After 4 month on the Z10 I was curious how the BB10 experience is on a Q device. I had a Bold 9790 before the Z, so I was looking forward to a keyboard again because I missed the keyboard shortcuts somehow and the more accurate typing experience on the go. The Q10 was too expensive for me and I don't like the oversaturated colors and lesser brightness of an OLED display so I jumped on the Q5 instead. I'm not lying here, I also fancied the red model too much that the slightly lower specs did not bother me.

So here are my impressions of the first week using the Q5 in comparison to the Z10:

DAY ONE

On day one it were mainly mixed feelings, I had. You feel really claustrophobic on the narrower display length first in some places like the hub, the browser or BBM Channels where you can hide the keyboard on the Z. I also had 7 panels in a row full of apps I transfered from the Z and during the transfer with BB Link my App Folders were deleted. So I had to rearrange everything first.
    The temperatures outside were very hot these days so the Q5 got really warm too using it a lot to set everything up again. The glossy back will make your hands sweat very fast when it's interiors have warmed up. So you have to dry your hands a few times. Battery guru stated temperatures up to 40 degrees.
    Then I started some BBM chats and in the first hours I missed some Z10 keyboard gestures like swiping to delete whole words or cycling through the different character panels. But on the go I really enjoyed typing on a hardware keyboard again. I felt more freedom while walking and typing and had not to concentrate too much to hit the right letters. I also the first time on a Curve style keyboard and I must say I really like the bigger spaces between each key. I make fewer mistakes than on the Bold 9790. Of course the Q5 keys are clicky and make more noise but somehow it doesn't bother me at all (maybe it would occasionally in a quiet surrounding with people all around). I compare it to an IBM Model M keyboard. It does make a hell of a noise but at the same time it is very satisfying typing on it.

DAY TWO

On day two, claustrophobia was mainly gone. I enjoyed taking 1:1 pics and never had to bother switching the orientation of the device like on the Z10. It feels more comfortable that you can always hold it the same way. And it's ideally for taking snaphots because you are ready to shoot in a few seconds. And you won't cover the lense accidently like on the Z10 where you have to hold it with both hands in landscape mode. You can read the LCD easily when you are outside in bright sunlight. A good thing.
    I noticed that the loudspeaker on the Q5 sound less thin than the one on the Z. Also the volume can be set higher. The microphones are equally good. The top one picks you up really smooth on the Q. It's really nice for recording and playing back voice notes. They sound so good. I wonder how it compares to the Q10 on that regard.

BUILD QUALITY

The build quality is more plasticky but it still feels robust. What I don't like is the wobbling piece of plastic that covers the SIM and SD card. It doesn't sit tight. Although it never opened accidently yet. Also the Standby button on my unit is hard to press. It does not stick out enough. What's your experience here? The Volume Up / Down and Mute buttons are fine. You can't navigate on the Q5 when you lay it down on the table because the back is too slippy. The Z10 back was perfect. So if you do that often, then you need a rubber case. I don't like cases. It destroys the design which in case of the Q5 isn't so bad as many are stating. And I don't find it looks like an older BB model either. Maybe most of the reviewers only had the black model which can't convince the same way the red, white and pink versions do with it's nice contrast between the black display frame and the colored body. It's a nice looking device overall.

GAMES

Well if they are not designed for the 1:1 ratio many 16:9 titles are mainly squashed to fill the whole screen which looks a bit strange, but I could accustom to it quickly. If you play Super Hexagon on it, you can use the buttons S and L to rotate the little triangle and that way I felt, I hold a little Game Boy in my hand. It's a nice experience and with the help of the precise buttons control you can be so much better in Games like Super Hexagon.

CONCLUSION

So, in the end I accustomed pretty quickly to the Q5 and I miss the Z10 not often. Although I was surprised how effortless typing on glass has got on the Z. But ultimately I don't carry around two devices, so I stick with the Q5 for now. I'm curious to see how I fare with it in the long term.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
    keypad, mkiiw, Bobert_123 and 10 others like this.
    07-28-13 09:58 AM
    After 4 month on the Z10 I was curious how the BB10 experience is on a Q device. I had a Bold 9790 before the Z, so I was looking forward to a keyboard again because I missed the keyboard shortcuts somehow and the more accurate typing experience on the go. The Q10 was too expensive for me and I don't like the oversaturated colors and lesser brightness of an OLED display so I jumped on the Q5 instead. I'm not lying here, I also fancied the red model too much that the slightly lower specs did not bother me.

Thanks for the detailed review! Glad you found a BlackBerry device that works well for you!
    I'm still debating on trying the Q10.......just for the keyboard alone.

So here are my impressions of the first week using the Q5 in comparison to the Z10:

DAY ONE

On day one it were mainly mixed feelings, I had. You feel really claustrophobic on the narrower display length first in some places like the hub, the browser or BBM Channels where you can hide the keyboard on the Z. I also had 7 panels in a row full of apps I transfered from the Z and during the transfer with BB Link my App Folders were deleted. So I had to rearrange everything first.
    The temperatures outside were very hot these days so the Q5 got really warm too using it a lot to set everything up again. The glossy back will make your hands sweat very fast when it's interiors have warmed up. So you have to dry your hands a few times. Battery guru stated temperatures up to 40 degrees.
    Then I started some BBM chats and in the first hours I missed some Z10 keyboard gestures like swiping to delete whole words or cycling through the different character panels. But on the go I really enjoyed typing on a hardware keyboard again. I felt more freedom while walking and typing and had not to concentrate too much to hit the right letters. I also the first time on a Curve style keyboard and I must say I really like the bigger spaces between each key. I make fewer mistakes than on the Bold 9790. Of course the Q5 keys are clicky and make more noise but somehow it doesn't bother me at all (maybe it would occasionally in a quiet surrounding with people all around). I compare it to an IBM Model M keyboard. It does make a hell of a noise but at the same time it is very satisfying typing on it.

DAY TWO

On day two, claustrophobia was mainly gone. I enjoyed taking 1:1 pics and never had to bother switching the orientation of the device like on the Z10. It feels more comfortable that you can always hold it the same way. And it's ideally for taking snaphots because you are ready to shoot in a few seconds. And you won't cover the lense accidently like on the Z10 where you have to hold it with both hands in landscape mode. You can read the LCD easily when you are outside in bright sunlight. A good thing.
    I noticed that the loudspeaker on the Q5 sound less thin than the one on the Z. Also the volume can be set higher. The microphones are equally good. The top one picks you up really smooth on the Q. It's really nice for recording and playing back voice notes. They sound so good. I wonder how it compares to the Q10 on that regard.

BUILD QUALITY

The build quality is more plasticky but it still feels robust. What I don't like is the wobbling piece of plastic that covers the SIM and SD card. It doesn't sit tight. Although it never opened accidently yet. Also the Standby button on my unit is hard to press. It does not stick out enough. What's your experience here? The Volume Up / Down and Mute buttons are fine. You can't navigate on the Q5 when you lay it down on the table because the back is too slippy. The Z10 back was perfect. So if you do that often, then you need a rubber case. I don't like cases. It destroys the design which in case of the Q5 isn't so bad as many are stating. And I don't find it looks like an older BB model either. Maybe most of the reviewers only had the black model which can't convince the same way the red, white and pink versions do with it's nice contrast between the black display frame and the colored body. It's a nice looking device overall.

GAMES

Well if they are not designed for the 1:1 ratio many 16:9 titles are mainly squashed to fill the whole screen which looks a bit strange, but I could accustom to it quickly. If you play Super Hexagon on it, you can use the buttons S and L to rotate the little triangle and that way I felt, I hold a little Game Boy in my hand. It's a nice experience and with the help of the precise buttons control you can be so much better in Games like Super Hexagon.

CONCLUSION

So, in the end I accustomed pretty quickly to the Q5 and I miss the Z10 not often. Although I was surprised how effortless typing on glass has got on the Z. But ultimately I don't carry around two devices, so I stick with the Q5 for now. I'm curious to see how I fare with it in the long term.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
    keypad likes this.
    07-28-13 10:03 AM
    Great review.

I had a chance to play with one last weekend, and well I just don't think I could give it up over my Q10.
    chinky.eyes likes this.
    07-28-13 10:04 AM
    Excellent review! I hope you'll update it after using it more.

--------------------

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook
    07-28-13 10:30 AM
    Awesome, I'd love to get my hands on a red or even pink one lol, but no one offers it here in the states...
    07-28-13 11:49 PM
    yeah I hate taking landscape photos on the Z, camera placement definitely sucks.. was thinking of trading the Z for one of these but I don't think I can give up the screen real estate as much as I hate typing on this thing sometimes
    07-29-13 06:35 PM
    I'd like to know your thoughts on battery life. Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-I717R using CB Forums mobile app
    08-01-13 11:23 AM
    Well, in my case, I've got three e-mail accounts, facebook and twitter connected, chatting about an hour, reading some news about an hour, shooting some pics here and there, I get through the day. But I thought it would be better than on the Z. I've set it on both devices on 3G only. Now I think in my case it's equal to the Z10. Sufficient enough most of the time but I would be more calm on stress days if I could just change the battery.

Posted via CB10
    laketrout73 likes this.
    08-01-13 04:12 PM
    you gave up a Z10 for a Q5 ?!
    you're really freaking mad, i like it.... LOL!
    08-03-13 05:59 AM
    You can call me that I guess. But both devices have their pros and cons. And my Z is in good hands too. I gave it to my girlfriend who was on a Bold 9700 before.

I really enjoy the clicky keys and the hot red looks so good. I like the color combo and simple design, I can't say this too often..

Next thing I will try is 10.2 on it.

Posted via CB10
    Morty2264 likes this.
    08-03-13 07:44 PM
    Great post MadMarti!

Don't think I'll be giving up either my Z10 or Q10 for a Q5, but I can appreciate the perspective here.
    08-04-13 01:20 AM
    You can call me that I guess. But both devices have their pros and cons. And my Z is in good hands too. I gave it to my girlfriend who was on a Bold 9700 before.

I really enjoy the clicky keys and the hot red looks so good. I like the color combo and simple design, I can't say this too often..

Posted via CB10
    to tell you the truth, I myself am contemplating getting a Q5 as well, to complement my existing Z10. personally I think blackberry is on a winner with Q5 if they handle it properly...
    Amey88 likes this.
    08-04-13 04:42 AM
    A great review! I loved reading a user review of both phones; and not just a theoretical one.

You know, if you don't like how cases affect the design of the phone, you could consider getting a red case for your Q5. It will be easier to hold, you can use it when it's lying on a table, and if you accidentally drop it, you have that added protection.
    08-04-13 06:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's AWESOME!
    08-04-13 06:28 PM
    On day two, claustrophobia was mainly gone. I enjoyed taking 1:1 pics and never had to bother switching the orientation of the device like on the Z10. It feels more comfortable that you can always hold it the same way. And it's ideally for taking snaphots because you are ready to shoot in a few seconds. And you won't cover the lense accidently like on the Z10 where you have to hold it with both hands in landscape mode.
    You know that you can take 4:3 and 16:9 photos right? It's accessible in the options. Also if you're taking 4:3/16:9 photos the orientation is still landscape when you're holding the phone in a portrait orientation, meaning that you don't have to rotate your phone (just like your old 9790). I recommend 4:3, because it's the only mode without cropping. In 1:1, parts or the left and right are cut off, and in 16:9, it's the top and bottom.
    08-04-13 11:30 PM
    Yeah, I'm aware of it and I'm using it. It's just that the 1:1 format is a welcome change from the usual 4:3 and 3:2 formats nowadays to me that I use it most at the moment. Also 1:1 looks so awesome on a 1:1 screen.
    Naturally..

Of course if I don't know which way to compose a photo then it's best to take a 4:3 photo first and keep the spare pixels for cropping it later.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 02:40 PM
    A great review! I loved reading a user review of both phones; and not just a theoretical one.

You know, if you don't like how cases affect the design of the phone, you could consider getting a red case for your Q5. It will be easier to hold, you can use it when it's lying on a table, and if you accidentally drop it, you have that added protection.
    Yeah, that's normally worth to consider but unfortunately I'm too picky on that matter. I have not come across a case I like yet.

But it's ok. Thanks for your tip nonetheless!

Posted via CB10
    Morty2264 likes this.
    08-05-13 02:46 PM
    Yeah, that's normally worth to consider but unfortunately I'm too picky on that matter. I have not come across a case I like yet.

But it's ok. Thanks for your tip nonetheless!

Posted via CB10
    Understood. It takes me a while to choose a case. I usually only make my choice based on the design (what it looks like, do I like the colour, etc.). I did have a red iSkin for my white 9780; and the dye rubbed off on the phone a bit over time, so my battery cover had a pink tinge to it, haha. But I bought an amazing hard plastic case from CrackBerry, so I'm now a bit less panicked if and when I drop it. I'm sure CrackBerry and other sites/stores will (eventually) have great options for your Q5. I understand what you mean, though: a case does change the weight, feel, and overall "experience" of your device. But I actually feel that if I don't have a case, my phone feels too light (probably because I've grown so accustomed to having a case on all the time in the first place).
    08-05-13 03:05 PM
    Thanks for the objective review of the Q5 compared with the Z10. I am thinking about buying a Q5 off-contract and keeping the Z10 as a backup smartphone. The decision to use low quality plastics especially with a slippery when sweaty back cover baffles me...the textured back cover of the BlackBerry Bold 9700 would have been ideal for the Q5.
    08-05-13 06:23 PM
    Thanks for the objective review of the Q5 compared with the Z10. I am thinking about buying a Q5 off-contract and keeping the Z10 as a backup smartphone. The decision to use low quality plastics especially with a slippery when sweaty back cover baffles me...the textured back cover of the BlackBerry Bold 9700 would have been ideal for the Q5.
    Well, the plastic used isn't really low quality. It does not stink and the paint job is nicely done. The plastic flap that covers the SIM and SD is hold by two flexible rubber hinges, so it should not break so fast. It just don't sit too tight but it hasn't opened accidentally still. So I guess, it is ok. It's also a good thing that you can change the SIM without having to power down or reboot. That's something where the Q5 wins over its big brother and the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Morty2264 and qwerty4ever like this.
    08-06-13 12:41 PM
    Well, the plastic used isn't really low quality. It does not stink and the paint job is nicely done. The plastic flap that covers the SIM and SD is hold by two flexible rubber hinges, so it should not break so fast. It just don't sit too tight but it hasn't opened accidentally still. So I guess, it is ok. It's also a good thing that you can change the SIM without having to power down or reboot. That's something where the Q5 wins over its big brother and the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Good to hear the plastics are not low quality and the protective cover for the microSD card and SIM card is attached with rubber rather than a delicate plastic hinge or worse nothing at all. Now off-contract pricing remains the only issue and until official pricing is announced by the wireless carriers in Canada I will remain seated on the fence. As much as I enjoy the large screen of the Z10 I miss the physical keyboard.
    08-07-13 07:01 PM
    After a good month now on the Q5 everything is still shiny on the material side. Except for one thing I realized today: Nooo! I have dust particles between the glass and the display... They are on the top left corner and above the keyboard where word suggestions are displayed. There I can see them clearly on the dark background. Damn! That's what you got when you don't use a holster when you put the device back in your pocket. I hope this is not a problem on the whole series..

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 10:06 AM
    As much as I enjoy the large screen of the Z10 I miss the physical keyboard.
    The physical keyboard remains king despite the exceptional usability of the virtual keyboard.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    08-28-13 01:46 PM
    If there's one thing that completely put me off the Q5 it was the much cheaper build, it just didn't feel like a BlackBerry to me. It doesn't have the heft and solidity of the Q10 and this was confirmed by various creaking noises that emanated from the chassis, the clicky chicklet keys didn't help much either. If BlackBerry could just tighten it up a bit it would certainly help matters. The Q5 is not a cheap phone, there's no reason for it to feel like one.

(I will say that I noticed very little performance differences between the 5 and the 10, it just needs more polish).
    08-28-13 02:11 PM
    Actually I'm quite impressed with how solid my red Q5 is. Clicking keys for sure but I kind of like that. Reminds me of an old IBM key board, very positive. Body is very solid and battery life so far is excellent. I wish it was a tad bigger for my too big hands but we can't have it all. Speaker is definitely better than the Z10 (pretty decent itself). This phone is miles ahead of the old Curve and really is a decent alternative to the Q10 for those looking for a different type of keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Nonocrack likes this.
    08-29-13 09:18 AM
58 123