Picked up my Q10 today, sales guy said I could make calls via wi-fi, thereby not using plan minutes. I now have the phone connected to the wi-fi but cannot see how to make/receive calls over wi-fi - rather than using the mobile connection. I am with Bell in Canada.
    05-28-13 09:28 PM
    You need an app for i think like Fongo, but i think it's not avaible on bb
    davidelsey0 likes this.
    05-28-13 09:34 PM
    Doesn't skype allow that? Never used it however I think you can sign up for three months free with your new BlackBerry 10 device info, I just haven't had time to explore it

Q10, 9900, 9780, 8330, 7520, 7510 And Playbook!
    davidelsey0 likes this.
    05-28-13 09:39 PM
    Did the salesman meant the Skype or BBM calls?

Posted from Q10 on CB10
    05-28-13 09:40 PM
    Yes, Sykpe or BBM can make calls using wifi.
    05-28-13 10:55 PM
    Yes, Sykpe or BBM can make calls using wifi.
    In BBM contacts that are on Wifi will have a green phone symbol in the top right of the screen. Tap that and a Wifi call will start.
    05-29-13 04:49 AM
    If or when Wifi calling comes to the Q10, it will be on Rogers only in Canada, as they are the UMA licensee in Canada.

Wifi calling also did not offer free calling, just the ability to use the Rogers network where you had wifi coverage but no cellular coverage. Depending on the plan it either used your minutes even on Wifi or was a flat rate. It was a good choice when travelling because you could buy a flat rate call home to Canada plan at a reasonable price.

Your saleman was probably referring to BBM calling.

Posted via CB10
    irweezyy likes this.
    05-29-13 07:13 AM
    Yes!!! 3 months of Skype Worldwide for free, that takes care of my call/text needs while in the UK next month - lovin' it, thanks for the tip!
    05-29-13 06:24 PM
    See above, I just got Skype on my Q10 and unlimited wordwide calling for 3 months and I am with Bell, not Rogers.

If or when Wifi calling comes to the Q10, it will be on Rogers only in Canada, as they are the UMA licensee in Canada.

Wifi calling also did not offer free calling, just the ability to use the Rogers network where you had wifi coverage but no cellular coverage. Depending on the plan it either used your minutes even on Wifi or was a flat rate. It was a good choice when travelling because you could buy a flat rate call home to Canada plan at a reasonable price.

Your saleman was probably referring to BBM calling.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 06:27 PM
    See above, I just got Skype on my Q10 and unlimited wordwide calling for 3 months and I am with Bell, not Rogers.
    Skype is not Wifi calling, it is Skype.

Posted via CB10
    irweezyy likes this.
    05-29-13 07:30 PM
    Skype is not Wifi calling, it is Skype.

Posted via CB10
    Skype allows you to make wifi calls to telephone numbers.
    05-29-13 07:48 PM
    Skype allows you to make wifi calls to telephone numbers.
    Yes, but it is not the Wifi or UMA calling that the older BlackBerry phones used.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 07:50 PM
    The wifi calling feature may come in future OS updates, just like the 9900. It did not have wifi calling at launch but it came with 7.1. This depends on carrier though, for not all networks support this feature. In the US, only TMO has this.
    05-29-13 09:05 PM
    It's amazing how people with no idea what wif-fi (UMA calling) means are posting incorrect information. For those who don't understand Wi-Fi calling, this is a special feature that is supported by T-Mobile in the USA (there may be other carriers outside of the US like Rogers in Canada that support this technology).

What wi-fi calling means is that you can use your existing phone number to make phone calls and instead of using your cell phone connection it uses wi-fi to complete your call, this is also the case for text messages. You do not need skype or any other app to do this. The big advantage of wi-fi calling is that people can reach you at your normal cell phone number and send text messages including picture messages. If you are travelling overseas this is fantastic since you can make calls using wi-fi calling instead of paying huge roaming charges or having to have a local SIM card. This is also referred to as UMA calling.
    Randypardue likes this.
    06-07-13 01:23 PM
    Srivegas is right on. TMobile is the only major carrier to have it (there are one or two regional carriers in the US that also provide it). I did see a while back that UMA would eventually come to the Blackberry 10 phones, but I haven't seen anything recently.

Some would argue that TMobile is the only one to have it because they need it due to an inferior network.
    06-07-13 01:29 PM
    I use comwave mobile

Posted via CB10
    06-07-13 03:57 PM
    Remember, only one carrier per country can have a UMA license so it's not like the other carriers are being slow or anything else... Not very well thought out at it's inception, one of those great ideas with poor execution things...
    06-07-13 04:24 PM
    This is also referred to as UMA calling.
    UMA is different in that it can hand off to a GSM tower. Wifi calling can't hand off to a tower. Also, UMA requires a chipset where wifi can be done in software. While functionally similar, the technologies are different and their terminology isn't interchangeable.

UMA is better overall but wifi calling (when done well) is a viable alternative. The 9900 had a solid wifi calling implementation but I tend to prefer UMA as found in the 9780 and older Curve models.

But, I digress. Carry on.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 10:06 AM
    Two questions (seriously):
    1. Can I send/receive text messages using Wi-fi calling?

2. Can I receive (not just initiate) phone calls using Wi-fi calling?

The reason I ask is because my Curve 8900 with UMA does both and I'm a little anxious to get the functionality for my Q10. However, I've read that wi-fi calling is an app and so I'm doubtful.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 05:03 AM
    I've had WiFi calling on Android phones with tmobile. You can receive calls and send texts with it turned on.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 07:07 AM
    Sweet! Receiving texts also works I am guessing?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 08:50 AM
    Yes, you receive texts as well. It works just like your phone does.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 08:58 AM
    Picked up my Q10 today, sales guy said I could make calls via wi-fi, thereby not using plan minutes. I now have the phone connected to the wi-fi but cannot see how to make/receive calls over wi-fi - rather than using the mobile connection. I am with Bell in Canada.
    I have been using BBM Video chat over wifit thru Telus for a while now. Before it connects, it reminds me to turn on wifi so I am sure that this feature is free for me. Once you are in BBM and click on a contact, there is a green rectangle at the top right, just click on it with your finger and you should auto connect in a few seconds as long as your contact answers. Great Feature....just make sure you are presentable
    06-23-13 02:14 PM
    I too am waiting very patiently for UMA to come to the new Blackberry 10 devices. Currently, I am using my 9780. Having UMA on this device has done me wonders since I have limited cell reception in my house. I'm in the last six months of my Fido contract and am able to upgrade to the Q10 whenever I want. I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I'm not sure if Fido will be supporting UMA sooner or later. It just seems like the carriers really didn't want to implement this feature until they heard the voices of the customers. Now, they may be scrambling to get it going. Thoughts?
    07-27-13 10:24 AM
    See if there is an update for the BBQ10, and you should see a new icon that says wifi-calling.
    11-28-13 11:19 AM
26 12