Bottom line: I just want my family photos/vids off this device but almost every path fails!

Here's the situation:

Mid September I left my phone on a charger for the day. When I came home, the device pretty much no longer works. It's pretty full - about 650 MB free. I've always been pretty happy with it, save its creeping obsolescence. Now I just want to get my personal photos/vids off of it before replacing it, although I'd be fine if we could fix the underlying problem.

Factors:
    -This is an enterprise device (work phone). Changes / app install options are limited, although BB World used to work.
    -It now runs hot and battery life is 1/3 or less of what it used to be.
    -Upon reboot, everything loads as per normal. Oddly, closed apps are open again. Deleted apps reappear.
    -Hub functions for a few minutes (approximately 4), then there is a silent cascade failure...
    ---First, I can compose email (after a lag). If I can type in the email address manually, it might send out normally. A reply might send if I'm really quick. By the time I can select an auto-fill contact, I know the email is going to fail. Address in, email typed, hit send, it appears to send normally... then it vanishes. Nothing in Hub, outbox, nothing in sent. Drafts don't save either (after the ~4 min window).
    ---Text messages may or may not arrive if sent to me outside the 4 minute post-reboot window. Texts won't send or save after the 4 minute window.
    ---BBM works for a while then just stops sending and receiving. Message appears to send, but is never received
    ---After a while I can still read messages, although they still appear as unread in Hub
    ---After a while, I am no longer able to open messages or compose. The screen dims slightly, then nothing happens.
    ---Phone can send a receive calls. It does not record incoming or outgoing calls at all, nor dialled numbers.
    ---Rebooting hub works during the 4 minute window (i.e. 4 swipes from top right corner). Once it fails, I get a black screen.
    -Otherwise the device seems normal. I can scroll between app pages, pull down to quick enable things like airplane mode, I can't see anything obvious in device manager settings (battery, CPU, Memory)

Apps
    -I delete apps and they reappear after restart - weird!
    -Internet app may work indefinitely, provided I don't switch apps.
    -Other apps work for a while, then crash. This includes 'File Manager'
    -Once apps are crashing, new apps won't start - first time they start loading, then crash within 1 second.

Blackberry Link/Mounting Device + Drives
    -Link works on my Win 7 computer. It does not work on my Win 10 64bit computer.
    -With Link, it starts to synch then stops. I've managed to 'download' using synch about 186 photos. At first it synced a few dozen before stopping. Now it might synch 1 file (or none) after a soft reboot before 'scanning' through the rest of the files (but downloading nothing to my computer)
    -Device Manager will detect the device, prompt me for my login, mount the drives and open Explorer (Z: and Y: respectively for the Onboard and Media Card storage). I can see the subfolders. If I click on a subfolder, Explorer freezes. Then I get a warning that the drives are disconnected.
    -I cannot do a backup - the connection times out or fails. And - my bad - I hadn't done one before.

I don't care about the data - I just want family pics and vids and I'm low on options. What has worked in a very limited way:
    -BB Link Synch (as above, but mostly useless now)
    -Gmail from Browser (can upload a max of 25MB of attachments, one file at a time)
    -BB Messenger (sends low res pic by default, requesting Hi Res has not worked).
    -(Box, Dropbox, Evernote are dead ends)
    -Can drop files to the Media Card, but it's encrypted by my employer enterprise permissions. Ergo, they are there, but not 'openable'

Obviously restoring the functionality of the Mounted Drive, Click and Drag option - which worked very well previously - would be the ideal solution.

Can anyone help? Thanks.
    Last edited by BlackStar67; 10-05-20 at 08:54 PM.
    10-05-20 01:03 PM
    I can suggest is to keep playing with it, get the photos one at a time. Pain, but price you pay for not having a backup in place.... especially on an Enterprise phone.

Might could try a non-destructive Autoloader, but with your issues it might make it worse. And probable not an option your Admin will even allow.

I'd take it it IT and seem if they can at least remove the UEM restrictions.
    10-07-20 07:52 AM
    Bottom line: I just want my family photos/vids off this device but almost every path fails!

Here's the situation:

Mid September I left my phone on a charger for the day. When I came home, the device pretty much no longer works. It's pretty full - about 650 MB free. I've always been pretty happy with it, save its creeping obsolescence. Now I just want to get my personal photos/vids off of it before replacing it, although I'd be fine if we could fix the underlying problem.

Factors:
    -This is an enterprise device (work phone). Changes / app install options are limited, although BB World used to work.
    -It now runs hot and battery life is 1/3 or less of what it used to be.
    -Upon reboot, everything loads as per normal. Oddly, closed apps are open again. Deleted apps reappear.
    -Hub functions for a few minutes (approximately 4), then there is a silent cascade failure...
    ---First, I can compose email (after a lag). If I can type in the email address manually, it might send out normally. A reply might send if I'm really quick. By the time I can select an auto-fill contact, I know the email is going to fail. Address in, email typed, hit send, it appears to send normally... then it vanishes. Nothing in Hub, outbox, nothing in sent. Drafts don't save either (after the ~4 min window).
    ---Text messages may or may not arrive if sent to me outside the 4 minute post-reboot window. Texts won't send or save after the 4 minute window.
    ---BBM works for a while then just stops sending and receiving. Message appears to send, but is never received
    ---After a while I can still read messages, although they still appear as unread in Hub
    ---After a while, I am no longer able to open messages or compose. The screen dims slightly, then nothing happens.
    ---Phone can send a receive calls. It does not record incoming or outgoing calls at all, nor dialled numbers.
    ---Rebooting hub works during the 4 minute window (i.e. 4 swipes from top right corner). Once it fails, I get a black screen.
    -Otherwise the device seems normal. I can scroll between app pages, pull down to quick enable things like airplane mode, I can't see anything obvious in device manager settings (battery, CPU, Memory)

Apps
    -I delete apps and they reappear after restart - weird!
    -Internet app may work indefinitely, provided I don't switch apps.
    -Other apps work for a while, then crash. This includes 'File Manager'
    -Once apps are crashing, new apps won't start - first time they start loading, then crash within 1 second.

Blackberry Link/Mounting Device + Drives
    -Link works on my Win 7 computer. It does not work on my Win 10 64bit computer.
    -With Link, it starts to synch then stops. I've managed to 'download' using synch about 186 photos. At first it synced a few dozen before stopping. Now it might synch 1 file (or none) after a soft reboot before 'scanning' through the rest of the files (but downloading nothing to my computer)
    -Device Manager will detect the device, prompt me for my login, mount the drives and open Explorer (Z: and Y: respectively for the Onboard and Media Card storage). I can see the subfolders. If I click on a subfolder, Explorer freezes. Then I get a warning that the drives are disconnected.
    -I cannot do a backup - the connection times out or fails. And - my bad - I hadn't done one before.

I don't care about the data - I just want family pics and vids and I'm low on options. What has worked in a very limited way:
    -BB Link Synch (as above, but mostly useless now)
    -Gmail from Browser (can upload a max of 25MB of attachments, one file at a time)
    -BB Messenger (sends low res pic by default, requesting Hi Res has not worked).
    -(Box, Dropbox, Evernote are dead ends)
    -Can drop files to the Media Card, but it's encrypted by my employer enterprise permissions. Ergo, they are there, but not 'openable'

Obviously restoring the functionality of the Mounted Drive, Click and Drag option - which worked very well previously - would be the ideal solution.

Can anyone help? Thanks.
    Can you not move all of your photos to an SD card?
    10-07-20 08:43 AM
    I can and have moved my files to an SD card - but it's encrypted, so I can't read them when I pop the card out or connect to it as a USB drive. While this has been an exercise in problem solving, that particular discovery was one of many, many frustrations.

I just don't understand what happened to the phone out of the blue. It's running hot - like there is a lot of activity going on - but the apps just don't run (for long)...
    10-07-20 02:31 PM