I want to purchase a Q5 but I am worried about its non-removable battery.

I have had such bad luck with blackberry batteries before, but at least I could change them.

I cant afford a q10 :-(
    09-03-13 09:54 AM
    what are your specific concerns? battery life and not being able to swap? It going bad? I have never had issues with my nexus 4 non removable battery and really never worried about running out before finding a charger.
    09-03-13 10:28 AM
    I find with time my blackberry battery often fails - drains too quickly, sudden complete drain etc

more specifically worried what happens if it goes bad,
    09-03-13 12:25 PM
    You can't really/shouldn't really compare the new BB10 phones with older BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 02:15 PM
    Early days but, I bought both my kids Q5's recently. Both of them have been hammering the device on BBM, Whats App and installing loads of Games. End of day one after a full charge, they still had between 20%-35% charge left. A few days later battery seems to be improving with one having approx 50% end of the day and the other 40%, can't say as I know what they were doing but at times it seemed they were worse than me with my BlackBerry abuse. Will see how it goes over the next couple of weeks. But overall it seems to be a winner so far, especially as the non removable battery was my concern. Oh and the Red is Awesome
    09-04-13 10:00 AM
    My wife's Q5, bought a week ago, has REALLY BAD BATTERY LIFE so far. Pretty light use and dead before supper.
    09-04-13 06:58 PM
    That sounds like a bad unit which is a shame for me the q5 is a monster in the battery department.

Posted via CB10
    Amey88 likes this.
    09-05-13 02:42 AM
    rim_investor you should try updating to the latest leaked firmware, my Q5 lasts from wake up to lay down and I'm a heavy user.
    09-05-13 06:35 PM
    Use q5 a lot including games on lte and battery always makes full day.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-13 10:15 PM
    Early days but, I bought both my kids Q5's recently. Both of them have been hammering the device on BBM, Whats App and installing loads of Games
    Poppycock good man. The 8 GB internal storage on the BlackBerry Q5 means "loads of games" is a fiction. I would believe you had you said a few games are installed on each of the children's BlackBerry Q5s but not "loads of games". < /hyperbole >
    09-07-13 04:49 AM
    My wife's Q5, bought a week ago, has REALLY BAD BATTERY LIFE so far. Pretty light use and dead before supper.
    Drain the battery and fully recharge while not in use. Repeat three to five times to calibrate the battery. If this fails, return the device for a replacement.
    Amey88 likes this.
    09-07-13 04:50 AM
    Poppycock good man. The 8 GB internal storage on the BlackBerry Q5 means "loads of games" is a fiction. I would believe you had you said a few games are installed on each of the children's BlackBerry Q5s but not "loads of games". < /hyperbole >
    Not poppycock my good man. They do have loads of games in their opinion and are quite happy, obviously your definition of loads is different. Besides, it all depends on how much each game takes in terms of storage space. I would certainly not say a "few" from my definition of the word. Lol

Posted from my Z10 with CB10
    09-08-13 01:51 AM
    The only issue I can see is not being able to pull the battery if the phone gets wet. I can not keep my Z10 turned off(it will very aggressively turn itself back on no matter how I shut it down unless the battery is out) and worry that a wet Q5 might turn itself back on before completely drying, and fry itself.

Obviously, not something that would come up often, but a concern I've had.

"In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas."
    VR6 likes this.
    09-08-13 02:46 PM
    You should probably complain about it, because Q5's battery life is amazing!

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 12:02 PM
    Not poppycock my good man. They do have loads of games in their opinion and are quite happy, obviously your definition of loads is different. Besides, it all depends on how much each game takes in terms of storage space. I would certainly not say a "few" from my definition of the word. Lol

Posted from my Z10 with CB10
    Point taken and accepted. All I know is my BlackBerry Z10 (16 GB internal system storage) is 50% full with approximately a half dozen games, mostly smallish in size, along with a few dozen general purpose applications. I'm not sure these applications would fit within the 8GB offered by the BlackBerry Q5 especially without impacting overall smartphone performance. Too bad games, in particular, cannot be installed onto the media card. Hopefully, your kids enjoy the Q5; it is a very nice smartphone although a bit overpriced considering their target market was supposedly places when BBOS 5/6/7 devices are still used daily.
    09-14-13 04:15 PM
    The only issue I can see is not being able to pull the battery if the phone gets wet. I can not keep my Z10 turned off(it will very aggressively turn itself back on no matter how I shut it down unless the battery is out) and worry that a wet Q5 might turn itself back on before completely drying, and fry itself.

Obviously, not something that would come up often, but a concern I've had.

"In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas."
    My BlackBerry Z10 overheated earlier this year after being in a protective case. The only way to shut down the smartphone was to pull the battery despite repeated attempts to get the power button to respond. If I had not been able to pull the battery the Z10 might very well have suffered catastrophic failure resulting in a melted slab of glass, plastic/rubber and metal. Apparently, my Z10 prefers to run through the streets sans clothes. Could the BlackBerry Z10 be an exhibitionist by design? LOL
    09-14-13 04:21 PM
    I've been using the Q5 for a week now. I must say the battery life is pretty good. I'm a fairly heavy user at times and have no complaints on the battery life.

The only complaint I have over the Q5 is the 8GB internal space. After using a Z10 and Q10, I've realised the amount of data I have is already over that of 8GB. Otherwise, the Q5 is a pretty solid BlackBerry 10 device.
    09-16-13 07:03 AM