Hi all just wondering if Wifi/UMA calling will be supported on BB10?
    11-13-12 12:43 PM
    WiFi calling is a software implementation. It doesn't require anything extra hardware-wise, just consent of the carrier (in the form of an app that allows you to WFC.)

UMA is a whole different (and better!) beast. I really hope it does make it in BB10 devices.
    11-13-12 04:59 PM
    They announced bbm calling via wifi so does that count for what you want?
    11-14-12 02:49 AM
    ^X2 BBM wifi calling with text chat too. Pretty slick. Wish I knew people with BBs though. :/
    11-14-12 06:19 PM
    ^X2 BBM wifi calling with text chat too. Pretty slick. Wish I knew people with BBs though. :/
    They announced bbm calling via wifi so does that count for what you want?
    No that is not the same, that will limit me to BB users with the updated bbm version only. UMA is like VoIP calling, calls are dialed just as normal and can be made to any landline or mobile device, no software compatibility needed.

Edit: this is like Facetime...cant call my houseline or work or my friends home etc etc.
    Last edited by LuVJuGGs; 12-16-12 at 07:22 PM.
    11-16-12 08:19 PM
    i have a curve 9320 i already installed the bbm7 i'm over wi fi but i don't see the icon to do calls.
    can anybody help me?
    11-17-12 12:26 PM
    i have a curve 9320 i already installed the bbm7 i'm over wi fi but i don't see the icon to do calls.
    can anybody help me?
    You will only see the icon with your bbm contacts of yours who already have bbm7
    11-17-12 01:27 PM
    can anybody help me?
    this is not bbm7...its about UMA on the bb10 devices yet to be released...
    11-17-12 10:27 PM
    While I would like true UMA (i.e. not software enabled WiFi calling as seen on the 9900) to be included in BB10 devices, I wouldn't be overly surprised if RIM skips it. I don't know what the current number is, but last I checked, only 5-6 carriers worldwide supported this feature in either form, and at least my carrier (T-Mobile) doesn't advertise it like it should, imo.
    11-17-12 10:38 PM
    I don't need UMA on a daily basis, but I know the places I will need it. Now you can keep your old phone to UMA, but this will a pain. you will need to request service books each time you change phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    11-18-12 04:20 AM
    I would think that those doubting it will make it into bb10 are going to be right, while it is only a software feature it is one that isn't even important to those carriers that support it, so Rim are obviously going to prioritise things that are important to more carriers.
    11-18-12 04:58 AM
    Now you can keep your old phone to UMA, but this will a pain. you will need to request service books each time you change phones.
    Why would you need to request service books? Don't they automatically get pushed once your device registers on the network?

I would think that those doubting it will make it into bb10 are going to be right, while it is only a software feature it is one that isn't even important to those carriers that support it, so Rim are obviously going to prioritise things that are important to more carriers.
    WiFi calling is a software feature, UMA isn't. Here's the thing though: RIM hasn't completely abandoned the technology, even after carriers showed their indifference. The 9810 and the 9350/60/70 are UMA capable, and while the 9900 isn't, I think it still has WiFi calling.
    11-18-12 11:10 AM
    Hopefully it'll have it. I use WiFi calling on my T-Mobile phone when I go to Europe.
    11-19-12 08:57 PM
    Why would you need to request service books? Don't they automatically get pushed once your device registers on the network?

WiFi calling is a software feature, UMA isn't. Here's the thing though: RIM hasn't completely abandoned the technology, even after carriers showed their indifference. The 9810 and the 9350/60/70 are UMA capable, and while the 9900 isn't, I think it still has WiFi calling.
    None of the newer phones have UMA. That's why wifi calling was delayed when the last "new" line of phones was released. Wifi calling wasn't available at all for several months after the phones were released in an OS upgrade. I am on T-Mobile U.S. and have used it all over the world . Still works fine on my 9700 - but will have to get a new phone in the next few months.

The new BBM voice calling feature is restricted to calling the other BB users. Useless as far as I'm concerned.
    11-23-12 11:49 PM
    you guyz think skype would run on a bb10 ?
    11-25-12 01:14 PM
    you guyz think skype would run on a bb10 ?
    Who is your carrier? TMobile has provided UMA (and more recently plain wifi) calling on all BB for years. They also provide wifi calling on all Androids. My guess is that wifi calling (probably not the more solid UMA) will be available.
    Don't know about other carriers.
    11-25-12 05:47 PM
    They also provide wifi calling on all Androids.
    Not all. The Nexus 4 doesn't have UMA or wifi calling.
    11-25-12 05:58 PM
    Not all. The Nexus 4 doesn't have UMA or wifi calling.
    Hmm. U R rite! I would have thought a Google phone would have had wifi calling to make it even easier to use Google Voice.
    11-25-12 06:16 PM
    UMA is absolutely wonderful. I have no idea why it isn't more popular. I'd love to see it in the BB10 devices
    11-29-12 12:13 AM
    Still wondering if anyone knows whether wifi or uma will be on bb10?
    11-29-12 10:17 PM
    UMA is absolutely wonderful. I have no idea why it isn't more popular. I'd love to see it in the BB10 devices
    Two reasons - It's a carrier thing, not a phone things. And carriers want you to use minutes not wifi.

It's a great feature for users but not for carriers. It still uses their infrastructure but they don't get to bill you. A few carriers offered it because they felt it would bring in new customers but so few people knew what it was that it didn't make any difference. Once they started offering it they kept up with it, because there are enough customers who did join them specifically to use it that dropping it would be a major publicity hit, but it wasn't close enough to being a big deal to get it adopted by everyone. C'est la vie.
    11-30-12 10:15 AM
    Two reasons - It's a carrier thing, not a phone things. And carriers want you to use minutes not wifi.

It's a great feature for users but not for carriers. It still uses their infrastructure but they don't get to bill you. A few carriers offered it because they felt it would bring in new customers but so few people knew what it was that it didn't make any difference. Once they started offering it they kept up with it, because there are enough customers who did join them specifically to use it that dropping it would be a major publicity hit, but it wasn't close enough to being a big deal to get it adopted by everyone. C'est la vie.
    I can speak for my carrier (T-Mobile), and on a lot of their newer plans, they do deduct minutes for UMA calls. And on the qualifying plans that they don't deduct, you have to ask them to add the no-deduction feature (that is to say, it never came as an 'included')

I may be wrong about this, but way older plans on TMO even required a monthly paid add-on feature to use this feature.
    11-30-12 10:29 AM
    I can speak for my carrier (T-Mobile), and on a lot of their newer plans, they do deduct minutes for UMA calls. And on the qualifying plans that they don't deduct, you have to ask them to add the no-deduction feature (that is to say, it never came as an 'included')

I may be wrong about this, but way older plans on TMO even required a monthly paid add-on feature to use this feature.
    I never needed an add-on to use UMA on my old 8900 on T-Mo.

And hands-down, the biggest advantage of UMA over regular wifi-calling is handovers. On Wifi calling, if you pass the range of the wifi network, your call drops; on UMA, it would hand the call of to your network without interruption.
    11-30-12 01:43 PM

1. UMA use never required anything special be be added on to your plan w. T-M. If your phone supported UMA, it would work. It normally would deduct from your bucket of minutes. There were times, like now, where UMA minutes can be used "for free" on many plans. Of course if you have unlimited minutes like we have, it doesn't matter.
    2. I have used UMA since before TM released it. (I was a beta tester.) We have used UMA for "free" calling from Australia TO Zambia (about 15+ countries in all) with no problems. Some countries have wifi all over the place. Actually it didn't work too well in Zambia because of weak/slow wifi in the few places it existed. Worked fine in So. Africa and Senegal.

Have only used it a little, here, in the few places couldn't get cell signal - like part of son's home in Eugene, Or. The new BB phones have wifi calling - but not true UMA. Haven't used it. Wife's new Android has wifi calling - but it isn't as polished as UMA.

I would guess you could use something like Skype to place calls. Advantage of UMA is that calls are processed thru the carrier's system. Calls show up on your bill like all other calls (with code "U" after the listing on your bill.

...mike
    11-30-12 05:42 PM
    I had UMA mixed up with Hotspot@Home My bad.
    11-30-12 08:52 PM
34 12