Given the differing screen sizes and the slab-vs-physical, will the Q10 run all of the same software that is now available for the z10 (without being wonky)

Thanks
    03-05-13 06:36 PM
    Most of them won't.
    The large majority of apps in BBWorld are Android ports which were never meant for the 1:1 screen of the Q10.
    Of the remaining apps, most will need UI modifications to properly work on the Q10.
    None of the existing apps will work on the Q10 unless their developers choose for them to.
    03-05-13 06:43 PM
    Thanks....
    ... and wow! that's disappointing.

I mean, I wouldn't expect capatibility with android, but the possibility of even fewer (native) apps than the z10 is a bit rough!
    03-05-13 06:46 PM
    Actually, many low end Android phones have 480x320 displays and apps intended for 800x480 displays seem to scale fairly well to that size.

There's no reason why we can't have the same on the Q10, stretched out as much as possible to fill the Q10 with black bars to preserve the aspect ratio. 720x720 is higher on both dimensions than 480x320 after all. And it's only a little less than 800x480 on one dimension.
    03-05-13 07:39 PM
    Actually, many low end Android phones have 480x320 displays and apps intended for 800x480 displays seem to scale fairly well to that size.

There's no reason why we can't have the same on the Q10, stretched out as much as possible to fill the Q10 with black bars to preserve the aspect ratio. 720x720 is higher on both dimensions than 480x320 after all. And it's only a little less than 800x480 on one dimension.
    1. Those 480x320 screens are still usually 3.5+ inches. The Q10 screen is just over 3.
    2. Your idea of scaling 480x320 up to 720x480 looks terrible on the Q10 screen.
    It's a 3:2 aspect ratio, that means 1/3 of the Q10 screen won't even be used.

will z10 apps all run on the Q10?-q10.png
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-05-13 08:04 PM
    Given the differing screen sizes and the slab-vs-physical, will the Q10 run all of the same software that is now available for the z10 (without being wonky)
    Most native apps which is not using specific screen size will work just fine,
    but of course developers will have to add screen-size specific pictures etc... (all landscape specific games etc.)
    03-05-13 08:05 PM
    Most native apps which is not using specific screen size will work just fine,
    but of course developers will have to add screen-size specific pictures etc... (all landscape specific games etc.)
    Cascades apps will require minimal changes if they're not too complicated. Same with BBUI.
    Others could need a lot more work.
    But none of them will work without developer intervention. They've still got to be submitted and approved.
    And they're not going to approve something if it's a UI mess.
    03-05-13 08:15 PM
    But none of them will work without developer intervention. They've still got to be submitted and approved.
    And they're not going to approve something if it's a UI mess.
    Not quite right...

All i had to do with many of my apps (cascades/qml), after I tested them in the Q10 simulator, was to add support to the already released file in BB World (all done from inside the vendor portal), - no need to re-submit - and no need to go through a whole new approval process.

On some apps I decided to do modifications specific for the 720x720 screen size, and those apps would require to be re-submitted and re-approved.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-05-13 08:30 PM
    Not quite right...

All i had to do with many of my apps (cascades/qml), after I tested them in the Q10 simulator, was to add support to the already released file in BB World (all done from inside the vendor portal), - no need to re-submit - and no need to go through a whole new approval process.

On some apps I decided to do modifications specific for the 720x720 screen size, and those apps would require to be re-submitted and re-approved.
    As far as I can tell, adding a new device opens a new support ticket, requiring the app to be reviewed again for the new device.

Edit: actually, I can't confirm that. I had to upload a new package, so that could be the reason for the ticket.

Either way, I haven't seen a single one of my apps that worked on the Q10 simulator without some sort of modification. They all loaded and displayed something, but there were a lot of graphical artifacts. Obviously the logic was all intact though.
    03-05-13 08:55 PM
    As far as I can tell, adding a new device opens a new support ticket, requiring the app to be reviewed again for the new device.

Edit: actually, I can't confirm that. I had to upload a new package, so that could be the reason for the ticket.
    Perhaps I was "lucky" :-) ... no ticket generated
    03-05-13 09:01 PM
    I hope so, but i don't think so.
    03-06-13 08:45 AM