So when intelligent people sit together to make such an incredible device, like the Q10, what had happened in the board room to decide, that there will be NO docking station???????

Why?
    Mack Gans and decoy7 like this.
    10-25-13 02:28 AM
    Hi there! Welcome to Crackberry!!!

As they say, the devil is in the details. Sometimes those details are missed. Frankly I'm not really bothered by no docking on my Z.
    10-25-13 06:17 AM
    I dunno. The Q10 doesn't have a landscape mode, so maybe it just looked too dumb.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 06:29 AM
    I guess OP didn't search too hard. There is a docking/cradle for the Q10, it's just not made be BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 07:27 AM
    There are a couple of cradles out there, but none like the Seido cradle for the 9930. I loved that thing!!! Why BlackBerry didn't put some charging connections on the bottom of the Q10 like those on the 9930, that is my question.
    10-25-13 07:38 AM
    I think the Q10 was an after thought. A docking station like the great one for the 9900 pictured below would require charging connectors/sensors on the bottom. None of those here. There is an aftermarket docking station that uses the charging connector on the side. Only problem is that the device lies sideways, and the Q10 is a vertical device. Probably works fine for the Z10 (still not a tough connection), but makes no sense for the upright Q10. There is another aftermarket docking station that is vertical, but most people say it's hard to use and not worth it.

Another one of those very easy things that delivered a little moment of delight and made our lives easier: gone.

Bold 9900 Docking Station:

Whats the deal with the Q10 and no docking station?-docking.jpg
    jegs2 likes this.
    10-25-13 09:27 AM
    I guess OP didn't search too hard. There is a docking/cradle for the Q10, it's just not made be BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I guess you should stop trolling here.

Read again, you chump. I was asking for OEM hardware from BlackBerry!! So there is NO docking/pod from BB!!!

I have seen those crappy craptastic cradle, which looks fugly! So please.

My question was not if there are alternatives or crappy cradles. Just WHY BlackBerry skipped doing them. I enjoyed the pods for my Bold 9000 and 9900. They were perfectly and fit my desk.

Now my Q10 is lying on the desk. Nothing dramatic. But why bringing a pod/docking for the Z10 and not Q10. Just wondering!

Thanks for the welcome people. Except the ****-troll.
    jegs2 likes this.
    10-25-13 11:29 AM
    I can live without it, but I miss so much the 9900 dock
    10-25-13 11:51 AM
    I bet the Q10 would be out around now if they had included charging pins and a available dock.

Let's hope the new Q will have one available.

Posted via my CB Q10
    10-28-13 01:42 PM
    Fully agree with you "kimschmitz24" !

I too am quite frustrated with the lack of a genuine BB provision to just place the Q10 on a Cradle, next to my bad at night or on the desk at my office. Placing the Q10 on third party Cradles (sideways.....!!! - :-( ....) by carefully fitting the male Micro USB connector with the female on the Q10 every time we want to rest the Q10 is a BAD design. Dumb - if I may say.

I had several of these simple and inexpensive cradels for my BB 9630 Bold, and later on for my BB 9650 Bold. Placed these permanently around the house and in my office and didn't have to worry about the micro USB connector and the charging wire falling out of sight.... Life was good....
    Whats the deal with the Q10 and no docking station?-ceadle-bold.jpg

Having said that, my BB 9650 eventually failed to charge from the side micro-USB connector. That most likely happened by moving the BB around in my car when the charger was connected to it... :-(

Examining the rear cover of my new Q10 (which I have been trying to get used to...), I don't really see a way that an upgrade by BB or by any third party for that matter, could resolve the issue as there are no suitable and available electrical connectors which could route the charging current into the Q10 internal charging circuit. The 2 available contacts are used by the NFC antenna (which I don't think is that useful at all!).

There are 3 copper - dot points (these look to me like some test points...!?) just to the right of the SIM card. These are indeed exposed, but (a) I am not sure what these are for (b) these dots are flat and would need to come in contact with some "spring pins" on any back cover to allow reliable electrical contact to be made.
    Whats the deal with the Q10 and no docking station?-q10-rear.jpg

I assume that the guys at BB couldn't easily fit an interconnection for Battery charging through the Back Cover (in a similar way to that which has been done in the BOLDs. But that was their problem to solve. And solve - they didn't.

The plugging and unplugging of the charger to the Micro USB port is a bad design and I have no doubt will cause mechanical/electrical problems after a few month of usage. That applies to all the third party offered Cradles as well.

I for one, expected the engineers at RIM to be more intelligent in the basic ergonomics of the design of this NEW Q10.... On this matter - they deserve to get an "F" from us.
    Last edited by anibb; 11-01-13 at 03:41 PM.
    PJD642, dmlis and jegs2 like this.
    11-01-13 03:29 PM
    I'm using one of the side-mounting Q10 cradles (like this) as a stop-gap measure so I can charge at night and have a clock I can see, but agree completely with the OP. The 99xx series and plenty before it had charging points on the bottom rear, and those nifty little cradles you could just plunk the phone down in were great. Not to mention if you got a call you could just grab the phone and start talking, rather than trying to get it out of the cradle and off the USB port first...kinda tough at 0330.

Modding a Q10 back cover to add charging points wouldn't be too hard - just some ribbon cable glued to the inside, with a tab that went between the battery and the pins on the phone. A cradle that fits and voila! I'd pay $30-40 for something like that.

Too bad BB didn't include all the nice little touches we had in the 9900 series - like the phone automatically going into bedside mode if placed on a charger between specific times, the ability to create and modify your own sound profiles, etc. Not to mention speed dialing from the kb while in home screen.... Maybe in 10.3?
    11-01-13 04:03 PM
    I got one of the cheap ones from China and it works pretty well. I like the 9900 ones too, but I had a harder time setting it in the cradle than the horizon one. My Bold hit the ground several times because the shallowness of it.

The Q10 one I have now is easy to dock, even in the dark...which is my situation.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 04:38 PM
    Agree with your observations except the one about the ribbon cable...
    This is not as easy as you describe. For several reasons:

1. The charging current applied to the "side" Micro-USB connector is very likely routed through a voltage regulator circuitry inside the Q10. If you insert the ribbon cable directly from a charger to the battery, you might damage the battery.

2. The suggested solution is prone to be damaged by opening and closing the back cover, as we do need to do from time to time when entire RESET is required.

The proper configuration change has to be provided by BlackBerry. They failed to do that, and seem to ignore that issue.

Your last paragraph is very true. These seemingly small issues are quite annoying indeed.
    David Lefkowitz likes this.
    11-01-13 05:13 PM
    Agree with your observations except the one about the ribbon cable...
    This is not as easy as you describe. For several reasons:

1. The charging current applied to the "side" Micro-USB connector is very likely routed through a voltage regulator circuitry inside the Q10. If you insert the ribbon cable directly from a charger to the battery, you might damage the battery.

2. The suggested solution is prone to be damaged by opening and closing the back cover, as we do need to do from time to time when entire RESET is required.

The proper configuration change has to be provided by BlackBerry. They failed to do that, and seem to ignore that issue.

Your last paragraph is very true. These seemingly small issues are quite annoying indeed.
    Good point - I wasn't considering the voltage difference between the USB plug and what the battery is. Good thing I'm not an engineer, eh?
    11-02-13 08:23 AM
    Fully agree with you "kimschmitz24" !

I too am quite frustrated with the lack of a genuine BB provision to just place the Q10 on a Cradle, next to my bad at night or on the desk at my office. Placing the Q10 on third party Cradles (sideways.....!!! - :-( ....) by carefully fitting the male Micro USB connector with the female on the Q10 every time we want to rest the Q10 is a BAD design. Dumb - if I may say.

I had several of these simple and inexpensive cradels for my BB 9630 Bold, and later on for my BB 9650 Bold. Placed these permanently around the house and in my office and didn't have to worry about the micro USB connector and the charging wire falling out of sight.... Life was good....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ceadle--BOLD.jpg 
Views:	616 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	216478

Having said that, my BB 9650 eventually failed to charge from the side micro-USB connector. That most likely happened by moving the BB around in my car when the charger was connected to it... :-(

Examining the rear cover of my new Q10 (which I have been trying to get used to...), I don't really see a way that an upgrade by BB or by any third party for that matter, could resolve the issue as there are no suitable and available electrical connectors which could route the charging current into the Q10 internal charging circuit. The 2 available contacts are used by the NFC antenna (which I don't think is that useful at all!).

There are 3 copper - dot points (these look to me like some test points...!?) just to the right of the SIM card. These are indeed exposed, but (a) I am not sure what these are for (b) these dots are flat and would need to come in contact with some "spring pins" on any back cover to allow reliable electrical contact to be made.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Q10---Rear.jpg 
Views:	618 
Size:	345.5 KB 
ID:	216480

I assume that the guys at BB couldn't easily fit an interconnection for Battery charging through the Back Cover (in a similar way to that which has been done in the BOLDs. But that was their problem to solve. And solve - they didn't.

The plugging and unplugging of the charger to the Micro USB port is a bad design and I have no doubt will cause mechanical/electrical problems after a few month of usage. That applies to all the third party offered Cradles as well.

I for one, expected the engineers at RIM to be more intelligent in the basic ergonomics of the design of this NEW Q10.... On this matter - they deserve to get an "F" from us.
    They look like pogo pins... intriguing.
    11-02-13 08:40 AM
    They didn't include it because it would make the device cost more to make.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    11-02-13 08:59 AM
    01-19-14 01:58 AM
    Please bring back charging contacts on next flagship Qwerty BlackBerry.

So handy and cool just dropping them into the cradle to charge and have the clock come on after a long days work without having to fiddle with the dang cable connection.

BlackBerry needs to stick with all the things that make BlackBerrys so James Bond-cool.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 09:25 AM
    I really wonder why they didn't gave us a charging pod. Bad decisions were done by Blackberry! Really sad on this one. What a luxury to skip the accessories business.
    01-19-14 09:33 AM
    I came from the 9900 to the Q10 and I miss the easy docking feature of the 9900. The Q10 dock just doesn't make much sense..
    01-19-14 09:43 AM
    Looks like a decent stop-gap, and were I to purchase a Q10 I'd likely get one of those. Still, don't like the idea of having to connect the mini-USB each time I'd have to charge the device. Those things do sometimes wear out.

I find myself connecting my 9930 to any form of mini-USB only once a quarter or so.
    01-19-14 11:11 AM
    Looks like a decent stop-gap, and were I to purchase a Q10 I'd likely get one of those. Still, don't like the idea of having to connect the mini-USB each time I'd have to charge the device. Those things do sometimes wear out.

I find myself connecting my 9930 to any form of mini-USB only once a quarter or so.
    I Agree... Q10 dock isn't any more practical that simply plug the cable in. I bet I have to hold the dock each time I want to remove the phone otherwise the dock would come stuck to it.
    01-19-14 11:14 AM