8700 oh god it makes back to the future look futuristic
    06-23-13 03:19 PM
    And by the way if u knew anything about bbry, you would realize that the z10 and q10 both have better keyboards then any previous blackberry by a long shot

Posted via CB10
    Keyboard is subjective to how people type. You can't say one is better than another because it's all about personal preference.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 03:27 PM
    OP its a pity you had those issues, coming from an 8700, you will find that the Q10 is amazing to say the least, best keyboard in the market today and all, that's also quite a huge change of environment, I'm not sure that device can even run BBOS7.

There's a new kind of trolling on CB these days, lets call it "REVERSE TROLLING". Someone posts about his experiences or feelings about a BBRY device, and then "SUPPOSED" CB or BBRY faithfuls stomp him down and get really nasty and horrible and make this once extremely enjoyable community less enjoyable. Yes people, they're amongst us!
    Legal Eagle and UnlimitedEra like this.
    06-23-13 04:02 PM
    Although I had high hopes after using a Blackberry 8700c with its fantastic keyboard for 6 years, I have found the BB-Q10 is not ready for prime time as far as I am concerned. I might try again in a few months. I spent several hours with Blackberry support (and one extremely knowledgeable support person that tried hard to resolve things as best he could).

1) The device would not connect to my in home WiFi network which is using WEP. I could connect it to a limited range WiFi network in my home using WPA2. Yet I have 6 other wireless devices (iPads, Samsung TV, Western Digital TV unit, Roku) that connected to the WEP network just fine. I did not wish to reprogram 6 other devices to be able to connect to the Q10 especially since there were other problems.

2) Blackberry Link 1.1.1.26 is unable to sync with Outlook contacts if you have too many contacts. I have over 2500. You receive a "Failed to commit changes to device" error. It appears that the update takes so long when you have a large number of contacts, that it times out. Blackberry Knowledge base KB34381 reports the issue several weeks ago and engineering is still working on an update t o BB-Link. I uploaded a 160Mb log file for tech support to examine and they verified all was working well but the software times out and aborts the entire update and nothing gets stored on the Q10. We did manage to get contacts in the device through some other means, but without BB-Link working right, updating contacts would be far too time consuming.

3) The first time BB-Link was connected to the Q10, it DOWNGRADED the software from release 10.1.0.2025 which was on the device, to 10.1.0.2006. Then each time you connect the Q10 to BB-Link it once again tells you to download a new software release, the same 10.1.0.2006. It does not recognize that it is already loaded into the device.

Unfortunately in an effort to keep the devices small, the keyboard of a Q10 can't stand up to the keyboard on the 8700. The 8700 keys were a bit larger and had a little space between them. I found the Q10 keyboard more difficult to use in its smaller form then the 8700. But it IS still better than the Z10, iPhone, or other virtual keyboards when it comes to a power Email user like myself who types small books on his Blackberry. So, after these initial problems are fixed, I will try the Q10 again. My days are limited and I will eventually be forced to switch as the 2G network the 8700 runs on is being phased out by ATT within the next two years. I have gone though no fewer than 15 BB8700's in the last 6 years (trackwheel faults, keys stop working, dust getting behind the glass of the display,...) but it has always been a great Email device and phone. So today, after packing up my Q10, I purchased 5 more BB8700's on eBay for $10 each and will hang in there for at least a year. Too bad. Such high hopes. I feel like I used rev 1.0 of a Microsoft product and we all know one should wait for 2.0 or the patches to 1.0 before using the software. The product is feature rich and looks nice, but Email and a good telephone service trumps apps and a camera for a heavy business user.

2500+ Outlook Contacts not ActiveSynced is playing with fire. I hope you have a couple of backups for that and your email data file.
    06-23-13 05:46 PM
    Although I had high hopes after using a Blackberry 8700c with its fantastic keyboard for 6 years, I have found the BB-Q10 is not ready for prime time as far as I am concerned. I might try again in a few months. I spent several hours with Blackberry support (and one extremely knowledgeable support person that tried hard to resolve things as best he could).

1) The device would not connect to my in home WiFi network which is using WEP. I could connect it to a limited range WiFi network in my home using WPA2. Yet I have 6 other wireless devices (iPads, Samsung TV, Western Digital TV unit, Roku) that connected to the WEP network just fine. I did not wish to reprogram 6 other devices to be able to connect to the Q10 especially since there were other problems.

2) Blackberry Link 1.1.1.26 is unable to sync with Outlook contacts if you have too many contacts. I have over 2500. You receive a "Failed to commit changes to device" error. It appears that the update takes so long when you have a large number of contacts, that it times out. Blackberry Knowledge base KB34381 reports the issue several weeks ago and engineering is still working on an update t o BB-Link. I uploaded a 160Mb log file for tech support to examine and they verified all was working well but the software times out and aborts the entire update and nothing gets stored on the Q10. We did manage to get contacts in the device through some other means, but without BB-Link working right, updating contacts would be far too time consuming.

3) The first time BB-Link was connected to the Q10, it DOWNGRADED the software from release 10.1.0.2025 which was on the device, to 10.1.0.2006. Then each time you connect the Q10 to BB-Link it once again tells you to download a new software release, the same 10.1.0.2006. It does not recognize that it is already loaded into the device.

Unfortunately in an effort to keep the devices small, the keyboard of a Q10 can't stand up to the keyboard on the 8700. The 8700 keys were a bit larger and had a little space between them. I found the Q10 keyboard more difficult to use in its smaller form then the 8700. But it IS still better than the Z10, iPhone, or other virtual keyboards when it comes to a power Email user like myself who types small books on his Blackberry. So, after these initial problems are fixed, I will try the Q10 again. My days are limited and I will eventually be forced to switch as the 2G network the 8700 runs on is being phased out by ATT within the next two years. I have gone though no fewer than 15 BB8700's in the last 6 years (trackwheel faults, keys stop working, dust getting behind the glass of the display,...) but it has always been a great Email device and phone. So today, after packing up my Q10, I purchased 5 more BB8700's on eBay for $10 each and will hang in there for at least a year. Too bad. Such high hopes. I feel like I used rev 1.0 of a Microsoft product and we all know one should wait for 2.0 or the patches to 1.0 before using the software. The product is feature rich and looks nice, but Email and a good telephone service trumps apps and a camera for a heavy business user.

When you are forced to switch with the phasing out of the 2G network, are you going to switch to a later generation BlackBerry that is compatible with the 3G network? I'm just really curious...
    raino likes this.
    06-23-13 06:31 PM
    We really need the mods to start cracking down on some of the really rude postings coming through the forums of late. Let's comport ourselves with a little more class and leave the name calling and insults to the primary school playground where they belong.
    Unfortunately blogs and sites like this are the new playground for the kids. Can't help kids whose parents use internet as the baby sitters.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-23-13 06:47 PM
    What's a parent? I was born on the internet..

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    06-23-13 07:56 PM
    1) where do you live? I want to come over and hack your WEP in seconds so I can hijack your internet connection forever! WEP isn't supported encryption type because its not safe nor secure. Any noob would know this!

2) Outlook contacts especially 2500 do tend to have foreign characters in them which causes them to not sync. This is problem since as far back as I know. I know stock market traders that have far more contacts than you and their Q10's work just fine, one of them I had export their contact list to a CVS and remove the foreign characters and reload it back into their mailbox before it would sync properly, like I said this is a nothing new and isn't related to the Q10.

3) Your device could have been a refurbished one with the incorrect OS version installed. As soon as it was connect the carriers OTA pushed the correct version down to it. Is that the Q10 or BlackBerry's fault? No.

Sooner or later the carriers will stop supporting the old school BlackBerry's and you'll be out of luck and back to square one, being forced to relearn a new device and it doesn't have to be a BB10 device either it could be Android, Windows, or Apple either way you'll be forced to change with the times.
    06-23-13 10:28 PM
    My guess, the folks that jump to immediately calling someone a troll, instead of offering a viable solution, have nothing valuable to offer!

As someone looking to upgrade their 9000, I find posts like this informative, but they quickly become un informative because of the fanboys. If some of you would just stop typing and allow problems like this to be correctly addressed and assisted, maybe you would win more folks over!
    This is completely off topic but I always wanted a 9000. I have had the 8330, 8530,9630, 9650, 9930, Q10. I would still totally buy a 9000 for the hell of it if I were with AT&T or T-Mobile.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 10:32 PM
    I did the same change and I have to say the upgrade to the q10 is day and night once you get past the learning curve. Only thing is I have a problem with text messages repopulating changing dates and it can be very annoying, so hopefully that gets fixed soon and it will be a perfect phone in my mind.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 02:47 AM
    When you are forced to switch with the phasing out of the 2G network, are you going to switch to a later generation BlackBerry that is compatible with the 3G network? I'm just really curious...
    He can then buy the 8707v that was the first 3G BlackBerry, or I can sell him mine
    Amy wineBerry likes this.
    06-24-13 04:22 AM
    Let's not forget that while the OP is stuck in his old ways, and I completely find myself in a similar situation , he is still making BlackBerry money trough the BIS service charges.

If anybody is using a Q10 in 6 years (or even 3 months) BlackBerry does not see a dime.
    06-24-13 04:26 AM
    Who uses wep in 2013??

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone using CB10
    06-24-13 04:34 AM
    Please, switch to WPA2 already.
    06-24-13 09:23 AM
    Impressive. You are truly loyal to your specific Blackberry. I had my 9650 for 5 years and it did everything I wanted it to. Perfect for email and text and even with all the new samsum, htc, nokia, iphone's out there; i didn't feel they fit my need like the 9650 did. I would have purchased the 9930/9900 Bold like some on here are saying because it is such a brilliant device.
    06-24-13 08:30 PM
    Impressive. You are truly loyal to your specific Blackberry. I had my 9650 for 5 years and it did everything I wanted it to. Perfect for email and text and even with all the new samsum, htc, nokia, iphone's out there; i didn't feel they fit my need like the 9650 did. I would have purchased the 9930/9900 Bold like some on here are saying because it is such a brilliant device.
    Wait...I thought the 9650 was released in summer of 2010. You sure you mean the 9650?
    06-24-13 09:02 PM
66 123