Impressions. Keyboard is near perfect-near monopoly which is what saves them. It is also the only reason for me to keep this phone. Software is a significant step backwards except for the browser which is meaningfully faster but still nothing special on the small screen.

Key flaw is removal many features which enabled single handed operations. The lack of some of the small things ruins the whole device -keyboard speed dial eventually like bb10 on playbook, sms groups, no email icon on home screen, music player ugh, font size on inbound email in 4pt font, flick to unlock works on first try 3 out of 5 times and on and on. The Hub- i'm sure many find this a killer app to me a giant yawn-i like everything seperate.

Bought a Galaxy Note 2 which is nearly flawless figuring the giant size would make the on board keyboard usable- utter garbage. BB is treating the q10 user as an after thought. BB10 is clearly designed for touch users and we get the scraps. They have lost the war in touch already they should do what they have to do keep and build world class keyboard devices.

So yes i will keep this heavily flawed mediocre device because of keyboard. But the minute an android mfg'er finally wakes up and produces a good one, it will be goodbye from this decade long user. Sorry.
    06-29-13 10:45 AM
    It seems all that you have mentioned can easily be rectified with a new version of B10 software. I miss the same things but remain optimistic that Blackberry will correct them. As for the touch devices, for most of the population touch devices are the future. All the kids and teenagers growing up now mostly have never used a keyboard phone. I want my BBRY stock to keep some type of value and I think they are correct in focusing on the touch screen devices while maintaining their keyboard using base.
    06-29-13 11:16 AM
    I like being the odd one out, I'm keeping my Q10.
    06-29-13 12:23 PM
    I like being the odd one out, I'm keeping my Q10.
    I'm keeping my Z10, Q10 and PB
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    06-29-13 12:24 PM
    And Welcome to the Forums
    lynxs_claw and elgolfman like this.
    06-29-13 12:24 PM
    Keeping the Q10 - hoping they will allow us to increase the font size inside e-mails.
    I agree with everything you said. A 1.0 OS in a world of 4s, 6.1s and 8s. Not quite enough to compete.
    rdifiori and Jonneh like this.
    06-29-13 12:27 PM
    The software is a step backwards? Are you serious? I understand that they removed some features which are coming back in the 10.2 update but the new software is far from being a step backwards. You must have picked up a knock off.

Posted via Q10RR
    06-29-13 12:29 PM
    Sorry.... I know it's been mentioned more than a few times but I keep forgetting............ what is so wrong with BB7 and the 9900/9930 that makes people step into the BB10/Q10 quick sand?

It seems that everyone complains that the Q10 is not the 9900/9930 and that BB10 is not BB7. If you want the BB10/Q10 to do what the Bold 9900 and BB7 does, why not go there instead?
    yunique likes this.
    06-29-13 12:36 PM
    The q10 really didn't have much impact on the ER seeing as it had less than a month of sales. Q10 came out in middle of May for non US, and mid june for the US
    06-29-13 01:03 PM
    I'm keeping my Z10, Q10 and PB
    I am too!

My Z10 sits in my drawer and is my emergency back-up device.

My PB sits in my basement gathering dust ever since I got an iPad and a cheapo Lenovo Android device.

My Q10 is the only device that is active and it will be gone as soon as it craps out (average BB lifespan these days with heavy use appears to be about 12-18 months max) and I'll be shifting to iOS or Android.

As a previous poster said, if a manufacturer out there figures out that there is a market for a good QWERTY Android or iOS (yes, I know, I'm dreaming) device, they'd have a ready market for it since BBRY has so badly screwed up BB10.
    LudwigvonKast likes this.
    06-29-13 01:09 PM
    I am too!

My Z10 sits in my drawer and is my emergency back-up device.

My PB sits in my basement gathering dust ever since I got an iPad and a cheapo Lenovo Android device.

My Q10 is the only device that is active and it will be gone as soon as it craps out (average BB lifespan these days with heavy use appears to be about 12-18 months max) and I'll be shifting to iOS or Android.

As a previous poster said, if a manufacturer out there figures out that there is a market for a good QWERTY Android or iOS (yes, I know, I'm dreaming) device, they'd have a ready market for it since BBRY has so badly screwed up BB10.
    They haven't "screwed up" bb10. They needed to release a device and with the updates finally being released by the carriers BB10 is only improving. This is by FAR the best BlackBerry that has ever been released. No battery pulls, no hourglass, please tell me you miss that. I haven't pulled my battery a single time. People seem to forget how annoying it was back in the bb7 days to yank out your battery for software updates, uninstallation of apps, hourglass and apps simply not working.

Two thing I agree with you on is that they need to do something BIG, SOON. Second is that I don't think that Android will focus that much on the QWERTY market. People seem to settle for a touchscreen. I can't seem to do that. Steve Jobs wanted as few buttons as possible on his devices so I highly doubt we will ever see a qwerty feature on an iPhone.

If BlackBerry sinks I think a merger with a bigger company will be good. NOT like Palm did with HP. I don't think they'll sink but I'm going over the possibility. The market wants QWERTY devices. The QWERTY market may be small, but it exists, and it's large enough to manufacture devices for.

Posted via Q10RR
    cenloe and organum like this.
    06-29-13 01:52 PM
    itll be a long time before bb sinks...the real test will be next quarters reports AND app development rate after 10.2 is released
    06-29-13 05:26 PM
    The software is a step backwards? Are you serious? I understand that they removed some features which are coming back in the 10.2 update but the new software is far from being a step backwards. You must have picked up a knock off.

Posted via Q10RR
    Hardly. Every time you use it find missing hole in productivity. For example, you need to individually highlight each email by touch to delete no scroll. Can't disable auto dimming. And on and on. They replaced near perfect simplicity and execution across the board to gain what a better browser, a more app friendly environment (for a 3 in screen) and a 4th rate touch platform and touch device in Z10. How many conquest sales is z10 making; how many defections is it stopping? They should have created larger screen qwerty devices and actually replicated the full feature set of the prior os. Know your customer. As a wise man once told me first, protect you base.
    J_R_TheMotorMan, yal27 and Iankis like this.
    06-29-13 09:15 PM
    This is by FAR the best BlackBerry that has ever been released. No battery pulls, no hourglass, please tell me you miss that. I haven't pulled my battery a single time. People seem to forget how annoying it was back in the bb7 days to yank out your battery for software updates, uninstallation of apps, hourglass and apps simply not working.
    You're absolutely right that BB10 is more stable than BB7 and I have yet to experience a freezing device (the dreaded spinning hour glass) but I have had to pull my battery once (although that might have been due to an app -- United Airlines -- freezing up). As for BB10 being "by far the best Blackberry that has ever been released", I think that is a matter of much debate. I personally think that BBRY screwed up BB10 because they grossly failed to take into account the highly valued legacy features that BB users enjoyed with BB7 when they developed BB10 and were forced to play catch up (ie. pin-to-pin messaging in 10.1 which still sucks compared to BB7 pin-to-pin messaging).

I think you're bang on with the rest of your post regarding QWERTY Android and iOS devices. I was just wishing upon a star!
    Drew Guttadore likes this.
    06-29-13 10:00 PM
    Impressions. Keyboard is near perfect-near monopoly which is what saves them. It is also the only reason for me to keep this phone. Software is a significant step backwards except for the browser which is meaningfully faster but still nothing special on the small screen.

Key flaw is removal many features which enabled single handed operations. The lack of some of the small things ruins the whole device -keyboard speed dial eventually like bb10 on playbook, sms groups, no email icon on home screen, music player ugh, font size on inbound email in 4pt font, flick to unlock works on first try 3 out of 5 times and on and on. The Hub- i'm sure many find this a killer app to me a giant yawn-i like everything seperate.

Bought a Galaxy Note 2 which is nearly flawless figuring the giant size would make the on board keyboard usable- utter garbage. BB is treating the q10 user as an after thought. BB10 is clearly designed for touch users and we get the scraps. They have lost the war in touch already they should do what they have to do keep and build world class keyboard devices.

So yes i will keep this heavily flawed mediocre device because of keyboard. But the minute an android mfg'er finally wakes up and produces a good one, it will be goodbye from this decade long user. Sorry.
    The fact that you think the future of any smartphone company is in qwerty keyboards shows how little you know. Every day thousands across the globe are trading their qwerty keyboards for touch screens while very few are going in the opposite direction.
    yal27 likes this.
    06-29-13 10:03 PM
    itll be a long time before bb sinks...the real test will be next quarters reports AND app development rate after 10.2 is released
    The real test always seems to be "next quarter". Last quarter it was because the Z10 was launched mid-quarter to make any real difference. This quarter it was because the Q10 was not launched in the US until the very end of the quarter to make any real difference. What will it be next quarter? Have you seen queues outside AT&T, Verizon or T-mobile stores for the Q10? Are you seeing more Q10s or Z10s in the wild? Is there more positive buzz about the Q10 or Z10 now than there was when these devices were launched (remember Alicia Keys, the Super Bowl, the contests)?

What will next quarter's excuse book look like?

- Oh, the Q5 wasn't launched in time for it to make a difference in the quarter.
    - Q10 and Q5 sales were impacted by Thorsten's comment in the last quarter that a new BB7 flagship device was on the way
    - We have seen "record interest" in Upper Volta, Myanmar and the Niger River Delta for our Q5 devices but due to currency restrictions, our revenues were impacted as the proceeds from those sales were deposited inadvertently into our Venezuelan bank account and we failed to fill out the withdrawal slip in Spanish
    - Why are you so surprised that we lost money again? We told you we would last quarter, didn't we?
    06-29-13 10:07 PM
    When I see the CEO making statements like '10 on PB was not up to scratch' I worry he probably fancies himself as an expert developer.
    The same lack of understanding shows on the Q10 which for me is a good unit but the uneasy mix of touch and qwerty a pain, but less of a pain than just using touch.
    True a CEO must be able to judge dev work but it should be from a great understanding of tech, engineering and marketing. I just don't see this right now, just mega buck marketing spends. Lets hope the next Q brings home the bacon.

Posted via CB10
    LudwigvonKast likes this.
    06-29-13 10:20 PM
    You're mad because you can't scroll to select multiple e-mails for deletion? You do see the option to select more than one at a time, right?

If you do and you're still complaining--news flash--Android and iOS don't have that either.

Can't use it with one hand?

I'm doing it right now.

Posted via CB10
    Bratza likes this.
    06-29-13 10:33 PM
    I don't think they purposely left those old OS features out, they just didn't have time to include them in yet as they are building everything from scratch.
    It is not an excuse but, it is really only version 1 and Blackberry needs more time to get back on their feet. Hopefully they can address all the current issues by 10.2.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 10:41 PM
    I don't think they purposely left those old OS features out, they just didn't have time to include them in yet as they are building everything from scratch.
    It is not an excuse but, it is really only version 1 and Blackberry needs more time to get back on their feet. Hopefully they can address all the current issues by 10.2.

Posted via CB10
    This is the heart of the problem-it is BB10 not BB1. As a first OS it is as good as any MS 1.0 but on a keyboard device it is their 8th? OS and hence fails the installed user base.

I also understand the market is moving to touch. The z10 is inferior in every way to ios and android and the gap will widen. Even Windows phone with its limitations is at least as good. So my point is create a barrier in keyboard phones that no one can compete with ( as an example bigger devices with bigger screens) first and then push into touch. They ported a touch os to the q10 knowing we had no where to go so they stuffed the keyboard user with mediocrity while dreaming that the touch device fairy will deliver millions of new users- which is not going to happen. But keyboard users will abandon this mediocre qwerty OS. Not a lot patience for mediocrity in the tech market in 2013-just look at windows 8.0 and PC sales.
    yal27 likes this.
    06-30-13 08:28 AM
    In terms of work usage/battery life/bandwidth - the Q10 loses to my previous phone, a Nokia E71 (from 1998!). They could fix 99% of the issues I'm having in software.
    06-30-13 09:32 AM
    Sorry.... I know it's been mentioned more than a few times but I keep forgetting............ what is so wrong with BB7 and the 9900/9930 that makes people step into the BB10/Q10 quick sand?
    (Accepting your premise that it is quicksand...)

1. There was a sense that BBOS was dying (still is) -- declining sales/collapsing marketshare.
    2. Lack of modern apps coming to BBOS -- hard to dev for, etc. Existing apps generally are inferior to Android/iOS counterparts.
    3. Technical issues with BBOS -- hourglassing, need for battery pulls, poor battery life on the flagship Bolds (for a number of folks), very tedious and slow app installs and reboots. And so on.

(and I will add from BlackBerrys perspective)

4. There was some mention by RIM that the constant delays in BBOS device releases (remember??), was due to basically having to customize the OS to the hardware each time (something about the radio stack??). Thus a more modern OS was needed to shorten product cycles.
    06-30-13 09:42 AM
    They haven't "screwed up" bb10. They needed to release a device and with the updates finally being released by the carriers BB10 is only improving. This is by FAR the best BlackBerry that has ever been released. No battery pulls, no hourglass, please tell me you miss that. I haven't pulled my battery a single time. People seem to forget how annoying it was back in the bb7 days to yank out your battery for software updates, uninstallation of apps, hourglass and apps simply not working.

Two thing I agree with you on is that they need to do something BIG, SOON. Second is that I don't think that Android will focus that much on the QWERTY market. People seem to settle for a touchscreen. I can't seem to do that. Steve Jobs wanted as few buttons as possible on his devices so I highly doubt we will ever see a qwerty feature on an iPhone.

If BlackBerry sinks I think a merger with a bigger company will be good. NOT like Palm did with HP. I don't think they'll sink but I'm going over the possibility. The market wants QWERTY devices. The QWERTY market may be small, but it exists, and it's large enough to manufacture devices for.

Posted via Q10RR
    The history of IT acquisitions is littered with deceased companies, Compaq, DEC, ROLM, to name a few. I'm sure all of you can add 2 or 3. You wonder in hindsight, why companies buy them in the first place.
    06-30-13 10:05 AM
    Troll article. Nothing to see here

Posted via CB10
    yunique likes this.
    06-30-13 10:10 AM

Posted via Q10RR
    Look. In terms of fluidity and stability it is lightyears ahead; in terms of functionality, the short sighted decision to remove the one-key shortcuts is a significant step backward.
    Obviously, only the people who had that feature enabled and mase use of it on Legacu devices can appreciate that but for us it is huge. We can still hope that will be rectified in a future OS release.

Posted via CBQ10
    06-30-13 03:18 PM
52 123