I wanted to get one of the newer flash drives that have the usual USB plug on one end and a micro USB on the other. I already know that the rest of my family's cells (Priv, DTEK60 & Galaxy 8) will work with it just fine. It's just my BlackBerry I have to find out more about.

I wanted to be able to use it to quickly move large files like video between a laptop and the cellphones, and especially to be able to move pictures taken on the cell to the laptop or a 2 TB external drive. Last year my son's ***** girlfriend left his high end Nikon on a bench while she went to take a drink from a fountain or something similar. Of course when she turned around it was gone! Besides losing a $600 digital camera, the 128 GB SD card in it had all the pictures in it that were taken during a possibly once in a lifetime trip that went from London to several French cities, then the same in Italy and in Greece during his study abroad course working on an archaeological dig looking for proof of various things that I can't recall. So after all of that over six weeks they went back to a few cities before going into Germany and Austria.

I had advised him to remove the SD card every night to back them up on his laptop but of course he never got around to it...

So now that all of us primarily use a cellphone instead of a zoom camera I want an easy way to save things on future trips and to load movies for people to watch on boring flights. I'm thinking about how much of a pain in the butt it is to get the micro SDHC cards out of devices wearing tight fitting cases around them! <G>

So, does anyone have a definite answer to this question? Thanks in advance to all who read this and of course even more to whoever can tell me while Amazon Prime Day special deals are still available!

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    07-09-17 06:27 AM
    No. Only the Z30, Classic and Passport support USB OTG.

Via Pasta CB10
    07-09-17 07:21 AM
    No never
    07-10-17 12:10 AM
    So my only option is to pull it out of the Seido hybrid case and pull the MicroSDHC card? :-(

07-10-17 07:10 PM
    So my only option is to pull it out of the Seido hybrid case and pull the MicroSDHC card? :-(

Yes, since the first BlackBerry with OTG (Z30) came after the Q10.
    07-10-17 07:13 PM
    For the task the OP is referring to, it is not required to take the SD card from the phone. One could use a USB cable to connect the phone to the computer or even through wi-fi, if speed is not a concern.
    07-11-17 06:57 AM
    For the task the OP is referring to, it is not required to take the SD card from the phone. One could use a USB cable to connect the phone to the computer or even through wi-fi, if speed is not a concern.
    I think OP wants to get the stuff off the SD card and onto another piece of removable media, without having to cart around a laptop.

Maybe the better solution is to upload the whole lot into the cloud. Even old BB10 devices can do that

Posted via CB10
    07-11-17 06:08 PM
    Well, that would probably work if I had any kind of cloud service to send it to but on general principles I haven't ever had a desire to put anything "in the cloud" so I didn't want to start now. I had just hoped that now that I was seeing flash drives with the microUSB plug on them that there would be an easy way to carry big files like movies on the drive instead of clogging up on-board storage, and also so several people could share with each other without the long time to upload or download it.

07-13-17 08:27 PM
    Well, that would probably work if I had any kind of cloud service to send it to but on general principles I haven't ever had a desire to put anything "in the cloud" so I didn't want to start now. I had just hoped that now that I was seeing flash drives with the microUSB plug on them that there would be an easy way to carry big files like movies on the drive instead of clogging up on-board storage, and also so several people could share with each other without the long time to upload or download it.

Well I agree, I do not put my stuff in the cloud if possible, email excepted.

If the other devices support USB OTG then you could just use a big SD card in the Q10 and let it be an external USB drive for the other phones.
    (will need appropriate cable)
    07-14-17 06:23 PM
    Because the Q10 doesn't support OTG, a pocket size portable hard drive sounds like a good solution for the large video files and there are nylon shell cases for them for when you're traveling.
    07-16-17 12:55 PM
    Maybe I'm missing something, but if the Q10 can't communicate with a flash drive, how could it "see" and use files on a portable hard drive? Ignoring the higher cost and weight & the much larger volume a drive will take up in my bag, I've already learned the hard way that the drives are quite fragile! I was moving from one room to another, and the drive was plugged in to my laptop but wasn't being used for any specific things (I wasn't using any data from it while I walked) but when it slipped off and fell about 2 feet it "died" as far as usability. I plug it in and you see the light turn on but that's it. The drive never shows up on the file manager. I actually had just used it to store nearly 12GB of files that I'd like to be able to access. But because of the fact that I bought it 3 years ago but hadn't opened the package until that day WD said it's out of warranty so too bad.

So that's why I'm so interested in using some kind of flash drive that would plug into the microUSB port. I have dropped SD cards dozens of times with no negative results. As an aside, does anyone here have enough IT background to tell me whether there's a way that I could recover at least some of the data on the flash drive? Some kind of recovery tool maybe?

Anyway I digress. So IS there a way to recover the data myself? I have a bunch of personal data that I really don't want to tempt some tech to copy. Five years of state and Federal tax returns just the start. I doubt that anyone normally in this forum necessarily has the knowledge of how to do it but even if no one here works in IT, many people have hobbies or skills they use for side jobs. Either way, thanks!

skrble likes this.
    07-17-17 01:12 PM
    I have a solution for you. You will use your household wi-fi to transfer the files. I need time to write it up in a way that works for you but I wanted to be sure you had not already found a solution, or changed your phone, or given up entirely.

Please respond to this post if you are still seeking a solution to the original problem.
    09-05-17 07:20 PM
    Hey, thanks for giving me a possible option! I'm still using the Q10, although I am starting to think about trying the Classic in the next 6 months or so. I saw one other mention of using WiFi or Bluetooth for moving files between the high speed microSD card in my Q10 and the laptop but that post seemed to be saying that it would be painfully slow? Of course, slow is still better than nothing at all! So I would appreciate your input!

As an added thought, does anyone happen to know if there's a way that I could rescue data trapped on the WD 2T portable HD? When I plug it into my pc the light on the drive turns on showing it has power but windows never says that a drive is available. I just figured I'd throw that out there on the slim hopes of someone seeing it that can offer me any chance at all...

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to offer me assistance!

09-24-17 05:11 PM
    I have a solution for you. You will use your household wi-fi to transfer the files. I need time to write it up in a way that works for you but I wanted to be sure you had not already found a solution, or changed your phone, or given up entirely.

Please respond to this post if you are still seeking a solution to the original problem.
    Hi again, I didn't want to bother you but after almost 3 weeks I haven't seen any instructions...

09-27-17 06:00 AM
    I transfer files back and forth between my Q10 and my laptop using my home Wi-Fi network and a couple of scripts (often called "batch files").

The "Connect BBQ10 SDCard.bat" file contains the following commands:
    net use W: \\[DeviceName]\removable_sdcard /USER:[DeviceName]\BlackBerry [Password]
    pause
    echo W: drive mapped to BBQ10 SD card

The "Connect BBQ10 Media.bat" file contains the following commands:
    net use W: \\[DeviceName]\removable_sdcard /USER:[DeviceName]\BlackBerry [Password]
    pause
    echo X: drive mapped to BBQ10 DEVICE

The first script connects me to my internal SD card (will be labeled "removable_sdcard") and the second to my Q10 device (labeled "media").

I can provide the actual scripts for you but they will need to be customized specific to your device. Alternatively, you may know someone who knows something about networking to help you locally. Honestly, I'm hoping that I can write this clearly enough for you to simply utilize these instructions. Let me know what you need.

The set-up is what takes a bit of time. Thereafter, it's a breeze. You only have to customize the scripts ONCE. Thereafter, you will use the instructions listed under "Procedure" and "Finish".

CUSTOMIZING THE SCRIPTS:
    1. Copy the batch files to your laptop
    2. Right-click on the file name and choose "Edit"
    3. Make the necessary changes and when finished, choose "File" and "Save". Place the files where you can easily access them on your computer.

The variables (or values that will be changed by you specific to your device) include the [DeviceName] and the [Password]. (Q10 calls this the "Storage Access Password"). These variables are placed within brackets: [ ] simply for identification. Eliminate the brackets when you put the values in.

To find the [DeviceName], go to "Settings" on your Q10 and choose "About". The "Device Name" that shows up there is specific to YOUR device. You may change it or leave it the same. (I have two Q10's and have used the preset Device Name on each.) You will need it to complete your script.

The [Password] will be whatever you chose and will later be entered in the "Storage Access Password" field on your Q10. Choose a password that you will remember. It will be reflected within your script and you will have to re-enter it each time you follow this procedure.
    09-28-17 09:31 AM
    PROCEDURE:.
    1. On the Q10, go to "Settings" and choose "Storage and Access". (Be sure your Wi-Fi is connected.)
    2. Move the slider for "Access using Wi-Fi" to "On". It will ask you for a "Storage Access Password". Use the password that you used in the script. It will ask for it twice. Click "OK" to close.
    3. Close "Settings" and get to your main screen.
    4. On the COMPUTER double-click on the script you want. A command window will open. Wait for the line in the 2nd paragraph which should read: "The command completed successfully".
    a. When it appears, click inside the command window and hit <Enter> on the keyboard. This will close the command window. You can repeat this step to open either or both locations at the same time.
    b. Any other message in the 2nd paragraph, means you missed a step - go back and review.
    5. Go to "My Computer" or "Computer" or "This PC" (depending on the version of Windows you're running), and you should see the additional drive. Double-clicking on the drive opens it. You may drag and drop files as needed to and from your laptop at that point.

FINISH:
    When you've finished dragging and dropping files (BTW: this creates a duplicate copy on the computer unless you specifically tell it to "cut and paste"), remember to close the opened drive and secure your BB.
    1. Right-click on "My Computer" or "Computer" or "This PC", and choose "Disconnect Network Drive". Click on the drive to be disconnected and choose "OK".
    2. Then return to the BB Q10 and go to "Settings". Choose "Storage and Access". Move the slider beside "Access Using Wi-Fi" to "Off". Exit "Settings".
    09-28-17 09:31 AM
    Recommended NEXT hard drive purchase:
    In 2013, I purchased a "Silicon Power 1TB Rugged Armor A30 Military Grade Shockproof USB 3.0 2.5 Inch Portable External Hard Drive for PC, Mac, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS4 Pro and PS4 Slim, Black" from Amazon - the drive is still going strong. The company makes several different models at really great prices... just another option.
    09-28-17 11:30 AM
    I wanted to get one of the newer flash drives that have the usual USB plug on one end and a micro USB on the other. I already know that the rest of my family's cells (Priv, DTEK60 & Galaxy 8) will work with it just fine. It's just my BlackBerry I have to find out more about.

I wanted to be able to use it to quickly move large files like video between a laptop and the cellphones, and especially to be able to move pictures taken on the cell to the laptop or a 2 TB external drive. Last year my son's ***** girlfriend left his high end Nikon on a bench while she went to take a drink from a fountain or something similar. Of course when she turned around it was gone! Besides losing a $600 digital camera, the 128 GB SD card in it had all the pictures in it that were taken during a possibly once in a lifetime trip that went from London to several French cities, then the same in Italy and in Greece during his study abroad course working on an archaeological dig looking for proof of various things that I can't recall. So after all of that over six weeks they went back to a few cities before going into Germany and Austria.

I had advised him to remove the SD card every night to back them up on his laptop but of course he never got around to it...

So now that all of us primarily use a cellphone instead of a zoom camera I want an easy way to save things on future trips and to load movies for people to watch on boring flights. I'm thinking about how much of a pain in the butt it is to get the micro SDHC cards out of devices wearing tight fitting cases around them! <G>

So, does anyone have a definite answer to this question? Thanks in advance to all who read this and of course even more to whoever can tell me while Amazon Prime Day special deals are still available!

A lot of comments here I dont feel like reading them. Your blackberry has a usb mode for the SD card. Another Blackberry can access that with a USB cable just like a PC. I bought one that looks normal but the PC end but opens up as mini USB or micro ( whatever the one that connects to the phone is named.) In the phones file manager it shows up as USB device with an image of an HDD. With a separate SD card if you format it with your Blackberry and place into an adapter that has multiple male connecters, the one to your phone will recognize it. Alternatively there are portable SD WiFi cloud devices. You use a browser to and go to its IP address.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-17 10:17 PM
    Leyra, that sounds like a plausible idea! I do know that in the past when I connected with my laptop via USB cable I was able to move things around pretty easily. I just need to look again at whether the new issue that cropped up killed that option. I am no longer able to charge my BlackBerry using the micro USB port any more. I've been swapping batteries between the portable charger I got for "emergencies" so I let my Q10 get down to between 20% & 50% full, then I turn off cell & plug in fresh battery. At least the 1st time it is much faster than waiting for the cell to charge while tethered to the wall!

As a side note, I think I remember someone saying that the classic would work with the flash drives without needing to do anything special beforehand. I'm going to read back in the thread but I have been considering the classic since I may not be able to fix my Q10. Does anyone know off hand if the classic will recognize it if I insert the microSD end of the flash drive?

10-16-17 10:25 PM