I think there's so many good tablet options but if you still have productivity on your mind go windows 8. I personally like surface as the touchcover works great

Posted using my Q10 via CB10
    10-19-13 08:34 AM
    I am using the Sony Xperia Tablet S.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 4
    10-19-13 08:53 AM
    Windows 8 tablet. A Surface Pro2 or a Surface2 would be the best. Fast, easy to use smooth. Just like the BB10 OS. At the moment I have a Nexus 7 but once the new surface2 is out I buy one. Maybe I invest more money to get the Pro but I am still thinking.... The Surface 2 has everything i need and the most important is the ability to simply connect anything using the usb3 port. Win8 on tablet is very nice I think with great features. Surface pro2 is maybe more future proof and you can install any windows legacy softwares. This is why i am still thinking... do I want the Pro2 for the price of 2 Surface2s? maybe not...browsing and picture and video would be the main use.... anyway... |Windows 8! :-)
    10-19-13 09:08 AM
    iPad Mini or the Nexus 7, for sure. The size's unbeatable for daily use ...
    10-19-13 09:09 AM
    Greets,

I think your tablet choice will depend on what you wish to do with your tablet.

You can pick up a playbook for a pittance these days (I just snagged a 64GB model for $60). They're slow and low-res by today's standards, but they make decent email, web-browsing, video-playback and document-creation / note-taking devices. You will also be quite happy with battery life.

What you won't get from a playbook is loads of apps and games as you would with android or ipad tablets. And OS updates will likely never be released again.

Still, a playbook will bridge (via bluetooth) with your BB smartphone, but functionality is limited with BB10 - still useful but more of a novelty than a productivity aid.

I would say get a playbook if you can find one for a reasonable price. It is a decent compliment to a BB phone. But if you like gaming, or access to lots of apps, you'll do well with either android or Apple.

Let is know what you decide!
    Sean welcome,

This is a good post; the Quote...!

I am perfectly happy with my PlayBook, a 64gb. I bought it over a couple of years ago at Office Depot for I think $350.00. That was a good price for a 64gb tablet. It works like a champ for me, I have used it with 3 BlackBarry phones, a Torch 9800, 9810 and now Z10 via bluetooth and it Works Great..! I have pictures on it, music, watch videos/ YouTube, email, browse the net. If I were going to get another tablet I would get another PlayBook by BlackBerry�.
    10-19-13 09:01 PM
    Cheers robhenry.

I just wanted to add, since I last posted, I have delved deeply into the world of side-loading. I am pleased to report that this has met with much greater success than expected. My experience may benefit those who are on the fence when it comes to spending their hard-earned coin on a playbook.

My side-load successes:

- Kijiji
    - Craigslist
    - Twitter
    - Yahoo Messenger
    - Whatsapp

And my journey has just started.

This makes me feel I can recommend a playbook to any Blackberry fan who might be interested providing:

1) You don't pay a lot ($60 - 100 CDN at the time of this post).
    2) Learn all there is to learn about how to side-load android apps.

Point 2 especially will extend the useful lifespan of the playbook tremendously, particularly if you loiter at http://apps.goodereader.com/ while your spouse snoozes...
    brunoxrs likes this.
    10-19-13 10:26 PM
    Like I said earlier the playbook was my favorite tablet but ultimately I just don't see how recommending it is the right thing to do. Its very slow (compared to today's tablets). It has very old guts and apps and updates won't come. Yes it's the best ui around but multitasking isn't as important on a tablet as it is on a phone. How much more could an original nexus 7 be? With that you have a huge app store quad core and a higher rez screen. I would say bridge would be a good argument for picking up a playbook but it's gimped with BB10 and isn't as valuable anymore

Anyway I'd love to say playbook but I don't want my fanboyism to sway seomone into a bad decision.

10-19-13 10:37 PM
    Whatever you do, don't get a playbook. Plain and simple. No more future updates and frankly it pales in the performance department. I have one and its gathering dust somewhere.

Just wait until the apple event to see what they are coming out with. An ipad mini retina would be perfect, depending on what you use it for. Doesn't matter what you get, just don't get a playbook. I'm trying to spare you the frustration of owning it.

If you're into productivity try looking at the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition. It's pricy but excellent for getting **** done. The stylus alone makes it worth it imo. If apple doesn't release an ipad mini retina I'm going to sell my playbook and get a galaxy note.

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 10:38 PM
    Whatever you do, don't get a playbook. Plain and simple. No more future updates and frankly it pales in the performance department. I have one and its gathering dust somewhere.

Just wait until the apple event to see what they are coming out with. An ipad mini retina would be perfect, depending on what you use it for. Doesn't matter what you get, just don't get a playbook. I'm trying to spare you the frustration of owning it.

If you're into productivity try looking at the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition. It's pricy but excellent for getting **** done. The stylus alone makes it worth it imo. If apple doesn't release an ipad mini retina I'm going to sell my playbook and get a galaxy note.

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    I just returned a galaxy note 10.1 like a month ago? Maybe 2? I couldn't get **** done.

#IchooseBlackBerry10 (BB#25)
    John Pawling likes this.
    10-19-13 11:22 PM
    I just returned a galaxy note 10.1 like a month ago? Maybe 2? I couldn't get **** done.

Right, and I am assuming you think you can get **** done on the playbook? I am talking about the new Galaxy note 10.1 by the way.

I can easily sign documents on the fly and have it sent back asap. More support for business and productivity apps and with multi-window, you can get more done at once. The playbook is terrible at the aforementioned tasks. Thats a fact. You can argue all you want, but you can't fight reality. Try taking notes on the playbook at meetings and classes, and then come back to me. It's a breeze on the Note on the other hand. So really, its not even a contest at this point.
    10-19-13 11:32 PM
    Right, and I am assuming you think you can get **** done on the playbook? I am talking about the new Galaxy note 10.1 by the way.

I can easily sign documents on the fly and have it sent back asap. More support for business and productivity apps and with multi-window, you can get more done at once. The playbook is terrible at the aforementioned tasks. Thats a fact. You can argue all you want, but you can't fight reality. Try taking notes on the playbook at meetings and classes, and then come back to me. It's a breeze on the Note on the other hand. So really, its not even a contest at this point.
    I get lots done with the playbook, including presentations, taking notes, accessing my desktop remotely, and a ton of other things...and I run a business and teach.

You're entitled to your opinion, but my experience is different.

Additionally, for "getting things done", a windows 8 tablet is the it real alternative...and I have both...............IN MY OPINION.
    bradu1 likes this.
    10-19-13 11:50 PM

Yep. Galaxy Note 10.1. Search my post history. I wrote all about it. That was the tablet that made me swear off android forever. It was absolutely useless to me. Third samsung galaxy tab for me. Thought buying the newest and most expensive would finally get me something productive. Nope.

And I'm not comparing it to the pb. I will compare the pb to the original samsung galaxy tab I bought at the same time. And yes, I also returned that way back when. And kept the PlayBook. And ended up buying 3 more over the years. So yeah, what you're talking about, the pb can't do or wouldn't be good at it, however even today when in get home from work and sit down on my couch. It's the PlayBook I reach for to read my news.

So, to keep score, bought 4 pb's. 2 for me, (broke one screen, and replaced it) one for ex wife, one for family. All but last one paid full price, and still get use out of it.

On android side bought original samsung galaxy tab, returned it about 2 months in, bought samsung galaxy tab 2, kept it for about a year, used it for games. Gave it away when I bought the note 10.1. Returned that within a month.

However I did buy a Samsung Windows 8 pro tab (with keyboard dock and s-pen). Now that is a productive tablet. Which is why I suggested the op get a windows 8 pro tab. In my opinion, they are the only really productive tabs out there. I couldn't even get a decent word processor in android world. Really, search out my posts on my android, I fully discussed my issues, and it's not something I made up for this thread. Btw, I tried the multi-window, it was one of the things I was excited about. But strictly in my opinion, it's dumb. I mean really, splitting the screen the way it does... useless. If they wanted to make a productive multi screen, they should have done it the way windows has been doing it for the last 20 years or so.

...and does anyone really take notes with the s-pen? My second in command at work has had a note 2 for the last year, he doesn't even take the s-pen out of its hole anymore. Even on my Samsung windows tab, which is an inch bigger than the note, I still find it easier to type than to write on that thing. The pen is good for drawing if you get a good app (sketchbook pro, awesome full featured app on windows, dumbed down etch a sketch version on android, I bought both) and selecting. My opinion better than a mouse.

10-20-13 12:08 AM
    Yep. Galaxy Note 10.1. Search my post history. I wrote all about it. That was the tablet that made me swear off android forever. It was absolutely useless to me. Third samsung galaxy tab for me. Thought buying the newest and most expensive would finally get me something productive. Nope.

And I'm not comparing it to the pb. I will compare the pb to the original samsung galaxy tab I bought at the same time. And yes, I also returned that way back when. And kept the PlayBook. And ended up buying 3 more over the years. So yeah, what you're talking about, the pb can't do or wouldn't be good at it, however even today when in get home from work and sit down on my couch. It's the PlayBook I reach for to read my news.

So, to keep score, bought 4 pb's. 2 for me, (broke one screen, and replaced it) one for ex wife, one for family. All but last one paid full price, and still get use out of it.

On android side bought original samsung galaxy tab, returned it about 2 months in, bought samsung galaxy tab 2, kept it for about a year, used it for games. Gave it away when I bought the note 10.1. Returned that within a month.

However I did buy a Samsung Windows 8 pro tab (with keyboard dock and s-pen). Now that is a productive tablet. Which is why I suggested the op get a windows 8 pro tab. In my opinion, they are the only really productive tabs out there. I couldn't even get a decent word processor in android world. Really, search out my posts on my android, I fully discussed my issues, and it's not something I made up for this thread. Btw, I tried the multi-window, it was one of the things I was excited about. But strictly in my opinion, it's dumb. I mean really, splitting the screen the way it does... useless. If they wanted to make a productive multi screen, they should have done it the way windows has been doing it for the last 20 years or so.

...and does anyone really take notes with the s-pen? My second in command at work has had a note 2 for the last year, he doesn't even take the s-pen out of its hole anymore. Even on my Samsung windows tab, which is an inch bigger than the note, I still find it easier to type than to write on that thing. The pen is good for drawing if you get a good app (sketchbook pro, awesome full featured app on windows, dumbed down etch a sketch version on android, I bought both) and selecting. My opinion better than a mouse.

I have a 2 1/2 year old dead PlayBook. Worked great until 2 months ago. I have had the Note 10.1 for almost a year. I Love it. Getting the HP envy X2 soon and I'm sure I will find it more productive yet. I like the S pen. I use it more as a mouse than anything. I think I will find that windows 8 on a a tablet will rock my world in productivity. Also picking up the Q10 in about a month if things go well. I think I will be very pleased.

Sent from my EVO to soon be replaced with a Q10 via the CB Forums App
    10-20-13 12:27 AM
    I have a 2 1/2 year old dead PlayBook. Worked great until 2 months ago. I have had the Note 10.1 for almost a year. I Love it. Getting the HP envy X2 soon and I'm sure I will find it more productive yet. I like the S pen. I use it more as a mouse than anything. I think I will find that windows 8 on a a tablet will rock my world in productivity. Also picking up the Q10 in about a month if things go well. I think I will be very pleased.

Sent from my EVO to soon be replaced with a Q10 via the CB Forums App
    HP envy looks nice. You'll love it paired with your phone. I like the s-pen too. That's why I bought the note. Just couldn't get past android. Got the Sammy windows tab cuz it had the pen and I couldn't justify paying so much for the surface just for the pen. Love my Sammy win tab, but the build quality isn't there. There's a lot of flex. I bet that HP won't have that problem.

axllebeer likes this.
    10-20-13 12:34 AM
    Asus Nexus7 2013 + BlackBerry Q10 = best combo for me..

Posted via CB10
    Nexus 7 2012 + BlackBerry Q10 = perfection for me.
    The Nexus has all the apps you likely need, a fast processor, plenty of RAM and updates come directly from Google.
    I'd definately get the 2013 one from Google's Play Store, buy as much storage as you can afford as they don't have an SD card slot.
    Also, it may be worth getting the version that takes a sim unless you're always on WiFi.
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/24/n...2013-hands-on/

For a Windows tablet, the on that I've been hearing good reviews about is the Dell Venue 8 Pro though the pen costs extra.
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/02/d...o-11-hands-on/
    Last edited by CJH_; 10-20-13 at 12:17 PM.
    10-20-13 12:39 AM
    Text input, and especially editing, on my ASUS TF-201 has probably taken a year or two off my life.

In truth, I find the input algorithms on the PB tend to do a much better job at figuring out what I was trying to type than the ASUS. Plus, the form factor in portrait is quite conducive to speedy "thumbs-typing."

It really is an, umm, apples to oranges comparison.

If it proves itself stable, I can see the PB easily becoming my note-taker / power point robot during meetings. And having paid only $60 (less than half a nice dinner), I won't cry if someone spills coffee on it, or if it flies out of my hand as I go to punch an annoying colleague....

I'm super curious about the Windows tablets though. I really need to talk the better-half into letting me get one ... *wiggles fingers.*

Blackberry is dead; long live Blackberry!
    10-20-13 12:49 AM

Look, I wasn't trying to make this out to be critical of the PB, I am just saying that I don't want the OP to be stuck with a tablet with little to no support going forward, and an ecosystem that is not as strong as the competitors, with weaker specs. If the OP has the budget, why not go for a good modern tablet.

As for the usefulness of the PB, lets just agree to disagree. Not to say that its not useful to you, but to many people, including myself, it just doesn't cut it imo. But I respect your opinion as well. We are all blackberry fans here

To the OP: I will echo what others have been saying, the Nexus 7 is an affordable tablet with excellent specs and is arguably on of the best bang for the buck deals. If someone has PlayBook, give it a shot to see if you jive with it. But do realize its shortcomings before you get one. Otherwise you can't go wrong with the Nexus or iPad, depending on your budget and uses for the tablet. Microsoft also released their official remote desktop client for free on iOS and Android, so You can access your PC from anywhere, and if you get a keyboard for the tablet, you are basically set.
    10-20-13 01:22 AM
    Text input, and especially editing, on my ASUS TF-201 has probably taken a year or two off my life.

In truth, I find the input algorithms on the PB tend to do a much better job at figuring out what I was trying to type than the ASUS. Plus, the form factor in portrait is quite conducive to speedy "thumbs-typing."

It really is an, umm, apples to oranges comparison.

If it proves itself stable, I can see the PB easily becoming my note-taker / power point robot during meetings. And having paid only $60 (less than half a nice dinner), I won't cry if someone spills coffee on it, or if it flies out of my hand as I go to punch an annoying colleague....

I'm super curious about the Windows tablets though. I really need to talk the better-half into letting me get one ... *wiggles fingers.*

I am not a fan of the onscreen keyboard for taking notes. Look on Kijiji or craigslist to see if anyone is selling the official Bluetooth keyboard. You can get it on the cheap, if note taking will be one of your priorities.

Here is a video of it incase you are not familiar with the keyboard: .

Cheers.
    10-20-13 01:25 AM
    Look, I wasn't trying to make this out to be critical of the PB, I am just saying that I don't want the OP to be stuck with a tablet with little to no support going forward, and an ecosystem that is not as strong as the competitors, with weaker specs. If the OP has the budget, why not go for a good modern tablet.

As for the usefulness of the PB, lets just agree to disagree. Not to say that its not useful to you, but to many people, including myself, it just doesn't cut it imo. But I respect your opinion as well. We are all blackberry fans here

To the OP: I will echo what others have been saying, the Nexus 7 is an affordable tablet with excellent specs and is arguably on of the best bang for the buck deals. If someone has PlayBook, give it a shot to see if you jive with it. But do realize its shortcomings before you get one. Otherwise you can't go wrong with the Nexus or iPad, depending on your budget and uses for the tablet. Microsoft also released their official remote desktop client for free on iOS and Android, so You can access your PC from anywhere, and if you get a keyboard for the tablet, you are basically set.
    If you read my first post, you'll see I did not recommend the pb. For the reason that what the pb has going for it, BB10 does it better. Yes, I lived my pb when it was new, and still use it daily, but realistically, it is now dated, and eol, we won't be seeing anything new come to it. But his question was what's the best tablet to pair with his phone. Neither an android or ipad will have any functionality with his phone.

If he's looking for something to play the latest app of the week that everyone is talking about on Facebook, then ipad or Android is the way to go.

If he's looking for something that add to his phone experience, windows pro is the only way to go now. (yes, not even pb at this point with BB10, or win RT for that matter) just think of it this way, anything you use your computer for with your phone, (backing up, leaks, side loading, etc etc) you can do right on your win 8 pro tablet. A win 8 tab feels like an extension to your phone, and vice versa. And talking about apps and app stores, win 8 pro IS full windows, so you don't need a mobile version app to do stuff, just get the regular full desktop version.

Can't go wrong with a win 8 tab. And right now, you can find many for cheaper than an ipad and whatever android is popular this week.

anon(8080272) and prplhze2000 like this.
    10-20-13 01:42 AM
    I am not a fan of the onscreen keyboard for taking notes. Look on Kijiji or craigslist to see if anyone is selling the official Bluetooth keyboard. You can get it on the cheap, if note taking will be one of your priorities.

Here is a video of it incase you are not familiar with the keyboard: .

Cheers.
    You are talking to a QWERTY loving, touch-screen hating, Q10 user here. So point well-taken.

To veer back on topic, as has already been mentioned, PB is old, slow, and pretty much EOL with no OS updates or software releases in its future. And bridge with BB10 is a shadow of its former self.

The point still holds; OP's choice of tablet will be dictated by his needs, wants, and priorities. There's still a subset (albeit a small one) of users for whom a cheap PB will fit the bill. I'm one of them, in no small part due to the fact I have an arsenal of other tools to make up for its short-comings (and I bought the PB to tinker, not necessarily for heavy productivity or entertainment lifting; it browses, it emails, it connects to my phone, and it says "Blackberry.") Heh!

I think the many suggestions and varied opinions in response to OP's question offer a wealth of preferences which will help with the decision.

And I can't wait to hear what that decision is!

(Windows ... Windows ... Windows ...)

bradu1 likes this.
    10-20-13 02:02 AM
    I'm actually also looking forward to the surface pro 2. Lots of positive buzz so far. Anyone know the price?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 06:22 AM
    I'm not a big Apple fan but the iPad mini is one awesome device. I'd narrow my search to the iPad mini and the new Nexus 7. You can't go wrong with either one...

Posted with CB10/Q10
    10-20-13 06:40 AM
    Playbook was my fav tablet ever but like so many have said DONT get it. Its from 2011 with a 1GB processor. That alone is a good reason to avoid. In general tablets aren't good at getting **** done. So if that's your concern get a surface or a nexus 7 with a good keyboard case.

10-20-13 07:40 AM
    That alone is a good reason to avoid. In general tablets aren't good at getting **** done.
    That's the main reason why I still haven't gotten one. I don't see how a tablet will improve my online presence or make my work easier. Typing on the Q10 is a far better experience than on most tablets. I don't need a device where I need to struggle to write a smiple email.

Posted with CB10/Q10
    10-20-13 08:17 AM

I agree with this guy. As much as I love the playbook it's a silly investment for a 2+year old piece of tech that's already shelved. Who wants to spend 60 bucks to take notes and look at pics. Put a little more money into it and you have a nexus 7 which is fantastic and has a bright future.

10-20-13 09:47 AM
71 123