Hi,

I am really excited about BB10, currently balls deep in the stock and cant wait to see what happens at the launch!

My devices are currently Bold 9900 (love the keyboard) and Playbook. I have the Playbook on me almost most of the time, only rarely do I not have it, and i am usually around wi-fi networks that I can connect to.

My initial thoughts were that once BB10 is released for the Playbook, the playbook will essentially be a large z series, so...

My question is: If the Playbook is going to be a large z series, if you have a playbook, what is the point in getting a z series?

I know there is the issue of mobile connectivity, portability, but i will get all of that from the x series.

basically I am trying to justify getting the x series without regretting the decision and thinking i should have gone for z because of screen size. Thing is i know if i go for the z series i will regret not having the physical keyboard! Bit of a dilemma you see.

Help
    01-25-13 02:50 AM
    You gave this some serious thought, which helps me rationalize my N series purchase. I am in the same situation and agree with you.

I have an iPhone 4S now and would really like to get back to a keyboard phone. When I first started using this phone it seemed the keyboard was very accurate and the word prediction helped greatly. Siri was awesome (maybe I was one of the few). Fast forward to iOS 6 and now I am hunting for the physical keyboard.

Wonder exactly what, if anything, I will be missing out on by going to N series. I plan on getting a BB tablet if a new one is available.

Also I wonder if there will be any battery life advantages one has over the other. That will also play into my consideration. My iPhone 4S battery used to be good and now not so much. My 9700 battery was really good as I remember it.
    01-25-13 03:59 AM
    Yes i have, have had almost a year to think about it

The main thing that i am worried about is that the x10 will get shafted by devs as they dont want to develop applications for two screen sizes. (I dont know how much extra work this is, maybe a dev can comment).

I am sure that the z10 will have more games etc developed for it because of the screen. I dont really care about this, the apps I am concerned with are for productivity, to do lists, emails, some social messenging, and trading/stock apps.

I am sure there will be battery life advantages, as i know that screen size is an important factor, but i think they will probably also put a smaller battery in the x10??

If i know that the apps i am interested in will be developed for the x10 then i will feel much better about the decision. If i want to browse internet or play games or need screen real estate out comes the playbook.
    01-25-13 04:43 AM
    Hi there Komoto,
    basicly I have the same combo: A Bold 9900 and, since about five weeks, a Playbook. My Bold keeps being the primary communication tool: E-Mails, text messages as well as IM, Twitter and blogging. So virtually everything which requires fast, easy, on-the-go text input. My Playbook however is used for apps, document (PDF) viewing as well as web browsing.

I will surely get the X10 (while I might also try out the Z10 too!), because I still want that communication tool ready, especially in terms of hardware keyboard. I think the PB does still better than the Z10 in terms of multimedia, thanks to the larger screen.

As for the apps: There are no real details known about app availabilty and app development. I am pretty sure most "productive" will be released for both devices, however I think in terms of games X10 users will be in a disadvantage. However, thinking about it, the X10 ain't your typical entertainment device, so I could somehow understand that. Yet I guess gaming situation will still be better on the X10 as it is on the Bold 9900.
    As for the battery: There are some rumours about a ~2400mAH battery, however I guess it is much more likely the X10 will use the same or similar 1800mAH battery we'll see on the Z10. The X10 then has an advantage of having a smaller screen, which consumes less power while active compared to the Z10. Also the resolution is smaller (720x720 vs. 1280x768) which means not that much stress on the executing hardware.
    01-25-13 04:58 AM
    you make some very good points. especially about the playbook being a large z10.

i'm hoping bb10 for pb is out on the 30th so us pb owners can get a feel before making a decision.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-25-13 05:20 AM
    Yes i have, have had almost a year to think about it

The main thing that i am worried about is that the x10 will get shafted by devs as they dont want to develop applications for two screen sizes. (I dont know how much extra work this is, maybe a dev can comment).

I am sure that the z10 will have more games etc developed for it because of the screen. I dont really care about this, the apps I am concerned with are for productivity, to do lists, emails, some social messenging, and trading/stock apps.

I am sure there will be battery life advantages, as i know that screen size is an important factor, but i think they will probably also put a smaller battery in the x10??

If i know that the apps i am interested in will be developed for the x10 then i will feel much better about the decision. If i want to browse internet or play games or need screen real estate out comes the playbook.
    I use the same combo. I have a 9930 and a PlayBook. Personally, I think the biggest use out of the PB is the larger screen as a suppliment to the BlackBerry Smartphone. Most PB's are not connected outside of being Bridged and a Wi-Fi Connection. (Of course the obvious exception is the 4G PB) So in having a Z10 the screen size is a tab larger, but the PB could Bridge and get all the benefits of having both.

I'm sure that your mileage may vary. But I'm also pretty confident that keeping the PB around is a good move.

Hope that helps.
    01-25-13 01:18 PM
    Original post withdrawn. We should eventually see BB10 on the PB .

Don't you find it strange that there is little or no leaks as to the operation of the N model ? - even with few or no app's.

We have pictures but no stories . I think that RIM really wants the world to focus in on the Z10. I presume then that the X10 will be for those who are unwilling to or cannot adapt to the new virtual keyboard . We are a captive market.

The X10 will have a larger screen, faster browser, better battery , better camera, peek and flow, and a front facing camera as your inducement for upgrading.

But wouldn't you like a carrier/ BB program where by you could try out the Z10 for a week or so and if you do not like it, return it for a X10 ? The point is to encourage current users to upgrade sooner rather than later. RIM needs sales and with more sales you get more apps and then more sales.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-26-13 at 12:47 PM.
    01-25-13 04:31 PM
    Looks like it will be best for me to wait for both devices to be released and then to have a play with them both.

I think i have almost made my mind up based on information i have atm.

Get the n series, update Playbook to OS10 and then get the new tablet when that comes out.

As a note to RIMM if they read these things: can you please keep the 7 inch form factor for the tablets. I have tried using 10 inch tablets and i find them heavy and cumbersome. If i need a screen that large i will use a laptop. I think the screen size of the playbook as it is perfect.
    01-26-13 03:40 AM
    Komoto - I think that an 8 inch Tablet hits the " sweet spot " . For example Apple says that their iPad mini has 35 % more viewing area than a 7 inch Tablet and is 23% thiner and 53% lighter than their iPad. That is a good target. Now if RIM can add all the features that the Ipad mini lacks and has BB10 and a better resolution then I feel that this would be the world's best tablet.
    01-26-13 12:59 PM
    Komoto - I think that an 8 inch Tablet hits the " sweet spot " . For example Apple says that their iPad mini has 35 % more viewing area than a 7 inch Tablet and is 23% thiner and 53% lighter than their iPad. That is a good target. Now if RIM can add all the features that the Ipad mini lacks and has BB10 and a better resolution then I feel that this would be the world's best tablet.
    If RIM had made the bezels on the PB smaller we could have had a significant amount of screen space compared to the current model...
    01-26-13 01:13 PM
    If RIM had made the bezels on the PB smaller we could have had a significant amount of screen space compared to the current model...
    There would also be less room for people to hold onto it without getting their hands all over the screen and less room to do the gestures.
    01-26-13 02:22 PM
    The main limitation for me with a smaller tablet is that some stuff like pdfs are a little more awkward than needed, I'm not sure if an 8" model would be big enough to address that issue and maybe going up to the 8.9" of the kf hd 8.9 might be a better size to emulate.
    01-26-13 02:25 PM
    8.9 inches would be really good as well. Let's say somewhere between 8 - 9 inches. It seems as if RIM wants the same market as the Surface. The Surface is really big but well crafted. It seems like the Surface & Ipad are the top of the heap quality wise. I really like the Microsoft optional the cover/ keyboards. They make the PB keyboard look rather bush league. So a smaller Surface is a great model to emulate. What ever RIM puts out it shouldn't look and feel cheap. Give Apple credit here . Their stuff has a quality feel.
    01-26-13 07:12 PM
    Hi,

I am really excited about BB10, currently balls deep in the stock
    Thread ended there for me....
    01-26-13 08:16 PM
    why exactly?
    01-29-13 02:41 AM
    @Komoto I looked at my usage for my iPhone 5 and don't write even 10% of the texts, emails, status updates, etc. when I had a Bold 99** Series. In my opinion, the BlackBerry keyboard makes BlackBerry devices the best communication tools in the universe. This is why I am excited for the X10, but I cannot wait to use BB10 so I will pick up a Z10 the second I can on Verizon Wireless.
    01-29-13 03:52 AM