Not sure if anyone else has a problem, or if I need to do something to my settings but my wifi keeps dropping. I don't have a mobile signal at home, so just use my wifi (satellite broadband as we don't have broadband either!).

It shows I have a full wifi signal but I can't load any pages, send emails or update FB. I then have to restart my phone, which sorts it.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Would be eternally grateful as it is starting to get annoying.

Helen

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 04:28 AM
    Go to settings/about/OS and post:

Software Release version
    OS Version

And do you happen to know if this is a 2.4Ghz WiFi signal or a 5Ghz WiFi signal?

I know of issues with 5Ghz WiFi that tend to impact various 10.1 OS versions.
    10-15-13 04:33 AM
    Thanks for the speedy reply.

OS is 10.1.0.4181

Not sure how it get the other thing? It's a Tooway satellite system, if that helps?

Helen

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 04:40 AM
    Thanks for the speedy reply.

OS is 10.1.0.4181

Not sure how it get the other thing? It's a Tooway satellite system, if that helps?
    I don't know about Tooway's WiFi hardware, but the most common form of WiFi works on 2.4ghz.

I assume that when you experience this problem it is only on the Blackberry and you can still use the WiFi internet on other devices in the house OK?

I also assume that the reason you have this satellite service is that you are in some sort of rural area, so the following may not be an issue, but WiFi can also be unreliable if there are many competing signals in a small area. When you look at your WiFi signal list in Network Connections, are there many other WiFi systems you see there with a strong signal, or just your own?
    10-15-13 01:10 PM
    Thanks. Everything else works, just my Q10. There isn't any other networks. I do live in a very rural area with no digital TV signal, no broadband (we are on track to get B4RN.org.uk though - yay!) and no mobile signal.

It isn't as though it does it regularly. I had problems this morning but haven't experienced a problem this afternoon/evening. I really appreciate you helping me.

Helen
    ?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 01:31 PM
    Thanks. Everything else works, just my Q10. There isn't any other networks. I do live in a very rural area with no digital TV signal, no broadband (we are on track to get B4RN.org.uk though - yay!) and no mobile signal.

It isn't as though it does it regularly. I had problems this morning but haven't experienced a problem this afternoon/evening. I really appreciate you helping me.
    Do you only notice this happening after the signal drops temporarily - ie you walk with the device to a far corner of the house where the WiFi signal is weak or nonexistent?

Do you ever notice it happening if the device has remained in continuous close proximity to the WiFi transmitter/router/hotspot?

I have seen issues, particularly with 5Ghz Wifi, when after the signal dropped, it would not re-connect.

Some of these things might be somewhat improved in later firmware versions than what you are running. (10.1.0.4181 is an official carrier release, and while your carrier may not offer anything newer you can often install a 'leaked' version of the OS that is more recent. My carrier's official release is OS version 10.1.0.2151, but I run 10.1.0.4828 on my main Blackberry, and 10.2 on my secondary Blackberry. )
    10-15-13 02:04 PM
    Quite often, I won't move and it drops, but, maybe my wifi signal itself is dropping and, as you say, it won't reconnect.

We do have very thick stone walls and do struggle to get a signal in other rooms.

I am a bit nervous of upgrading using leaked OS. Might just wait for the official release. I'm woth Orange btw.

Helen

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 02:27 PM
    I am a bit nervous of upgrading using leaked OS. Might just wait for the official release. I'm woth Orange btw.
    Recent 10.1 leaks are pretty stable, ie 10.1.0.4828 that I'm running. After all, 10.2 has now officially been released. (For now only on the new Z30, shortly for the rest of the BB10 models.)

Pretty foolproof if you make sure to make a couple of full backups before the update. There was a bug with SMS not being retained in some of the 10.1 maintenance releases but since you are already on .4181 that won't be an issue.

The only other thing that would give me pause if I were in your shoes is if you are using the "WiFi calling" feature that Orange UK offers, where you can make phone calls via your WiFi network without being connected to their wireless network. I'd imagine that would come in handy in your case without an Orange signal in your house, though the Satellite link might make using that for voice not very practical. WiFi calling is something that in my experience is often problematic if the user is not using the "official" carrier build of OS.
    10-15-13 10:33 PM
    As far as I know Orange doesn't have wifi calling for the Q10. I used to use it on my 9900 and it was fantastic. In fact, I nearly didn't upgrade.

Will have a look at the OS then and dip my toe into that!

Thanks again!

Helen

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 02:09 AM
    As far as I know Orange doesn't have wifi calling for the Q10. I used to use it on my 9900 and it was fantastic. In fact, I nearly didn't upgrade.

Will have a look at the OS then and dip my toe into that!

Thanks again!

Helen, if you decide you're going to consider installing a leak, please free to ping me and I will point you to some resources on that. If you notice from the banner under my username, I'm well-versed in that sort of thing.
    10-16-13 03:10 AM