So I've been a BlackBerry customer since a while now, as most of you have, and I would love to be loyal to RIM and purchase a PlayBook. Now before you start stoning me I'd like to mention that I DO understand it's limited capabilities with BB10. But other than that I'm pretty much in the dark. Can someone help me out by mentioning what it can and cannot do, or maybe point me in the right direction? What tablet would you purchase and why? Budget is definitely a factor but if the price can be justified by it's functionality w/ a BB10 device I'd be interested. Thanks all.

Regards,

Sean
    10-17-13 04:19 PM
    I like the iPad for its ecosystem but Android let's you do a lot more. I've never tried a PlayBook so I don't know what I'm missing in there.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 04:21 PM
    Asus Nexus7 2013 + BlackBerry Q10 = best combo for me..

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 05:30 PM
    Ahh, choices, choices. I have a iPad with Retina Display and its really nice, but I also have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0. The iPad is limited in some ways, such as being able to load EVERY SINGLE WEBSITE, even if it's flashed based. The iPad also lets you download iPhone apps. The Note 8.0 is awesome, I love it's size and is functionality is not limited like the iPad, except that not all Android apps will work, I constantly get the, App is not compatible with your device bs.

Hope that helps, have fun choosing!
    10-17-13 05:53 PM
    I've got a 2013 Nexus 7 with my Q10. You should really look into one

Posted with my Q10!
    10-17-13 06:07 PM
    10-17-13 06:07 PM
    If you're looking to pair a tablet with your phone, there's really only one choice. A windows 8 pro tablet (pick your manufacturer based on price and features)

I still love my PlayBook, but honestly, bridge just isn't enough to warrant it anymore with BB10. And everything you gained (minus screen size) over BBOS with the PlayBook, well, BB10 does it better on its own. An ipad or Android tab will not give you any functionality with your phone. Best you'll muster is using your phone as a hot spot for your tab. Pick an android and maybe nfc some files back and forth.

A windows 8 tab partners perfectly with BB10. Remote file access, you can install leaks to phone, update os. I'm telling you, wonderful wonderful (yes, repeated on purpose) pair.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 06:08 PM
    What will the most frequent uses for the tablet be?

Posted via CB10 from my Q10 (SQN100-3)
    10-17-13 07:10 PM
    Surface pro

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 07:20 PM
    If you're looking to pair a tablet with your phone, there's really only one choice. A windows 8 pro tablet (pick your manufacturer based on price and features)

I still love my PlayBook, but honestly, bridge just isn't enough to warrant it anymore with BB10. And everything you gained (minus screen size) over BBOS with the PlayBook, well, BB10 does it better on its own. An ipad or Android tab will not give you any functionality with your phone. Best you'll muster is using your phone as a hot spot for your tab. Pick an android and maybe nfc some files back and forth.

A windows 8 tab partners perfectly with BB10. Remote file access, you can install leaks to phone, update os. I'm telling you, wonderful wonderful (yes, repeated on purpose) pair.

Posted via CB10
    Ditto.
    bradu1 likes this.
    10-17-13 07:32 PM
    Google Nexus 7 2013 + Q10.

Q10 - 10.2.0.1767
    10-17-13 07:40 PM
    Surface pro

Posted via CB10
    I have the surface pro 2 on order and looking forward to ditching my iPad 3 for it.
    10-17-13 07:41 PM
    Greets,

I think your tablet choice will depend on what you wish to do with your tablet.

You can pick up a playbook for a pittance these days (I just snagged a 64GB model for $60). They're slow and low-res by today's standards, but they make decent email, web-browsing, video-playback and document-creation / note-taking devices. You will also be quite happy with battery life.

What you won't get from a playbook is loads of apps and games as you would with android or ipad tablets. And OS updates will likely never be released again.

Still, a playbook will bridge (via bluetooth) with your BB smartphone, but functionality is limited with BB10 - still useful but more of a novelty than a productivity aid.

I would say get a playbook if you can find one for a reasonable price. It is a decent compliment to a BB phone. But if you like gaming, or access to lots of apps, you'll do well with either android or Apple.

Let is know what you decide!
    dmlis likes this.
    10-17-13 11:19 PM
    You can pick up a playbook for a pittance these days (I just snagged a 64GB model for $60).
    That's a great price, and good for you. But let's be very clear here -- this is not the typical market value for a 64GB PlayBook. You clearly got an amazing deal on a 64GB for only $60. Either you relentlessly talked the person down, or they knew nothing much of the proper value (or maybe it's damaged in some way).

I say this in confidence as I just did a scan on Craig's List, and saw quite a few PlayBooks but nothing near $60 and anything in that range was a 16GB model.

So yes, you got a great deal but please let's not make it like they are giving them away for a pittance.
    anon(1852343) and Breezygirl8 like this.
    10-17-13 11:35 PM
    That's a great price, and good for you. But let's be very clear here -- this is not the typical market value for a 64GB PlayBook. You clearly got an amazing deal on a 64GB for only $60. Either you relentlessly talked the person down, or they knew nothing much of the proper value (or maybe it's damaged in some way).

I say this in confidence as I just did a scan on Craig's List, and saw quite a few PlayBooks but nothing near $60 and anything in that range was a 16GB model.

So yes, you got a great deal but please let's not make it like they are giving them away for a pittance.
    You're in Dreamland...lots of people locally are practically giving them away....in Vancouver, people are very stupid, because they are isheep.

It's an interesting market , because the deals are great, and people ********....take advantage of it...*edit....the edited part is "a.r e. s.t.u.p.i.d"
    10-18-13 01:15 AM
    You're in Dreamland...lots of people locally are practically giving them away....
    Practically giving them away? Wow, give us some contact #s so we can all get one for free. Listen, even a name brand quality 64GB usb flash drive on average sells for around $40, so there is no way $60 is a "typical" price for a 64GB PlayBook. Anyway, don't take my word for it - check your Craig's List and you'll see for yourself.
    10-18-13 01:25 AM
    Practically giving them away? Wow, give us some contact #s so we can all get one for free. Listen, even a name brand quality 64GB usb flash drive on average sells for around $40, so there is no way $60 is a "typical" price for a 64GB PlayBook. Anyway, don't take my word for it - check your Craig's List and you'll see for yourself.
    I agree. What I paid is more typical of what one might expect to pay for a 16GB model. I know the person I bought it from well, and she and hubby had already made the switch to iPad, and weren't looking to recup costs (they're quite well-off).

Still, Playbooks ought not to cost anyone too much over (and likely a fair bit under) $100. $75ish for a not-so-gently (yet fully operational) used 16GB unit isn't uncommon. That's from a quick gander through Kijiji in the Calgary area.

Those Nexus tablets, sold directly through Google, did a lot to devalue All The Other Guys' Stuff!

Blackberry is dead; long live Blackberry!
    10-18-13 01:47 AM
    Actually yes... I have 2 friends who picked up a couple of units last month for about $70 each...I personally bought one 5 month ago for $90...the point here being the price keeps going down.
    10-18-13 12:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is exactly what I'm about to do. When I pay off my layaway lol. Grabbed the HP Envy X2 for $500 at my local Walmart. Can't wait to use it. And the 1st of December I'm grabbing a Q10. Looking forward to the combo. (But I do have a Note 10.1 as well. Really like it but it doesn't "pair with and phone" in any functional way. )

Sent from my EVO to soon be replaced with a Q10 via the CB Forums App
    bradu1 likes this.
    10-18-13 03:38 PM
    I've had so many tablets. Playbook nexus 7 ipad touchpad and surface rt. I loved the playbook and bridge but the processor was really struggling to keep up with everything. Even in the browser. The lack of apps and app updates made it so hard to justify keeping so I sold it. To be honest I wouldn't discount surface pro or surface rt. I know I know they are microsoft but the productivity element of surface works well with blackberry. Grab yourself a touch cover and you should be pretty at home with it. I just got the original surface rt with touch cover refurbed for 200 on ebay and it was so worth it.

Thar being said the playbook might have been my favorite tablet ever. It was a solid build and great software. Its just there are no apps and they won't come.

Posted using my Q10 via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-18-13 08:57 PM
    the playbook might have been my favorite tablet ever.
    Was mine too. Wish they had made another one.

Sent from my EVO to soon be replaced with a Q10 via the CB Forums App
    10-18-13 09:09 PM
    Yeah... I would actually love a Z30 without a cell radio... like a Z30 ipod touch. Imagine how useful that would be with a Q10 and bridge

axllebeer likes this.
    10-18-13 10:33 PM
    Yeah... I would actually love a Z30 without a cell radio... like a Z30 ipod touch. Imagine how useful that would be with a Q10 and bridge

Exactly! It would be awesome!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 via the CB Forums App
    10-18-13 10:41 PM
    I would not recommend the Playbook as I have problems with it maintain bridge and as others have mentioned your phone will do just about everything better. Surface Pro would be my pick.

Posted via keyboard bearing Q10
    10-19-13 07:39 AM
    I don't have a Q or Z but I'm waiting for the new Atom chips going in win8 tabs, hoping someone will be making an 8" one.
    10-19-13 08:00 AM
71 123