I wanted to get one of the newer flash drives that have the usual USB plug on one end and a micro USB on the other. I already know that the rest of my family's cells (Priv, DTEK60 & Galaxy 8) will work with it just fine. It's just my BlackBerry I have to find out more about.

I wanted to be able to use it to quickly move large files like video between a laptop and the cellphones, and especially to be able to move pictures taken on the cell to the laptop or a 2 TB external drive. Last year my son's ***** girlfriend left his high end Nikon on a bench while she went to take a drink from a fountain or something similar. Of course when she turned around it was gone! Besides losing a $600 digital camera, the 128 GB SD card in it had all the pictures in it that were taken during a possibly once in a lifetime trip that went from London to several French cities, then the same in Italy and in Greece during his study abroad course working on an archaeological dig looking for proof of various things that I can't recall. So after all of that over six weeks they went back to a few cities before going into Germany and Austria.

I had advised him to remove the SD card every night to back them up on his laptop but of course he never got around to it...

So now that all of us primarily use a cellphone instead of a zoom camera I want an easy way to save things on future trips and to load movies for people to watch on boring flights. I'm thinking about how much of a pain in the butt it is to get the micro SDHC cards out of devices wearing tight fitting cases around them! <G>

So, does anyone have a definite answer to this question? Thanks in advance to all who read this and of course even more to whoever can tell me while Amazon Prime Day special deals are still available!

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    07-09-17 05:27 AM
    No. Only the Z30, Classic and Passport support USB OTG.

Via Pasta CB10
    07-09-17 06:21 AM
    No never
    07-09-17 11:10 PM
    So my only option is to pull it out of the Seido hybrid case and pull the MicroSDHC card? :-(

07-10-17 06:10 PM
    So my only option is to pull it out of the Seido hybrid case and pull the MicroSDHC card? :-(

Yes, since the first BlackBerry with OTG (Z30) came after the Q10.
    07-10-17 06:13 PM
    For the task the OP is referring to, it is not required to take the SD card from the phone. One could use a USB cable to connect the phone to the computer or even through wi-fi, if speed is not a concern.
    07-11-17 05:57 AM
    For the task the OP is referring to, it is not required to take the SD card from the phone. One could use a USB cable to connect the phone to the computer or even through wi-fi, if speed is not a concern.
    I think OP wants to get the stuff off the SD card and onto another piece of removable media, without having to cart around a laptop.

Maybe the better solution is to upload the whole lot into the cloud. Even old BB10 devices can do that

Posted via CB10
    07-11-17 05:08 PM
    Well, that would probably work if I had any kind of cloud service to send it to but on general principles I haven't ever had a desire to put anything "in the cloud" so I didn't want to start now. I had just hoped that now that I was seeing flash drives with the microUSB plug on them that there would be an easy way to carry big files like movies on the drive instead of clogging up on-board storage, and also so several people could share with each other without the long time to upload or download it.

07-13-17 07:27 PM
    Well, that would probably work if I had any kind of cloud service to send it to but on general principles I haven't ever had a desire to put anything "in the cloud" so I didn't want to start now. I had just hoped that now that I was seeing flash drives with the microUSB plug on them that there would be an easy way to carry big files like movies on the drive instead of clogging up on-board storage, and also so several people could share with each other without the long time to upload or download it.

Well I agree, I do not put my stuff in the cloud if possible, email excepted.

If the other devices support USB OTG then you could just use a big SD card in the Q10 and let it be an external USB drive for the other phones.
    (will need appropriate cable)
    07-14-17 05:23 PM
    Because the Q10 doesn't support OTG, a pocket size portable hard drive sounds like a good solution for the large video files and there are nylon shell cases for them for when you're traveling.
    07-16-17 11:55 AM
    Maybe I'm missing something, but if the Q10 can't communicate with a flash drive, how could it "see" and use files on a portable hard drive? Ignoring the higher cost and weight & the much larger volume a drive will take up in my bag, I've already learned the hard way that the drives are quite fragile! I was moving from one room to another, and the drive was plugged in to my laptop but wasn't being used for any specific things (I wasn't using any data from it while I walked) but when it slipped off and fell about 2 feet it "died" as far as usability. I plug it in and you see the light turn on but that's it. The drive never shows up on the file manager. I actually had just used it to store nearly 12GB of files that I'd like to be able to access. But because of the fact that I bought it 3 years ago but hadn't opened the package until that day WD said it's out of warranty so too bad.

So that's why I'm so interested in using some kind of flash drive that would plug into the microUSB port. I have dropped SD cards dozens of times with no negative results. As an aside, does anyone here have enough IT background to tell me whether there's a way that I could recover at least some of the data on the flash drive? Some kind of recovery tool maybe?

Anyway I digress. So IS there a way to recover the data myself? I have a bunch of personal data that I really don't want to tempt some tech to copy. Five years of state and Federal tax returns just the start. I doubt that anyone normally in this forum necessarily has the knowledge of how to do it but even if no one here works in IT, many people have hobbies or skills they use for side jobs. Either way, thanks!

07-17-17 12:12 PM