I like the Q10. I'm just a bit shocked at some of the design choices.

We have a device that has a killer keyboard. Which gives you great power over touch-only devices. But the OS doesn't come anywhere close to using it to it's fullest potential. I think touch/gesture is a great addition to the BB world. It's a superior input method in certain areas. But if you're going to put a keyboard on the thing. Let us use it to be productivity workhorses! I thought that's what BB was about.

When in the hub, I shouldn't even have to touch the screen! I have 35 hard button keys at my disposal! I should be able to manage the whole hub experience straight from the keyboard. Why in the world do I have to press on each item to get a contextual menu just to delete an item. It makes sense on a touch-only device. But we're giving up real estate for a keyboard so we don't have to be bound by that philosophy. I shouldn't have to press 3 different times on the screen (one of them a long press) just to delete something. I should be able to be a productivity ninja with the keyboard and zero out my Hub of 100 items in 10 seconds!

The same with switching to the Hub and the Home screen. There should be keyboard shortcuts to do this as well. I know, I know, your gestures are the new hotness. And they serve their place. But, it would be awesome if I could get to Instant actions (home screen) without ever having to gesture as well. The keyboard is there for a reason!

just my 2 cents! I feel like we're half way there. We got the keyboard, a killer new OS. Give us the power to really use it!

Also, everything in the hub should be able to be Zeroed out with delete prior. Facebook actions, Google Talk convos... all these things stick.
    Last edited by tyler76; 06-05-13 at 01:51 PM.
    urbanguy, Alystair, k_f and 9 others like this.
    06-05-13 01:31 PM
    Agreed.

Posted via CB10 on my sexy Q10
    06-05-13 01:38 PM
    "Let us use it to be productivity workhorses"

ah... I suppose that makes the title quite fitting.

Hopefully, in time, they will add more and more shortcuts to mirror BBOS... and even let the user program their own!
    SharonRD and tyler76 like this.
    06-05-13 01:41 PM
    "What good is a keyboard if we're castrated"

You are surposed to be using your THUMBS!
    06-05-13 01:48 PM
    I have to agree with you. I really wished to be able to control the hub faster, using the keyboard. For exemple, on my curve 8520 I am able to delete many emails by pressing DEL and enter, but on Q10 I have to click the screen promt. Hower, these are small improvements that can be made; overall the Q10 is an awesome device, one of the best (nomber 1 for me) smartphones in the world .

Posted via CB10
    SharonRD likes this.
    06-05-13 01:49 PM
    You mean pressing the "delete" key on the keyboard no longer gives you the prompt to delete the highlighted messages? If so, that's stupid... That's it, I need to work for Blackberry. I'll make you guys the perfect device.
    SharonRD likes this.
    06-05-13 02:18 PM
    Slagman, that would be awesome.

BB10 is excellent, it just needs a lot of fine tuning, and hopefully it will vastly improve with each update. If carriers ever push out the dang updates, that is. lol Still waiting for one from my carrier..

xanadome likes this.
    06-05-13 02:22 PM
    cas�trate [kas-treyt] Show IPA verb, cas�trat�ed, cas�trat�ing, noun
    verb (used with object)
    to remove the testes of; emasculate; geld.
    to remove the ovaries of.
    Psychology . to render impotent, literally or metaphorically, by psychological means, especially by threatening a person's masculinity or femininity.
    to deprive of strength, power, or efficiency; weaken: Without those ten new submarines, our navy will be castrated.
    noun
    a castrated person or animal.

Not sure you meant to use "castrated"........
    06-05-13 02:26 PM
    to deprive of strength, power, or efficiency; weaken
    I was going with #1, but #4 works as well!
    Winston Loh likes this.
    06-05-13 02:36 PM
    You mean pressing the "delete" key on the keyboard no longer gives you the prompt to delete the highlighted messages? If so, that's stupid... That's it, I need to work for Blackberry. I'll make you guys the perfect device.
    IT gives me the promt, but I have to press on screen to select more items, I did not say my ideas right. Excuse me. I wanted to say that I wish that the deletion of several mails to be as fast as using the trackpad.

Posted via CB10 on my awesome Q10 !
    06-05-13 02:41 PM
    cas�trate [kas-treyt] Show IPA verb, cas�trat�ed, cas�trat�ing, noun
    verb (used with object)
    to remove the testes of; emasculate; geld.
    to remove the ovaries of.
    Psychology . to render impotent, literally or metaphorically, by psychological means, especially by threatening a person's masculinity or femininity.
    to deprive of strength, power, or efficiency; weaken: Without those ten new submarines, our navy will be castrated.
    noun
    a castrated person or animal.

IT sounds ok in romanian, but I get your point. However, my non-native English mind received the title as "something of the device makes us not have full power over q10".

06-05-13 02:43 PM
    BB10 is excellent, it just needs a lot of fine tuning, and hopefully it will vastly improve with each update.
    I'm hoping for this. I'm kind of new to the BB world and don't know what the company is like. So I don't know if stuff like this should be expected or not.
    SharonRD likes this.
    06-05-13 02:46 PM
    I'm hoping for this. I'm kind of new to the BB world and don't know what the company is like. So I don't know if stuff like this should be expected or not.
    Yes, I know exactly what you mean. The Q10 is my first BB, and I have to say that, despite it being a new OS in its' infancy, I am really loving it.

In some ways we have an advantage, because we can't compare BB10 to previous BBs. And I'm really excited to see what will be coming in future updates. It's rough around the edges now, but will be smoothed out over time.

Thank goodness I'm a patient woman, all good things come to those who wait. lol

06-05-13 02:53 PM
    Agree 100% with the OP. There should be wayy more keyboard shortcuts.

I think this might be something a developer can help us out with if BlackBerry isn't going to incorporate it.

I always used "application shortcuts" over "universal search" when you start to type on the homescreen. I really miss that. BB10 definitely feels more cumbersome than legacy devices

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 03:02 PM
    Blackberry really needs to include way more keyboard shortcuts for Q10 users in an update, I'd really prefer not to be forced to use an app to add functionality.

06-05-13 03:08 PM
    I would just like to be able to Long Press "H" on the browser, to hide the blinking url bar! Or something!!!

More short cuts please!

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    06-05-13 04:23 PM
    This does work on the Q10. I don't know why the OP implied it doesn't. You have to long press to select an item, then press the delete key to delete. When viewing pics or similar you can just hit delete to bring up the delete prompt. I can't imagine a different way for it to work.

Posted on my Q10
    ioansuhov likes this.
    06-05-13 04:31 PM
    You have to long press to select an item, then press the delete key to delete.
    Exactly. Long press, delete. Long press, delete. LONG press, delete. Times eleventy billion. It's not very efficient. Especially with a device with a keyboard! Actually, the touch-only devices (iPhone, google) are even quicker, because with them you can just do quick swipes to delete. I should be able to just hit delete, delete, delete. Or able to navigate through the hub with the 30 keys that aren't being used for anything else on the hub screen.

The problem isn't really with the delete end of it. It's with the selection (highlight) part of it. There's no way to highlight per item on the main screen.

And in regards to pressing the delete key. That only works on certain items in the hub. Lots of items like Facebook, Google Talk, etc you have to use the touch contextual to delete.
    Last edited by tyler76; 06-05-13 at 07:18 PM.
    ioansuhov likes this.
    06-05-13 05:02 PM
    Just a thought, but what if the keyboard doubled as a trackpad? That would be sooooo cooooool, if it's not patented, and someone patents it, all i ask is for a free device with this feature lol.

But seriously, if the keyboard was also a trackpad that you could run your fingers over to do gestures like swipe back to delete like on z10 or just to navigate like a trackpad, that would me amazing!

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 likes this.
    06-05-13 05:15 PM
    I think the irony is the Z10 is more efficient at being a BB then the Q10, its too bad the Z doesn't have better battery life
    06-05-13 05:32 PM
    Just a thought, but what if the keyboard doubled as a trackpad? That would be sooooo cooooool, if it's not patented, and someone patents it, all i ask is for a free device with this feature lol.

But seriously, if the keyboard was also a trackpad that you could run your fingers over to do gestures like swipe back to delete like on z10 or just to navigate like a trackpad, that would me amazing!

Posted via CB10
    I actually said the same thing to my friend before, but I don't think you can make the entire keyboard like that since it'll have to read from key to key. But the space bar is pretty spacious. They can probably extend the space bar down a little so it's slightly taller and you can use the space bar as a trackpad... I don't see why that wouldn't work...
    06-05-13 05:48 PM
    I have 35 hard button keys at my disposal! I should be able to manage the whole hub experience straight from the keyboard.
    .....or at least that marvelous trackball that came in handy so many times and made BlackBerry the BlackBerry it used to be.
    06-05-13 05:54 PM
    Yah, it doesn't even need to be anything too sophisticated. Maybe some VIM like navigation. Or simply make the N and P keys select the next and previous items instead of just shuffling the screen around to next and previous days, which isn't all that useful.
    zeteo likes this.
    06-05-13 06:25 PM
    IT gives me the promt, but I have to press on screen to select more items, I did not say my ideas right. Excuse me. I wanted to say that I wish that the deletion of several mails to be as fast as using the trackpad.

Delete will bring up the promp and you can use RETURN/ENTER to confirm deletion -
    06-06-13 07:00 AM
    Well, this issue is another downside of getting rid of the smart pad and menu key (in order to become SO fashionable): you can't highlight hub (inbox) items any longer.

Either you tap one, then it opens.
    Or you tap and hold, and the menu opens.

So the only way to come closer to the efficiency of a trackpad enabled device would be shortcuts.

Otherwise, the Q10 will stay what it is, a nice piece of technology, with a great keyboard to TYPE on, but far from the convenience and the productivity of e.g. a 9900.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 07:25 AM
35 12