Greetings:

I hope some of you guys are as into hardware as I am, I've been wanting to build myself a new input device for the various computers and things that I use- a Keyboard! I love my Blackberry Bold 9000's keyboard dearly, but due to the fact that it is inseparable from the rest of the device- it appears that I can't take it with me where I'm going to go.

The Q10 appears to be a different story however, based on parts which I've seen pop up on E-bay, for the first time (that I know of) we have here a Blackberry device with a completely modular keyboard! It has it's own Ribbon cable which connects it to the main PCB.

This is an amazing breakthrough, instead of just replacing the membrane on top of each switch, the whole switchboard is it's own component.

Now, the only question is- um... Does anyone here know what each one of those pins on the ribbon cable correspond to? I can't really find any high enough resolution images of this part to be able to determine how many pins are there exactly. Is there any chance that it's serialized?

Either way I've ordered one from E-bay, ideally I would like to pair the keyboard with a Teensy micro-controller because it's so small; on the downside though it only has so many pins itself. Teensy can be identified as a HID device via USB, which is how I'm planning on going about this.

So in conclusion, thanks in advance to anyone who knows- or even has a slight idea.
    I'm not trying to be a Ryan Seacrest here, I just want to feel that fine keyboard feels in my hands once again regardless of what anyone else thinks.

-KB

(Also please don't suggest that I go and find a playbook to pair with so I can get that Blackberry Bluetooth control thing setup again. There are no more around at the local Best Buys)
    10-15-14 11:53 AM
    Just a note to say that I will love to read how to hack this jewel. Found nothing interesting so far on the Q10 keyboard connector. Good luck !
    10-15-14 05:47 PM