So I'm a confused buyer swinging between the Q5 and Q10. I know about the spec differences but not about the keypad which is prominently different on both the devices so my simple question is that how is the user experience regarding the keypad on Q5. Being a 9900 user I've had a superb keypad experience and don't want to ruin it with a bad selection of device.

Your helpful review regarding the KEYPAD ONLY would be highly appreciated because I already know about other differences.

Thanks
    07-02-13 09:58 AM
    I had a Bold 9900, and using the keypad on the Q10 is an absolute dream.

I will be getting two Q5s for my family, and I am really looking forward to how they feel to type, but at the moment, the Q10 is my dream phone.

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    07-02-13 11:35 PM
    As per my feeling, Keypad for Q10 is more like the Bold series, e.g. 9900 and 9790

Keypad for Q5 is more like the curve series.

Posted via CB10 from Q5
    07-03-13 10:55 AM
    id definitely prefer the keyboard on the q10 because it looks somewhat like the bold keyboard although after the bold line has been abandoned i dont think there will ever be a physical keyboard that is anywhere near as good

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350 using Tapatalk
    07-03-13 11:25 AM
    Pick up a Curve and it will have a similar experience. More plastic, hard keys. One good thing about it though is that the Q5 keys are both sculpted and they have a lot of space between them.

I like Curve keyboards, but coming from a 9900 and now a Q10 I don't think I'd be able to bear it.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 11:37 AM
    As per my feeling, Keypad for Q10 is more like the Bold series, e.g. 9900 and 9790

Keypad for Q5 is more like the curve series.

Posted via CB10 from Q5
    This is spot on... Q10 does feel better in the hands

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 05:58 PM
    This is spot on... Q10 does feel better in the hands

Posted via CB10
    I have used a few bolds before, but I still quite like the curve keyboard (hard keys and separated keys), so I am happy with my Q5's keyboard

Posted via CB10 from Q5
    07-06-13 07:19 PM
    So I'm a confused buyer swinging between the Q5 and Q10. I know about the spec differences but not about the keypad which is prominently different on both the devices so my simple question is that how is the user experience regarding the keypad on Q5. Being a 9900 user I've had a superb keypad experience and don't want to ruin it with a bad selection of device.

Your helpful review regarding the KEYPAD ONLY would be highly appreciated because I already know about other differences.

Thanks

You already answered to yourself - as being Bold 9900 user, don't even THINK about Q5!!
    Your direction is Q10 ONLY.
    Q5 has standard Curve keyboards and could not be substitute for Q10 keyboard.
    Not to mention Q10 superior screen quality, comparing to Q5.
    I have both Q, so I am talking from real experience.
    dmlis and BullGuard8 like this.
    07-07-13 03:00 AM
    You already answered to yourself - as being Bold 9900 user, don't even THINK about Q5!!
    Your direction is Q10 ONLY.
    Q5 has standard Curve keyboards and could not be substitute for Q10 keyboard.
    Not to mention Q10 superior screen quality, comparing to Q5.
    I have both Q, so I am talking from real experience.
    There are Q5 users prefering the Q5 LCD screen for brightness and better visibility check the threads.Amoled sucks for me personally even if they put super on it.Go check threads of screen comparsions.Seriosuly me personally I have no interest in amoled BB phones.Blue tints always dark saturated colours no thanks.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 07-08-13 at 09:26 AM.
    07-07-13 10:22 AM
    Yeah, that's interesting. I found the Q10s screen way more "pixelated" in comparison to the Z10 LCD. So I would guess the Q5s LCD is more crisp and bright too. But when you don't compare both technologies side by side it won't take a long time until you adjust to it and feel comfortable.
    07-07-13 10:58 AM
    Q5 users prefering the Q5 LCD screen for brightness and better visibility.Amoled sucks for me personally even if they put super on it.Go check threads of screen comparsions.Seriosuly me personally i have no intrest in amoled BB phones. blue tints always dark saturated colours no thanks.

No need to read anything.
    I have tested Q10 (with screen brightness as set by default) on full sun light and was able to read everything without any problem.
    Don't have absolutely any complain on Q10 screen, while have on Q5 - specially white calendar.
    Black calendar have much better visibility.
    Everything is about personal taste.
    For me Q10 is better for business, specially regarding battery life.
    With average max 3h phone talks, a lot of mails, bbm, whatsapp and skype messages, I am charging it every second night.
    07-07-13 01:43 PM
    When I was at Blackberry Live 2013 in May, I found the Q5 keyboard lacking. Compared to the keyboard on something like the Curve 9320, the Q5 keyboard had shallower keypress and the keys (mounted as one unit inside) would shift laterally quite a bit. Of course, that could have been a pre-production unit.
    07-08-13 11:21 PM
    When I was at Blackberry Live 2013 in May, I found the Q5 keyboard lacking. Compared to the keyboard on something like the Curve 9320, the Q5 keyboard had shallower keypress and the keys (mounted as one unit inside) would shift laterally quite a bit. Of course, that could have been a pre-production unit.
    The shallowness you described is pretty substantial, judging by review photos. I had several devices which had non oem keyboards and some were shallow, giving off unsatisfactory clicks. But then the Q5 looks like a hybrid, curve style, but with bevels like the bold series.
    07-09-13 12:55 AM
    07-18-13 07:46 PM

Not bad
    Thanks
    07-20-13 10:52 AM
    I found Q5 keyboard much more easy than Q10; just been using it since yesterday evening. Excited though!

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 07:54 AM
    It's the space between the keys that has me interested. My huge thumbs had trouble with the q10 keyboard, even though the keys were bigger. I feel like just not touching ad much of the other keys would be great.

"In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas."
    07-25-13 09:49 PM
    I've had quite a few blackberries in the past, the 9000, 9700, 9780 and 9900, just got hold of a Q5 on a second line. I managed to pick one up on eBay for �200 ( new and unlocked) . I have no quarm's about the handset, the keyboard doesn't feel cheap, in fact I can hammer out long emails without it creaking and groaning, unless your going to get the Q10, I don't think you're going to find a better physical keyboard.
    08-15-13 09:39 AM