01-13-20 03:37 PM
    Nobody knows when it will close.
    01-13-20 03:59 PM
    Most likely when something breaks...
    01-13-20 04:01 PM
    Is it safe to back up all the apps?
    01-13-20 04:43 PM
    Is it safe to back up all the apps?
    Yes it's safe to back them up.... and you should.

Just with BB10 being EOL, no way to know if those backups will be accessible...

All data should be backed up in some non-BlackBerry format.
    01-13-20 05:00 PM
    Backups rely more on the BBID being available, and I suspect that will stick around longer than BBW will.

But, it's all speculation until BlackBerry tells us specifics and gives us actual dates.
    01-13-20 05:37 PM
    Backups rely more on the BBID being available, and I suspect that will stick around longer than BBW will.

But, it's all speculation until BlackBerry tells us specifics and gives us actual dates.

I was under the impression that firm EOL dates had been provided. Is this not the case?
    01-14-20 03:59 PM
    I was under the impression that firm EOL dates had been provided. Is this not the case?
    There was a firm date back when EOL was first announced near the end of 2017 - last day of 2019. But early last year, BlackBerry made a statement that much of the back-end services would remain running for an indeterminate period of time. That meant BBID and BIS were going to continue until otherwise notified.

While nothing specific was stated about BBW, word was apparently sent to several developers that the store would stay up, but in static mode. Developers couldn't update apps anymore, but we could still access it and download from it.

So, that firm date turned soft. There is no set extended date, but should something break, BlackBerry will only fix what they feel is important enough to bother with. They may jump on it... they may wait a week or a month... they may just let it go.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. It could come in 6 months. Or, could come in 2 years.
    01-14-20 04:22 PM
    There was a firm date back when EOL was first announced near the end of 2017 - last day of 2019. But early last year, BlackBerry made a statement that much of the back-end services would remain running for an indeterminate period of time. That meant BBID and BIS were going to continue until otherwise notified.

While nothing specific was stated about BBW, word was apparently sent to several developers that the store would stay up, but in static mode. Developers couldn't update apps anymore, but we could still access it and download from it.

So, that firm date turned soft. There is no set extended date, but should something break, BlackBerry will only fix what they feel is important enough to bother with. They may jump on it... they may wait a week or a month... they may just let it go.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. It could come in 6 months. Or, could come in 2 years.
    Thanks for the info, I guess I wasn't clear on it because THEY haven't been clear about it. Ha!

Where does Blackberry Mobile fit into the equation? I hear various things about them...
    01-14-20 06:22 PM
    Thanks for the info, I guess I wasn't clear on it because THEY haven't been clear about it. Ha!

Where does Blackberry Mobile fit into the equation? I hear various things about them...
    Same level of clarity at least officially
    01-14-20 06:43 PM

Someone else may jump in, but it seems BBMo is basically shut down. That was really just the BBAndroid device arm of TCL to make and sell the Key and Motion devices. That's it.

They are separate from BlackBerry Ltd, who runs the BB10 side of things and develops the software - Android OS and apps - for the BBMo devices. There is a division of work there.
    01-14-20 06:52 PM
    Someone else may jump in, but it seems BBMo is basically shut down. That was really just the BBAndroid device arm of TCL to make and sell the Key and Motion devices. That's it.

They are separate from BlackBerry Ltd, who runs the BB10 side of things and develops the software - Android OS and apps - for the BBMo devices. There is a division of work there.
    That was my understanding too, but then they did have a display at CES 2020 - so I wasn't sure. Who handles software development for BBMo? Is there a tie in with Blackberry at all in terms of the software?
    01-14-20 07:13 PM
    That was my understanding too, but then they did have a display at CES 2020 - so I wasn't sure. Who handles software development for BBMo? Is there a tie in with Blackberry at all in terms of the software?
    BB Limited does all the software basically. TCL is licensing BB Secure from BBL. Also BBL does all the hub+ and other BB apps
    01-14-20 07:18 PM
    BlackBerry Limited does the kernel stuff, and TCL and BlackBerry Limited share the rest of the OS.
    01-14-20 07:19 PM