Had a chance today to fool around with the Q. I thought that since all I ever used prior to the Z was with a physical keyboard that using the keyboard on the Q would be like the good old days.

All I can say is that I'm glad I bought the Z first. I found that I could type much faster on my Z than on the Q. Now I know after practice I would def speed up, but I'm convinced a Z user can perform far better and faster on the Z.

Posted via CB10
    tnewton3 likes this.
    05-24-13 01:39 PM
    The Z10 keyboard is a work of art for sure!!
    geekaren likes this.
    05-24-13 01:59 PM
    Had a chance today to fool around with the Q. I thought that since all I ever used prior to the Z was with a physical keyboard that using the keyboard on the Q would be like the good old days.

All I can say is that I'm glad I bought the Z first. I found that I could type much faster on my Z than on the Q. Now I know after practice I would def speed up, but I'm convinced a Z user can perform far better and faster on the Z.

Posted via CB10
    Good for you. *pats on back*
    Snazy and Jake Storm like this.
    05-24-13 02:02 PM
    I don't have a Q10, but I have a Curve I use for work and there is no way I can get anywhere near the speed I can type on my personal Z10. In fact using the Curve is positively painful when I need to reply to emails from work. What I have typed out here would take ages on it. Just wish my firm would get Z10's for work, but they are too stingy.

Posted via CB10 using my awesome BB Z10
    05-24-13 02:05 PM
    All I will say, is I'll take that z user typing faster than a Q user challenge especially if you have to do anything else but look at the screen.
    05-24-13 02:09 PM
    All I will say, is I'll take that z user typing faster than a Q user challenge especially if you have to do anything else but look at the screen.
    I would actually love to see a video challenge of this and also include other phones as well like an iPhone, Samsung, etc.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 02:35 PM
    I come from a Z to a Q and the first day or two I also felt like the Z functioned better, but after getting used to the Q I feel like they are on par - but after going to the Q, I no longer accidentally send my messages before I am done writing them, because I hit the send-button.

Posted via CB10
    MTL likes this.
    05-24-13 03:05 PM
    Does the virtual keyboard on the Z have shortcuts? I have not heard or seen anything on this. If not, no way it can be faster than the Q. Keyboard shortcuts are a big part of what makes the BB keyboards fly.

I come from a Z to a Q and the first day or two I also felt like the Z functioned better, but after getting used to the Q I feel like they are on par - but after going to the Q, I no longer accidentally send my messages before I am done writing them, because I hit the send-button.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 04:12 PM
    I had the Torch before. i was afraid of the Z at first.. but now ive gotten good at it. The keyboard on the Z10 is awesome. Love my Z10.
    05-24-13 04:18 PM
    I would actually love to see a video challenge of this and also include other phones as well like an iPhone, Samsung, etc.

Posted via CB10
    I wasn't gonna bring up the OS (but you can see it if you click my avatar in the pop out)... As I have said the reason I am here, let me see someone walk next to me with a Z (or other VKB) and my Pre3. Not to mention the other shortcuts you can use with a physical KB that you don't get with a VKB. I will honestly say the Z has me loving its VKB, best one I have ever touched, to be fair when composing anything I don't even like the VKB on my tablets, I would rather use a BT keyboard even for forum posting when it is possible.

To be clear the Z is amazing, I picked up a tethered demo model of the Z and had a better time typing on it than the iPhone that wasn't tethered, as did the wife. Just real life honest opinions. Don't blame anyone for loving the Z, but I know I can't use a VKB and multitask if I care about what is being sent. I am a touch typist, as it is autocorrect is becoming an annoying aspect of life, great for SMS if it's not professional, any other communication can make things confusing for sure.
    05-24-13 09:53 PM
    After much thought on this topic, I've realized that physical vs virtual keyboard isn't about speed.

We're talking about a couple extra seconds either way which isn't a significant amount of time either way.

The real difference is the typing experience. You have to dedicate so much mind power to typing in a touchscreen keyboard. You have to think about the next 'swipe up' word prediction, autocorrects, hitting the wrong character, and all this while looking at your phone screen.

That's what I find the real difference is.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 10:46 PM
    After much thought on this topic, I've realized that physical vs virtual keyboard isn't about speed.

We're talking about a couple extra seconds either way which isn't a significant amount of time either way.

The real difference is the typing experience. You have to dedicate so much mind power to typing in a touchscreen keyboard. You have to think about the next 'swipe up' word prediction, autocorrects, hitting the wrong character, and all this while looking at your phone screen.

That's what I find the real difference is.

Posted via CB10
    I completely agree. There might be a slight or no difference in speed, but typing on the Q is so much more comfortable. Typing long emails no longer feels such a chore.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 11:00 PM
    64wpm on my 9900, I thought that was an accomplishment. I am faster now on my z10.
    05-24-13 11:03 PM
    I've had my Z10 since late March, and have really not touched a qwerty keyboard since (I sold my two 9900s and 9810 right after I got my Z10).

I'm going to get the Q10 when it comes out in the U.S., and I'm curious as to how I'll get back to typing on a physical keyboard, since the Z10 has done a good job of making me forget about my 9900's perfect keyboard.

I got the Z10 because I wanted BlackBerry 10, but really, the Q10 is more suited for what I actually use my phone for (I'm not into phone games or watching movies or videos).

I hope the qwerty keyboard on the Q10 is everything I've heard it is.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 04:35 AM
    Had the honor to own both the Z and the Q

In my openion neither device is better nor can replace the other

Both of them are unique and fabulous

So lets put it that way

Its just preference matter once you get used to one you'll be as good as if you had the other one

Regards

Posted via CB10
    Snazy likes this.
    05-25-13 05:32 AM
    Looking forward to trying out the difference compared to my Z10.

The Q10 has just been released here in Italy through Vodafone, and is available through their website but none of their stores seem to have it in stock. Had to order mine specially from them, due to arrive in the next few days.......

(im)patiently waiting...

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 05:50 AM
    That would be nice to have competition videos between keyboards...my android buddy always beat me and my Z10 one handed with swype or whatever its called...maybe because its french or im loosy typer...

Things missing from Bold and torch was being able to type without looking, amazing feeling as pointed up here!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 07:40 AM
    I quite enjoyed the Z10, but I am so much happier typing on my Q10. I now use the Z10 on wifi at home as a 4th tablet.
    05-25-13 08:47 AM
    IMO...iPhone keyboard is faster and better than the Z10. never got used to the predictive typing and always hit enter or delete instead of space key when I was typing fast. Found myself typing a lot of errors all the time.

Q10 for me!

Posted via Q10!
    05-25-13 08:49 AM
    Each to their own as I have said all along. Having them both to mess with all the time has helped me decide which I prefer. Needless to say some days the Z doesn't even leave home.

Typing experience for me is still about physical buttons clicking under my thumbs. While the Z has one of the best, if not the best touchscreen keyboards on the market, the Q still wins my vote.

Posted from my Q10
    05-25-13 12:27 PM
    64wpm on my 9900, I thought that was an accomplishment. I am faster now on my z10.
    WPM only counts if you're not making errors. If autocorrect is employed while you are typing, you're not truly pulling that off, even if that's the final outcome.

64 WPM on a physical keyboard is attributed to the user. 64 WPM on a virtual keyboard is likely attributed to the autocorrect.

JB

Posted from my brain to your screen via CBQ10
    Snazy likes this.
    05-25-13 12:34 PM
    Well the other factor to mention is that my hand are big. Going back to the physical keyboard made me aware how when I used my curve over the years that I really trained myself to type using the corners of my fingers and nails.

After using the Z for a few months now, i now type using almost the full top of my finger. To try and take this same approach on the Q for me just doesn't work.

As I mentioned I would need to re train my fingers to a physical keyboard again. But to me the beauty of the Z is I just feel I can flow much faster.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 01:45 PM
    As noted above...twice.. typing is not the only speed factor on keyboards. Speed is about the whole phone experience. Keyboard short cuts speed up the entire process for me... a LOT. I don't really get why VKB's have not incorporated these into their OS's yet. Is it not possible?

Well the other factor to mention is that my hand are big. Going back to the physical keyboard made me aware how when I used my curve over the years that I really trained myself to type using the corners of my fingers and nails.

After using the Z for a few months now, i now type using almost the full top of my finger. To try and take this same approach on the Q for me just doesn't work.

As I mentioned I would need to re train my fingers to a physical keyboard again. But to me the beauty of the Z is I just feel I can flow much faster.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 02:12 PM