hi , first of all i use Q10 running 10.1.0.2309
    i use the latest version of Whatsapp
    i sync my contact to iCloud
    and i link most of my contact with the build in facebook and twitter app
    the contact on the contacts app were fine, no duplicates, no error everything works well
    but in whatsapp
    some of my contact are shown without the names
    it only shows the status and the picture of the contact if available, but the name are blank.
    and when i press get info it shows blank name still
    this is very annoying
    it never happen on my previous blackberry, nor iphone or android phone that i used before

is there any solution to this problem ?
    is this problem is from the blackberry side or from whatsapp side ?
    07-28-13 04:45 AM
    I'm getting that too, thankfully, it's not someone that I talk to often

Don't worry, you're not alone

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 04:47 AM
    but its kind of irritating isnt it ?
    07-28-13 04:54 AM
    you need to go back to your contact edit the contact, delete a profil picture if there is many to have just one, if not just edit and save it, after it will be normal in the app
    it did happen to me p, and it is what i did
    i hope that it will help you
    presean likes this.
    07-28-13 04:59 AM
    Me too, same situation
    07-28-13 04:59 AM
    you need to go back to your contact edit the contact, delete a profil picture if there is many to have just one, if not just edit and save it, after it will be normal in the app
    Does't work for me
    07-28-13 05:02 AM
    Even if you refresh your contact list on WhatsApp ?!

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 05:09 AM
    Guys! I had that issue too and seemed to fix it. For me at least. This is how it worked.

The crappy thing is that in order to fix this bug you'll need to security wipe your device or upgrade it to the newest OS leak and set up your accounts from scratch.

So, after you updated your device or wiped it, FIRST OF ALL add your e-mail account (iCloud, Outlook, Gmail, etc.). It's VERY IMPORTANT NOT TO set up BBM before you sync all your contacts from the cloud!!! After all your contacts are synced you can set up BBM and add all other accounts such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

After that WhatsApp will catch all your contacts just fine. The culprit here seems to be BBM. You may notice that all of those pesky contacts without names in WhatsApp are your BBM friends. At least it's how it was for me.

Sorry, if it won't work for you.

P.S.: Also, editing those nameless contacts in your Address book (just slightly changing any info) might help to restore their names in WhatsApp, but as the experience proves the names will disappear again after the reboot. So, it's kinda temporary fix.
    07-28-13 05:16 AM
    i tried it on 1 of my contact and it work, i just edit and save it withou deleteing anything.
    thx
    but still this is not convince cause i got like 100 contacts without the names
    07-28-13 05:17 AM
    Guys! I had that issue too and seemed to fix it. For me at least. This is how it worked.

The crappy thing is that in order to fix this bug you'll need to security wipe your device or upgrade it to the newest OS leak and set up your accounts from scratch.

So, after you updated your device or wiped it, FIRST OF ALL add your e-mail account (iCloud, Outlook, Gmail, etc.). It's VERY IMPORTANT NOT TO set up BBM before you sync all your contacts from the cloud!!! After all your contacts are synced you can set up BBM and add all other accounts such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

After that WhatsApp will catch all your contacts just fine. The culprit here seems to be BBM. You may notice that all of those pesky contacts without names in WhatsApp are your BBM friends. At least it's how it was for me.

Sorry, if it won't work for you.

P.S.: Also, editing those nameless contacts in your Address book (just slightly changing any info) might help to restore their names in WhatsApp, but as the experience proves the names will disappear again after the reboot. So, it's kinda temporary fix.
    yeahh, i tried to reboot , and back to square one, all the contact names on whatsapp gone again
    i guess ishould just wait for official release of new OS
    07-28-13 06:03 AM
    Had this...ended up deleting my Yahoo account (with which I was synching my address book) and re-adding it afterwards. After waiting for contacts to sync with Yahoo...all is well in Whatsapp.

Nothing to do with Yahoo (could hv been Gmail contacts, cloud or whatever) ... I think the Q10 address book was corrupted

yeahh, i tried to reboot , and back to square one, all the contact names on whatsapp gone again
    i guess ishould just wait for official release of new OS
    07-28-13 10:02 AM
    i tried it on 1 of my contact and it work, i just edit and save it withou deleteing anything.
    thx
    This worked for me. Lucky for me I only have 6 people on my contact list with this issue...

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 09:36 PM
    Well, I had the same problem and I figured out the solution to MY problem was this: check the contacts in contacts app, go to options, add to SIM. Done.

It may or may not work for everyone, but it did for me.

Posted via CB10
    ilarche71 likes this.
    07-28-13 09:45 PM
    Try putting the Full Name in the "first name" field......I think that will work
    07-29-13 08:28 AM
    I usually add a "+1" in front of the phone number. Then refresh my contacts, and then refresh my favorites list and that'll do the job.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 09:19 AM
    Went in to contacts and open the one which are not showing the name in whatsapp and clicked edit and without editing anything just clicked save . Went back to whatsapp and that contact is showing the name again . The problem is some of my whatsapp contacts have no picture so I have no idea which contact to open to repeat the solution
    07-29-13 09:45 AM
    Just sideload whatsapp for android. It works swell!

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 09:55 AM
    Went in to contacts and open the one which are not showing the name in whatsapp and clicked edit and without editing anything just clicked save . Went back to whatsapp and that contact is showing the name again . The problem is some of my whatsapp contacts have no picture so I have no idea which contact to open to repeat the solution

after that try restarting your Q10
    and all back to zero
    07-29-13 09:58 AM
    Just a general comment on all of this...

BlackBerry 10 exposes a different view of your contact information to first-party apps (e.g. Contacts app) and 3rd-party apps (e.g. WhatsApp). The first-party apps see everything, while the third-party apps only see a subset. Specifically, most data from a "social" account is not visible to 3rd party apps. So if your contact names or photos come from "social" sources, WhatsApp cannot read them.

Any 3rd-party app that accesses your contact information will suffer from exactly the same problems.
    antikorr likes this.
    07-29-13 11:50 AM
    I am using the sideloaded one from android, and I do not have any more problems

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 12:53 PM
    Just a general comment on all of this...

BlackBerry 10 exposes a different view of your contact information to first-party apps (e.g. Contacts app) and 3rd-party apps (e.g. WhatsApp). The first-party apps see everything, while the third-party apps only see a subset. Specifically, most data from a "social" account is not visible to 3rd party apps. So if your contact names or photos come from "social" sources, WhatsApp cannot read them.

Any 3rd-party app that accesses your contact information will suffer from exactly the same problems.
    So, adding to SIM or local contacts is a good idea for WhatsApp to read from local source.

I think that's what worked for me when I selected add to SIM for the contacts which were not reflecting names.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 01:38 PM
    Hey,

Adding the full name in the first name field might collapse with ur contact if its linked with him on Facebook. You will end up reading his name like that in Whatsapp : "Firstname Lastname Lastname"

By the way i am facing same issue almost everytime i add a new contact. I usually make sure their info is well sorted out in the contact apps.
    But recently i am facing this issue with two recently added contacts. Everytime i go to their info, unlink then link again, etc. it works well. Then after reboot, back to square 1. These two contacts have the same problem.
    I lost hope.
    What fixed it for me for these 2 contacts is un-linking their facebook from the local contact. I will try another two troubleshooting options and get back to u.
    [*]Either change their name in Local contacts[/LIST]
    Last edited by jayjahed; 08-29-13 at 05:43 AM.
    08-29-13 05:26 AM
    thx
    Something that worked for me is to go into your settings for Whatsapp (I think this is annotated with a gear symbol), and allow access to your contact list, because I think by default, when you download the app, BlackBerry disallows access to both your contact list and your media folders.

Once you change your security settings to allow Whatsapp access to both your contacts and your media folders (like your picture folder) you should have your problem solved, along with the ability to send/receive pictures and videos and voicenotes via the app.

Give it a shot. You can always change your settings later.
    08-29-13 09:17 AM
    I have had this and still do on my Z10

For me, my Hotmail account was corrupt. Kept saying log-in error. Si J removed my email account from my phone.

However, this then proceeded to remove half my phone contacts and all those that it had removed, we're now also nameless in WhatsApp.

I found that if you go into the WhatsApp contact and look up contact details it was also blank. So I then messaged that person from WhatsApp and said "lost your number".

If you then go into the Hub, it then brings the number up of that person. Wait for the person to reply and then add the number to your phone book as it's written and the contact will restore.

I also found entering the number with international code helped.

Either way, what annoys me most is how removing an email account removed almost half my phone book. For others it simply lost their number.

I just don't get it. Can't wait until What's App us no more.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 05:23 PM
    I had two contacts with this issue, unlink the Gmail contact from Facebook the I let choose the Gmail contact as primary and then sync facebook contact. With the first it appear the name on whatsapp, and with the second still remain the name no problem and solve the name mystery

Posted via CB10
    09-02-13 07:32 PM
32 12