I think BlackBerry and the press have it all wrong.

A QWERTY BlackBerry doesn't get its advantage while typing. Typing on a large touch screen is probably just as fast or faster than a QWERTY (except for blind typing). The BlackBerry QWERTY dominates the competition in UI navigation through the use of keyboard shortcuts and the physical buttons. I get teased by friends and coworkers for having a "slow" BlackBerry (9930). I explain to them that I used to have an Android and I realized that the only thing I used the "cool" apps for was to show others the cool apps I had. They often chuckle and agree after thinking about it. I then challenge them to perform an action of their choice and we will see who can do it faster. I've been challenged to look up definitions on the web and email or text the results. Find a picture, crop it and upload to facebook. Do some math in the calculator and post the results, ect. I also DOMINATE these challenges. The value of the QWERTY is the rapid navigation through the UI that will never be achieved with time consuming finger gestures.

I wish the Q10 was a large dual QWERTY / touch phone. Something between the size of the Nexus 4 and the Galaxy Note II. It should have a big QWERTY keyboard and the physical phone, menu, trackpad, back, and hang up buttons. It should have a massive battery. It should retain all of the shortcuts from BB7 and older and do the fancy new touch gestures as well.

Sad face...
    Masahiro, bbzak, m0de25 and 3 others like this.
    01-31-13 12:58 AM
    Indeed. One of the main things I'll miss about the 9900 if I were to go with the Z10 would be the keyboard shortcuts. The typing speeds can be debated until the cows come home (what I find is that I'm faster with two hands on the 9900, and faster with one hand on a touchscreen keyboard like Swiftkey3...rule of thumb?), but no one can deny the advantage of the keyboard for its shortcuts.
    Bbnivende and bforbaker like this.
    01-31-13 02:08 AM
    I agree on the shortcuts part too.

Press R for reply, F for forward, N for BBM, B for browser>>>>>>>>
    Can i just live without em?
    NO.
    Typing speeds are very much depended on individuals and very highly debatable.

But as far as my thoughts go, I assume that Blackberry also knows this well good too. Hence, they have kept all shortcuts intact on the Q10.
    They ca also introduce a small BB button, just like Windows start button... and introduce key combos.
    How about BB button + volume up for music app and favorites etc....?
    The opportunities are literally humongous!!!
    01-31-13 02:19 AM
    ... I then challenge them to perform an action of their choice and we will see who can do it faster. I've been challenged to look up definitions on the web and email or text the results. Find a picture, crop it and upload to facebook. Do some math in the calculator and post the results, ect. I also DOMINATE these challenges (with my 99xx)....
    The big one for me is "find an old email" (on my phone or at my desk), because every time I get a "thanks", "meeting request accepted", spam, cc'd to thousands, "rate the help desk," etc., I press delete and >>>>gone>>>>. My inbox stays tidy.
    01-31-13 04:49 AM
    I think BlackBerry and the press have it all wrong.

A QWERTY BlackBerry doesn't get its advantage while typing. Typing on a large touch screen is probably just as fast or faster than a QWERTY (except for blind typing).
    While some of your other points are valid, this one simply isn't true for people that are really quick at typing on their qwerty.

As far as the keyboard shortcuts, it seems like a no-brainer that they would be included and it might simply be that things like that were not snazzy enough to make the brief demo.
    01-31-13 04:56 AM
    If you take out the predictive text for touch devices, qwerty typing is actually faster because you dont actually have to lift your thumbs up while you type, you just slide them across the keys and push. Whereas with touch typing you have to take your thumbs off the screen to not push any accidental letters. So qwerty is a clear winner with speed hands down.
    01-31-13 06:24 AM
    Search youtube; Faster is arguable. Easier is not. One "phone race" not yet mentioned in this thread is "fastest to reply." I use my personal phone, so I'm not even on the BES. This means I have a few minutes of delay when receiving work emails. However, I am still among the fastest to reply because I don't have to completely stop what I'm doing to type out a reply. I can walk and "talk", ride in a car and "talk", maintain at least sporadic eye contact with someone and "talk", and, I'll admit, keep an eye on the traffic light and "talk" (I never touch it when the car is moving).

Unlike the OP, I do not want a larger phone. This would take away from the always-on-my-hip advantage. The ONLY thing that would stop me from buying a Q10 is rumors of a new 97xx (not gonna happen).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    spike12 likes this.
    01-31-13 07:35 AM
    Mashiro: Where is the best place to go to learn about shortcuts ? What are your favorites. ?
    01-31-13 09:28 AM
    Mashiro: Where is the best place to go to learn about shortcuts ? What are your favorites. ?
    I had an app installed called MyOwnHotKeys which allowed me to remap the home screen keyboard shortcuts to whatever I wanted. For example, I had Called mapped to camera, V mapped to video camera and Business for browser. It's clunky to use, and you have to hide all the icons that pop up when you install it, but I highly recommend it!

As for the other default hotkeys, they're in the help file. There's too many to go through, but one of my favourites was pressing W to go to the tabs screen on the browser.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-31-13 09:57 AM
    I'm in my 60s, and I love my 9930. Don't know if I want to give up keyboard shortcuts, but my old thumbs can't work the keyboard very well anymore. I'm interested in the virtual keyboard of the Z10. I get the impression that there will be gesture shortcuts for replies, composes, and the like.
    01-31-13 10:27 AM
    i don't think they'll remove the shortcuts, Prove that in the press they showed us how you can easily search for whatever you want in instant
    02-01-13 01:21 PM
    Dang... Your right. I do really like those keyboard shortcuts. It's one of the main reasons I use the 9900 over my Android phone for day to day usage. I was all psyched to get the Z10 because maybe the keyboard would be as good as the 9900 but even if it is for typing, you'll still lose the shortcuts.

Maybe I should wait until both are out before deciding which one to get. It's not like the 9900 is a bad phone and suddenly obsolete. I'm surprised at how fast it s with the latest OS installed.

Decisions... decisions...
    02-02-13 11:12 AM
    Maybe I should wait until both are out before deciding which one to get. It's not like the 9900 is a bad phone and suddenly obsolete. I'm surprised at how fast it s with the latest OS installed.

Decisions... decisions...
    One thing I would highly recommend is to go out and try the z10 in person, the virtual keyboard is seriously good.
    02-03-13 07:16 AM
    A matter of opinion of course. I tried the virtual keyboard in store today. It's not for me. I am quicker and more accurate with the physical keyboard.
    anon(5506951) likes this.
    02-03-13 12:00 PM
    Who has these in store (well, the Z10?

I assume not in the US?
    02-03-13 04:38 PM
    Well, I guess in your situation, you will now have a faster OS that can beat their Androids/iPhones without needing keyboard shortcuts

But I do agree, I hope they implement keyboard shortcuts. If it isn't there now, they could put them in with a future update.
    02-03-13 05:45 PM
    One thing I would highly recommend is to go out and try the z10 in person, the virtual keyboard is seriously good.
    That's the plan for Tuesday... Wondering now why I bothered to get a Nexus 4 as a backup phone as I don't know if I will ever use it...
    02-03-13 05:50 PM
    I was sold on the Z10 as I had an iPhone and still have an Android for "play" and for backup.
    But just today, when spending a lot of time typing mesages on the android I realized I prefer a qwerty keyboard. Big time.
    Soooo.... I'll be a Q10 dude when the time is right.
    I love my 9780 and its got more work to do B4 it retires. My lovely girlfriend has offered to buy me a 10 for my birthday. So I'll have a new Berry this year. And it will be a Q! Yahoo.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    02-03-13 06:51 PM
    I still get a little frustrated typing on my big Samsung galaxy S3 sometimes. I like to just fly when typing and predictive text can only get it right so much of the time. Man, if I could get the 9930 keyboard and the sgs3 in one phone, I would love it.
    02-03-13 08:20 PM
    If you take out the predictive text for touch devices, qwerty typing is actually faster because you dont actually have to lift your thumbs up while you type, you just slide them across the keys and push. Whereas with touch typing you have to take your thumbs off the screen to not push any accidental letters. So qwerty is a clear winner with speed hands down.
    I could never figure out why I hate typing on glass so much, and this is exactly it. No doubt some are very fast on glass, but for me its not necessarily about speed; its that extra muscle movement required to lift/move/press that just seems to cramp my fingers more than slide/press. Sounds like an inconsequential thing but for me it just feels better this way (just my opinion of course)
    02-04-13 11:19 AM
    "What the Q10 Should Be..."

It should "be" released by now.
    AlexAllen and jegs2 like this.
    02-04-13 11:42 AM