If the worst happens, and BB goes out of business or is sold for parts, will the email and internet (that are routed via BB) still work?
    10-01-13 07:59 AM
    It's only on bbos7 that emails are routed via BlackBerry

( 1 x shift ) !~ /^1?$|^(11+?)\1+$/
    10-01-13 09:00 AM
    But can you use the phone without BBID?

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 09:02 AM
    It's only on bbos7 that emails are routed via BlackBerry

( 1 x shift ) !~ /^1?$|^(11+?)\1+$/
    Are you sure?

My 9800 doesnt have 7, and is routed through canada.
    10-01-13 09:33 PM
    Yes he's sure, and yes he's right. But cuek80's question is a good one and still stands.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 11:22 PM
    So we suddenly have a real problem....
    10-02-13 09:38 PM
    But can you use the phone without BBID?

Posted via CB10
    I'd think that if BlackBerry were to disappear as a company, they'd have the decency to push out a final update that would allow you to use your phone without a BBID. As it stands, I don't think you can. You just have to make sure that you setup your phone before BlackBerry goes under! (not that I think it will).

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    10-02-13 09:57 PM
    I'm confused by your post. First you say right now you can't use a BlackBerry without a BBID (so you're hopeful they'll have the decency to send out one last update before going under - HA!), and then you say one should make sure they "set up" their phone before BlackBerry goes under, indicating if you set it up in time, you're good to go.

Just confused...

I don't think it's a huge concern, either way. BlackBerry isn't going to simply disappear. Someone is going to take over BlackBerry in some for or another, and I don't think the phones will just stop working.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 10:11 PM
    I'm confused by your post. First you say right now you can't use a BlackBerry without a BBID (so you're hopeful they'll have the decency to send out one last update before going under - HA!), and then you say one should make sure they "set up" their phone before BlackBerry goes under, indicating if you set it up in time, you're good to go.

Just confused...

I don't think it's a huge concern, either way. BlackBerry isn't going to simply disappear. Someone is going to take over BlackBerry in some for or another, and I don't think the phones will just stop working.

Posted via CB10
    I meant that the only time you ever have to login with your BBID is when you first setup the phone. I would presume that it would still work once it's setup.

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    10-02-13 10:23 PM
    Wonder if the carriers can continue the service somehow, guess it depends who buys BlackBerry or maybe just hope no one buys it. Good question but way over my head. One thing I am sure of is that $55 million will keep it running

Q10 10.2.0.1725 thanks BL Team
    10-02-13 10:28 PM
    Brings up a question - do you really NEED a BBID? I mean, if you didn't want BBM, could you set up all the email manually?

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 10:34 PM
    Brings up a question - do you really NEED a BBID? I mean, if you didn't want BBM, could you set up all the email manually?

Posted via CB10
    To get through setup when you first turn on your phone, yes, you need a BBID. Otherwise, I don't think it's totally necessary.

10-02-13 10:37 PM
    Aside from app world (and related apps) and bbm, you don't need BBID, though paid app probably need BBID to confirm your purchase if you restore data.

I do think we can bypass the setup by restoring backup files.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 03:24 AM
    The web browser can be used to check e-mail as well as using the internet too. So don't get all down and out because of all the negative press. Let's hope they go private so it all stops finally.

Blackberry isn't going away anytime soon.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-03-13 06:35 AM
    Web email is *not* a viable solution for a smartphone. Not even close.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    10-03-13 06:57 AM
    OH NO.....this is prob like if you own a domestic car.....when the CAW members go on strike....your nuts and bolts from your car could suddenly fall off as your driving right?
    They will literally stop.....thank god I don't own a domestic car then right?
    10-03-13 08:59 AM
    Jeez people... BlackBerry is not "going under"!

Posted via CB10 from my Q10 (SQN100-3)
    dollface likes this.
    10-03-13 09:11 AM
    LOL.. anything to discuss, even the impossible, jump along!!

Anyway, no notification with mail on browser, no good.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 09:22 AM
    LOL.. anything to discuss, even the impossible, jump along!!

Anyway, no notification with mail on browser, no good.

Posted via CB10
    Mail in browser is not even worth discussing as a viable alternative on a smartphone. Why on earth would someone own a smartphone that can't check email directly in the UI. The suggestion of that is preposterous.

Now, I don't think BB/BB support will go anyway, but this thread is an interesting discussion. Clearly if it DID go away, one's device might become a brick.
    andy957 likes this.
    10-03-13 10:34 AM
    OH NO.....this is prob like if you own a domestic car.....when the CAW members go on strike....your nuts and bolts from your car could suddenly fall off as your driving right?
    They will literally stop.....thank god I don't own a domestic car then right?
    What an ignorant comment.

You clearly don't understand the issue at hand.
    cuek80 and 93Aero like this.
    10-06-13 09:49 PM
    This bothers me.
    I cannot really live without a physical qwerty no matter how good touchscreens are.
    I wanna buck the trend and get myself a Q5 or Q10 instead of a touchscreen phone.
    My decision was a Q5 or Q10 when my Qwerty Android fails on me (which I anticipate very soon).
    With BB potentially going under, this is worrisome.
    For example, you don't get any updates on Whatsapp or Dropbox and eventually you may not be able use it.
    The maps and all...I wonder who will update them.
    10-15-13 09:22 PM
    I don't think blackberry is going to be going under. It's unknown until an official statement from blackberry is made. I honestly hope fairfax closes the deal and takes them private. We cannot lose all hope.
    10-15-13 10:23 PM