Hello:

I created a .doc file using the Docs to Go app on my Z10. Worked fine.

Was able to also access it via my Windows 7 laptop, update it, re-save it to the Z10, as recently as mid-January.

All good.

Now when I try to access it on the Z10, it says, "Cannot open the Document.", followed by "This file is not a valid .doc file."

However, in Docs to Go on the Z10, it IS showing as a .doc file. If I try to 'Select' it, it shows "SD Card/documents/" below the file name. Not exactly sure what that means (!), but I can access other files with those same attributes. Other files in that view show "Device/documents/" below the file name. I can access everything except this one file.

It also shows as a .doc file in Windows Explorer on my laptop.

When I try to open it with my LibreOffice word processor on my laptop I get 10,752 characters, all of which are the number sign (########## etc.)

If I try to access it with MicroSoft Word Viewer, I get a single vertical cursor, nothing else.

So it would appear that somewhere along the line this particular document has become corrupted. Anyone know if it is recoverable or if am I out of luck?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Jim
    02-14-15 01:56 PM
    When I try to open it with my LibreOffice word processor on my laptop I get 10,752 characters, all of which are the number sign (########## etc.)

If I try to access it with MicroSoft Word Viewer, I get a single vertical cursor, nothing else.

So it would appear that somewhere along the line this particular document has become corrupted. Anyone know if it is recoverable or if am I out of luck?
    You corrupted your file. It's no about the file type. Docs2Go is seeign a whatever.doc and when it tries to read it, it looks nothing like a doc and it tells you just that.

Opening a file in too many software can do this. You listed Dos2Go, MS Word (whatever version) and LibreOffice. MS Word alone (2003 to 207 to 2010 to 2013) can mess up a file beyond repair, let alone this combo...

What I'd do:

Send it to both Google Drive and OneDrive and open using their online editors and hope one can decifer the content of the file.

Best of luck!
    02-14-15 02:04 PM
    I ran in to this issue too. I downloaded OOReader from the amazon app store. It opened it up and I was able to view the document. Worth a try.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    02-14-15 03:30 PM