1. drfever's Avatar
    My son dropped his Q10 in the toilet by accident and managed to grab it after only a couple seconds. He told me his battery level was approx 10% when this happened.

    He told me that he dried it off opened it up, used a blow dryer to get excess water out of crevices and dry his sim and SD card.

    He reinserted the battery and was able to chat for a few minutes with his girlfriend and then the phone shut off with an amber LED inking and the dead battery logo appearing.

    I tried my wife 's q10 to try to charge the battery but no joy.

    Can he be lucky and just suffered a zapped battery or is it likely his phone is zapped?

    I'm afraid to out my wife's good battery into his phone to run a test to see if the problem is a zapped battery. Sure enough the white strip on the battery is red as is the water dot inside the phone (gone from white to red)

    Any thoughts, ideas or helpful commentary would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you all in advance.

    Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    11-16-14 11:48 PM
  2. gl0799's Avatar
    Buy another new one!

    Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 11:55 PM
  3. J_Caloy's Avatar
    At this point, he should have left the phone and battery dry out completely for a couple of days and not use it. Trying to use your phone asap once thinking it's "dried" can cause permanent damage....
    In my opinion, you fried the inner components of the device...
    The phone should have been put in a bag of rice to absorb any moisture left in the device.
    Luckily enough, if you decide to get a new phone, the q10 is only 200$ at shopblackberry for the month of November!
    Good luck!

    Posted via CB10
    Joshu42 likes this.
    11-16-14 11:55 PM
  4. drfever's Avatar
    Well the phone, battery and sim card sat all night in a bag of rice.

    While I was in the shower this morning my son woke up, inserted the sim, battery and plugged in the phone. Boom. Everything came to life...... he managed to leave for school with a 40% battery level.

    Notwithstanding the fact that he didn't listen to me (I would have wanted it to dry and absorb longer ) I also taught him that if something like this should ever happen again, to remove the battery as quickly as he can and not to plug it in.

    We'll see how it goes over the course of the day.

    Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    11-17-14 07:11 AM
  5. Coraya's Avatar
    First of all, it's always a bad idea to use a blow dryer. You're pushing water further into the circuits of the phone AND heating it all up. The battery has to be removed right away and the phone should be put in rice with the battery right beside it. The rice soaks up the water from inside the phone. If you don't want to use rice, take a really strong lamp and direct the light so it focuses directly on the phone and battery. Make sure the lamp is just a few inches away from the phone so the water evaporates.

    The lamp trick work. When I was working at a jewelry store, customers would bring their watches in for water damage repair. We would remove the battery and put the watch under a lamp. The bulb has to face the watch from above. In about 4 or 5 hours all of the water is gone.

    Unfortunately, blow drying the phone, then putting the battery back in could have really fried the circuits. It may not be recoverable but there's never lost in trying.

    Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    11-17-14 07:13 AM
  6. drfever's Avatar
    First of all, it's always a bad idea to use a blow dryer. You're pushing water further into the circuits of the phone AND heating it all up. The battery has to be removed right away and the phone should be put in rice with the battery right beside it. The rice soaks up the water from inside the phone. If you don't want to use rice, take a really strong lamp and direct the light so it focuses directly on the phone and battery. Make sure the lamp is just a few inches away from the phone so the water evaporates.

    The lamp trick work. When I was working at a jewelry store, customers would bring their watches in for water damage repair. We would remove the battery and put the watch under a lamp. The bulb has to face the watch from above. In about 4 or 5 hours all of the water is gone.

    Unfortunately, blow drying the phone, then putting the battery back in could have really fried the circuits. It may not be recoverable but there's never lost in trying.

    Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    Thanks. I'll make sure I mention the cons of using a blow dryer on it after I pick him up from school.

    Better yet I'll tell him to get that battery out fast in the event it should happen again and just give me the device so I can take it from there.

    Cheers

    Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    11-17-14 11:04 AM

Similar Threads

  1. No q10 on Shopblackberry store
    By Christofforo in forum BlackBerry Q10
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-20-14, 10:17 PM
  2. Please help, leak not installing
    By JoseMercedes in forum BlackBerry 10 OS
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-18-14, 04:25 PM
  3. HELP again!
    By ultra07 in forum BlackBerry Z30
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-17-14, 04:16 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-17-14, 02:58 AM
  5. Q10 sprint unlocked for tmo
    By dmateo in forum BlackBerry Q10
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-14, 04:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD