I'm a developer of the National Rail Times BB10 application. When I run user statistics (to see what devices that users that purchased my application are on) I see far fewer *NEW* sales to users on Q5 devices. There was a largish spike after launch and pretty much then it's been quiet.

Currently for new sales, it's Z10 > Q10 >>> Q5. If this simple sample is a barometer for device sales I wonder how the Q5 is actually fairing in terms of sales.

I'm in the UK and I haven't seen an actual Q5 in the wild yet. Does anyone know how well (or otherwise) the Q5 is selling in your part of the world?

I understand that the opinions would largely be anecdotal, but I was just curious what the CrackBerry Nation thought?

National Rail Times App for BB10 (Native Q10 and Z10) - http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/20352963
    09-05-13 04:28 PM
    The Q5 is limited to select markets. It has an incredibly high price tag compared to it's competitors. Blackberry just put out a statement saying a sale of the company is possible. All news surrounding Blackberry at the moment is negative.

I can't imagine the Q5 doing well AT ALL, especially since it's the runt of the BB10 line up.
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    09-05-13 05:15 PM
    Well, looking at the posts that are on crackberry.com

It looks like there are around 20 000 for the Z10, 5000 for the Q10 and 200 for the q5...

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 03:01 AM
    In the UK the pricing is a little too much and there is significant competition around the 230 pound mark which is what you can buy a Q5 for SIM free. I chose the Z10 over the Q5 because they were priced the same and the Z10 seemed much better value. Had the Q5 been priced around 170 then the story would have been different. Unless there is a change in price to differentiate it from higher end BBs or to make it more competitive with WP or Android devices, the Q10 could become a forgotten phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 06:13 AM
    Anecdotal indeed - my wife just got one and loves it. She got it because she came to the end of her curve contract and wanted to stick with a keyboard. Barring a few posters for the Z10 on release, there has been zero front of store marketing for the Q10 of Q5. Literally, not one poster in a shop window anywhere and I pass about 15-20 stores on my way to and from work everyday.

I wonder if people are waiting to be out of contract before upgrading?

Like a tap dancing mouse on my Q10
    09-07-13 06:17 AM
    In the UK the pricing is a little too much and there is significant competition around the 230 pound mark which is what you can buy a Q5 for SIM free. I chose the Z10 over the Q5 because they were priced the same and the Z10 seemed much better value. Had the Q5 been priced around 170 then the story would have been different. Unless there is a change in price to differentiate it from higher end BBs or to make it more competitive with WP or Android devices, the Q10 could become a forgotten phone.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. Q5's pricing is such a joke. Its gonna compete with low end WPs and androids. WP is much harder to beat cause they offer buttery smooth software and good quality devices at such a cheap price. Hopefully BB learns this
    09-07-13 06:29 AM
    Agreed. Q5's pricing is such a joke. Its gonna compete with low end WPs and androids. WP is much harder to beat cause they offer buttery smooth software and good quality devices at such a cheap price. Hopefully BB learns this
    I would not describe Windows Phones as buttery smooth really. My Lumia 920 sits in a drawer since I got my Z10. The operating system is still quite buggy with very infrequent updates and mostly horrible battery life. The keyboard is better than the IPhone but not close to a BB10. Hardware wise, it's a great phone though.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 09:37 AM
    My daughter just bought one but the salesman said they sell more Z10s than anything. He also said most Q10 sales have been corporate.

Personally I think BlackBerry didn't need to bring the Q5 (at least not to canada).

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 10:07 AM
    I dropped a free flashlight app that's only available on the Q10 and Q5 (I know, another flashlight app? there are reasons). Anyway, the Q10 to Q5 download ratio is about 2 to 1.

Just another data point to the OP's question.
    09-07-13 10:28 AM
    I dropped a free flashlight app that's only available on the Q10 and Q5 (I know, another flashlight app? there are reasons). Anyway, the Q10 to Q5 download ratio is about 2 to 1.

Just another data point to the OP's question.
    Why limit yourself to just those two devices?

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 12:02 PM
    Just the way it worked out. I don't have a Z10 to test the placement of the UI controls. Maybe later for the Z30 since it is rumored to use an AMOLED screen.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 12:33 PM
    Around here, the Q5 simply can't compete. Unless you are *really* looking for a more affordable Q10 alternative, there are virtually no reasons why one should buy the Q5. The Z10 is cheaper, the Galaxy S3 is cheaper, so is the Lumia 920, 820, Samsung Ativ S just got cost-cuts so it's half the price of a Q5.

BlackBerry missed the target with their Q5 pricing. Cutting the cost by at least 30% would've helped IMO.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    09-07-13 02:01 PM
    Around here, the Q5 simply can't compete. Unless you are *really* looking for a more affordable Q10 alternative, there are virtually no reasons why one should buy the Q5. The Z10 is cheaper, the Galaxy S3 is cheaper, so is the Lumia 920, 820, Samsung Ativ S just got cost-cuts so it's half the price of a Q5.

BlackBerry missed the target with their Q5 pricing. Cutting the cost by at least 30% would've helped IMO.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    The Q5 is not really designed to go after the full screen crowd. The only real competition it has is the Q10 and it's much less money. People will choose it for qwerty and battery life above all else (it's pretty affordable anyway). The Z10 is the device to compete with the all touch screen market.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 03:32 PM
    I live in uae (Dubai) and the most selling phones here are the z10,q10, q5 they're selling really good here.. everybody here owns a BlackBerry specially the bb10 devices

Posted from my Z10 via CB10
    dusdal and xBURK like this.
    09-07-13 04:40 PM
    my wife just got a Q5 (they're actually priced reasonably well on Virgin Mobile -- can get one for only $50 on a two-year contract with a $45 plan, which is a better deal than I've gotten on a smartphone in Canada in half a decade), and she loves it. to me it's the Q10 that's not priced very well; regardless of the build quality, it's just really expensive, and on a contract it will force you to most carriers' higher-tier plans ($75 minimum/mo). granted, she was upgrading from a by-now ancient iPhone 3GS, mostly due to the physical keyboard and misgivings about Google and Apple currently, but she's really happy with the purchase. I have a similarly long-in-the-tooth Desire Z that's nearing the end of its 3-year Bell contract and am also in a position to be impressed by the speed of any dual-core phone, even if it's underpowered compared to the competition. that said, I admit that we don't have high expectations for dev support -- I'm eagerly awaiting 10.2 and was pleased at how easy it is to sideload apps with the Chrome extension.
    JTon likes this.
    09-09-13 03:28 PM
    I would not describe Windows Phones as buttery smooth really. My Lumia 920 sits in a drawer since I got my Z10. The operating system is still quite buggy with very infrequent updates and mostly horrible battery life. The keyboard is better than the IPhone but not close to a BB10. Hardware wise, it's a great phone though.

Posted via CB10
    I own a Nokia Lumia 620 and a Z10 and I would rate both on a par in terms of fluidity. Considering the Lumia is a lower spec device it does really well on much less resources than the Z10. Windows phones are actually very good and if it's a Nokia the application and update support is very good also. I still prefer the Z10 for its keyboard, hub management and better handling of multitasking and exiting applications. Oh and I hate the vibration you get each time you prefer the back key on WP phones! Unless the physical keyboard is a deal breaker, then if I were looking to buy a phone around the 229 pounds for the Q5 I would still be quite tempted by a cheaper or equivalently priced WP phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 06:19 PM
    Based on Google Trends, the demand for the Q5 is about 1/3 of the demand for the Z10. What is surprising to me is that in some developing countries, the Q5 has nonexistant search results. It seems to be more popular in Canada, UAE and UK... While non-existant in Latin America. A quick search shows that the Q5 is not even available in most of those countries. I really wonder what Blackberry's strategy is here. It's really confusing.
    09-10-13 09:50 AM
    In India if you need to buy qwerty phone, then it should be Q5( 24,000Rs) as compared to really costly Q10(44,000Rs). Yes Q5 is less in many things, but price vise, Q5 is more worth, it works amazingly well, nothing less than Z10 or Q10.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 11:21 AM
    In India if you need to buy qwerty phone, then it should be Q5( 24,000Rs) as compared to really costly Q10(44,000Rs). Yes Q5 is less in many things, but price vise, Q5 is more worth, it works amazingly well, nothing less than Z10 or Q10.

Posted via CB10
    Also with the price cuts at which the z10 is available now... I think the z10 has the ability to sell well in the Indian market where Samsung rules the roost and apple is trying to compete.
    The ones who own a BB10 device are extremely happy about their purchase, but the others around them are waiting for price cuts/ better offer from BlackBerry to switch.

Posted via the awesome z10 using CB10
    09-14-13 02:52 PM
    Also with the price cuts at which the z10 is available now... I think the z10 has the ability to sell well in the Indian market where Samsung rules the roost and apple is trying to compete.
    The ones who own a BB10 device are extremely happy about their purchase, but the others around them are waiting for price cuts/ better offer from BlackBerry to switch.

Posted via the awesome z10 using CB10
    By Christmas the BlackBerry Q5 pricing should decline further as it reaches the six months in the market milestone much as happened to the BlackBerry Z10.
    09-14-13 04:25 PM
    Was at a Walmart and the one guy there said that the Z sells well and the Q5 was 2nd. Mind you, on a two year contract, all these phones are good prices. I asked about the new iPhone and he said most people are getting tired of the yearly device thing.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 05:38 PM