to use exist any more, but at least the OS is updated!

LOL
    Wow! Your a monster Stef..lol. The guts of a burglar. Maybe let us know what you can and cannot do with the OS, changes etc.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-01-16 11:18 AM
    Wow! Your a monster Stef..lol. The guts of a burglar. Maybe let us know what you can and cannot do with the OS, changes etc.

Well it's a developers beta OS so it's not really fair to list what's missing / not working, since it's not ready nor intended for regular use.

So these are not complaints, just observations!

I can't set a wallpaper, it lets me try but doesn't actuall stick. This is the case whether I pick one of the default ones, or one of the images I had added myself. I tried setting picture password, with an image I had added myself, and this does not work either. My guess is that the "photo picker" itself isn't working since that would be common to both of those functions.

As noted in another 10.3.3 thread, numerous apps are missing. Notably the file manager. I noticed that the smart tags app was missing, as I was meaning to use that now that I have some tags hehe.

The only other wierd thing I've noticed so far is trying to end a call. The other party wasn't answering so I hit the end-call button, as I didn't want to go to voicemail. But end call did not work, I couldn't disconnect, and ended up in voicemail. I could end the call at that point, but it seemed that it wasn't going to hang up while the other side was still ringing.

Again, not complaining, just making observations.

Cheers!
    06-01-16 03:14 PM
    Well it's a developers beta OS so it's not really fair to list what's missing / not working, since it's not ready nor intended for regular use.

So these are not complaints, just observations!

I can't set a wallpaper, it lets me try but doesn't actuall stick. This is the case whether I pick one of the default ones, or one of the images I had added myself. I tried setting picture password, with an image I had added myself, and this does not work either. My guess is that the "photo picker" itself isn't working since that would be common to both of those functions.

As noted in another 10.3.3 thread, numerous apps are missing. Notably the file manager. I noticed that the smart tags app was missing, as I was meaning to use that now that I have some tags hehe.

The only other wierd thing I've noticed so far is trying to end a call. The other party wasn't answering so I hit the end-call button, as I didn't want to go to voicemail. But end call did not work, I couldn't disconnect, and ended up in voicemail. I could end the call at that point, but it seemed that it wasn't going to hang up while the other side was still ringing.

Again, not complaining, just making observations.

Cheers!
    The look of the OS different...icons... menus etc? My last question lol.

06-01-16 11:38 PM
    Unfortunately no, it all looks pretty much the same to me.
    06-02-16 07:58 AM