I have always been a bit confused as to where things are saved on the phone such as pictures. I remember on the old Blackberry phones that you could specify phone or media card. For the Q10:

1. Where are things like pictures saved by default?
    2. How do you switch it (if it is the phone and you want the media card or vice versa)?
    3. The USB mass storage option says it is for the media card. What if you want to plug your phone in and copy pictures off of it but they are on the phone? Does this have to be done with Link (I believe Blackberry Desktop software gave you access to both the media card and phone memory)?
    4. If you fill the phone memory, does it automatically switch to the media card on its own?
    06-13-13 01:54 PM
    1 - when you first open your camera, it will ask you if you want to save pictures on the media card (say Yes)

2 - When in the camera, swipe down from the top bezel. Settings / Save Pictures on Media Card

3 - You need Blackberry Device Manager (Part of Link). Device Manager will create drive mappings on your computer for the phone memory and media card so you can manipulate the files on there.

4 - It does not automatically switch over as far as I know..
    06-13-13 02:00 PM
    Thanks. What is the down side of just saving everything to the phone?
    06-13-13 02:07 PM
    I'd think that if you have some trouble with the phone, you'd lose your photos unless you were good at backing up to a computer. The card can usually be pulled out if there are phone issues.
    06-13-13 02:17 PM
    Good point. I just installed Link and now see the two drives in My Computer to access both the phone and media card. Awesome!
    06-13-13 02:25 PM
    Like F2 said, you are safer putting everything on the card. However I want to point out that if you continue to have Link up and running on your computer all the time, 10.1 comes with an option to synchronize OTA. By default, it is WiFi only, but you can change a settings to use the carrier network if you have a data plan that can cover it.
    06-13-13 02:27 PM
    Thanks for the info. I will probably just manually backup media. All my important stuff (contacts, emails) are synced via Exchange Activesync for both my accounts, so I can just set those up again and get all my info back if need be.
    06-13-13 03:00 PM
    By the way, what is the point of having a phone with 16 GB if it is suggested to store everything on the media card in case something happens? Do people really have that many apps to fill the phone memory!?
    06-24-13 12:09 PM
    By the way, what is the point of having a phone with 16 GB if it is suggested to store everything on the media card in case something happens? Do people really have that many apps to fill the phone memory!?
    In my case, I can easily re-download the apps if something happens to my device, however it isn't as easy to replace all the pictures and music I might have in my device memory if the device breaks. Also having a media cards makes switching those files from one device to another much easier.
    06-24-13 07:59 PM
    Some apps esp games are very large.. 1GB+, and do run out of room.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by drjames05; 06-24-13 at 09:55 PM.
    06-24-13 08:01 PM
    Thanks. I haven't downloaded many apps. I used to all the time with my past phones, but eventually one of them always screwed up the phone. I was constantly wiping them. However, OS10 should be far robust and aided by the way QNX actually operates. So I should go for it! Now if only we had Candy Crush so I could find out why my wife won't put down her S4.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 08:59 PM
    Some apps esp games are very large.. 1GB+, and do run out of room.

Posted via CB10
    So can apps be stored and run off the media card? I can't find the option for this in BB10.
    12-24-14 10:35 AM
    So can apps be stored and run off the media card? I can't find the option for this in BB10.
    Nope.
    VeryBumpy likes this.
    12-24-14 11:05 AM
    The swipe is inactive...... don't you know what to change / do to make it active and enable the swipe?
    02-23-16 06:11 AM
    2 - When in the camera, swipe down from the top bezel. Settings / Save Pictures on Media Card

the swipe is inactive. What to do to enable the swipe active?
    02-23-16 06:13 AM
    The swipe is inactive...... don't you know what to change / do to make it active and enable the swipe?
    "Swiping" from the top is available in any app. Either you do it wrong (start from the top outside the screen, then go to the center of it), either you enable the screen reader feature (just quickly press the power key 3 times to enable/disable it). Well, you can also have a faulty screen or a bad screen shield...
    02-24-16 12:47 AM
    1. If you save documents, downloads or anything of a personal nature to the SD, then you will have to concern yourself with media card encryption to try and prevent people being able to access that content if you lose your phone.

2. Additionally, if you have a run of the mill SD and shoot a lot of video in 60fps, you may have performance issues writing directly to the SD while filming.

3. If you use a massive SD card just for storing publicly released titles (i.e. Albums, Tracks, Films), then you don't have to concern yourself with either of the above points.

There's possibly a performance gain to be had by not indexing the contents of a media card at frequent intervals - speculative at this point.

For backing up, it's no hassle to periodically copy data to an SD and then remove that SD for further backup elsewhere.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 07:50 AM
    It's better to save everything on the memory card because saving it on the phone will cause it show down, eventually.
    02-24-16 04:34 PM