I am using a Blackberry Q5 with BBOS 10.2.1.3442.
    I've been keeping a close watch on the dates and news of the official release of BBOS 10.3.1 which has been scheduled to be released in Feb 2015 (this month).

I've already seen lots of devices (not in India) but abroad getting the update.

Has it already been released and if so, who is in charge of distributing it in India, black-berry directly or via the service providers (vodafone in my case) ?

Earlier BB devices were available with a specific network provider (say airtel, vodafone etc) but now the devices are available separately and the service provider can be chosen later.

So any guess/information about when its coming to India and who will be distributing it ?
    02-08-15 10:06 AM
    Many people run leaks, so that's why you've seen it. Also, the Passport and Classic already shipped with 10.3.X.

BlackBerry has said 10.3.1 will start to roll out in February some time. It will still be subject to carrier approvals. So it could a matter of days, weeks, months, or never - depending on the carrier.

You can always load a leak or another carrier's OS if you get impatient.

BTW, "BBOS" refers to the old OS on the pre-BB10 phones.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    02-08-15 10:15 AM
    Please! Not another one of those: "when will 10.3.1 be released" or: "will I get an update if I am on a network that doesn't sell blackberry devices?"

Do a search in the forums, there are hundreds of threads already covering this topic. But in a nutshell:

-no the update has not landed yet - you will know ow when it lands officially cos bla1ze and Crackberry will confirm it.
    -even if your network doesn't sell blackberry's you will still get an update - worse comes to worse you can use blackberry link

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 10:16 AM
    Ah! Sorry, I wasn't aware of that.
    I'll update to BB 10.3.1 when I get it officially.
    As far as I've read, BB will ship 10.3.1 to all the devices which were launched earlier (Q5, Q10, Z10) and of-course the new-er ones.

To be specific, the OS is of Blackberry. How are the carriers involved in this. Like I am on vodafone, what are the difference that Vodafone OS have if compared to the other carriers ?
    02-08-15 10:18 AM
    Ah! Sorry, I wasn't aware of that.
    I'll update to BB 10.3.1 when I get it officially.
    As far as I've read, BB will ship 10.3.1 to all the devices which were launched earlier (Q5, Q10, Z10) and of-course the new-er ones.

To be specific, the OS is of Blackberry. How are the carriers involved in this. Like I am on vodafone, what are the difference that Vodafone OS have if compared to the other carriers ?
    BlackBerry puts the updates on its own servers, but your carrier allows its own customers access to those updates when it wants to.

Apart from carrier-specific bloatware, there is no difference in OS versions between carriers for the same device model.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    02-08-15 10:26 AM
    I see. So what I am reading is, the official release is going to happen on 19th of this month. Will every body who are supposed to get the update, get it on the very same day ?
    02-08-15 10:34 AM
    I see. So what I am reading is, the official release is going to happen on 19th of this month. Will every body who are supposed to get the update, get it on the very same day ?
    I already responded to this above. I'll type it again:

BlackBerry has said 10.3.1 will start to roll out in February some time. It will still be subject to carrier approvals. So it could a matter of days, weeks, months, or never - depending on the carrier.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    02-08-15 10:36 AM
    I already responded to this above. I'll type it again:

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    What I meant was, if BB is providing an update, how can a carrier chose to block a user from getting the update ?
    That shouldn't be withing the power of a carrier and should be dictated by BB itself?
    02-08-15 10:40 AM
    What I meant was, if BB is providing an update, how can a carrier chose to block a user from getting the update ?
    That shouldn't be withing the power of a carrier and should be dictated by BB itself?
    That's the arrangement between BlackBerry and the carriers. The carriers provide the support, so they have to approve the OS. This is no different from non-google Android devices.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    02-08-15 10:44 AM
    As for the how: once you use your device with your carrier's SIM card your device gets registered to their network. From then on, for updates, they act as sort of a door between your phone and the BlackBerry update servers.
    They can open the door whenever they want, but they usually do some tests first (even if they don't sell the device, they are still responsible for customer service on them, so testing makes sense).

This time, rumours have spread that BlackBerry will go around this "door" if the carriers do not allow the update to go out this month. I imagine this would mean updating through BlackBerry Link, that doesn't rely on your carrier's network. But I don't think they will, it's probably too much effort compared to just letting the carriers handle it.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    02-08-15 10:49 AM
    Take a look at the first part of this article:
    From the Editor's Desk: Classic, 10.3.1, CES, MWC and more! | CrackBerry.com
    Sometime this month we can expect the official roll-out to begin, based on current official info. (Although there are many unsubstantiated rumours floating about.) Some carriers will be quicker than others.
    Please discuss the latest rumour here: http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...rumour-995645/
    As we have too many threads discussing this already, thread closed.
    02-08-15 12:01 PM